"Nanotechnology Patches"

A skeptical look at medical practices
TurkeyWatch

"Nanotechnology Patches"

Post by TurkeyWatch » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:15 pm

Has anyone seen this latest product from an MLM company? I have been inundated with information the past few weeks. As a health care professional (Physical Therapist), I am astounded by the number of health care providers who are willing to peddle this type of product. I read the literature and it certainly seems like just another form of psuedoscience being used to peddle a product to me.

Don_Fernandez
Poster

Post by Don_Fernandez » Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:43 pm

You mean the LifeWave patches?

Yep, it's nonsense. The critique in the link I gave is not exhaustive (seriously, much more could be objected to the statements by the company) but is more than enough to realize that is all pseudoscience. The version critiqued there may not be their latest pseudoscience tract but the objections are still valid.
Nanotechnology is the new buzzword for scams it seems.

And of course some are of the opinion that MLM is a scam all by itself (the site linked has more info on the scam).

Scam techniques used to sell scams...

James Randi has also written on the LifeWave patches

For a better idea of what nanotechnology is and its real applications check the US National Nanotechnology Initiative website ( http://www.nano.gov ).

Some (wrong) statements from their webpage ( lifewave.com/the_technology.asp ):

Nanotechnology is described as "Manufactured products that are made from atoms. The properties of those products depend on how those atoms are arranged. If we rearrange the atoms in coal we can make diamonds. If we rearrange the atoms in sand we can make computer chips. If we rearrange the atoms in dirt, water and air we can make potatoes."

The LifeWave™Technology takes advantage of nanotechnology resulting in an all natural product that communicates with the user to improve energy and well being without stimulants. Clinical studies have shown increases in energy and strength endurance within only minutes of using the patches.
A terrible definition of nanotech. Their concept of nanotech is a very bad rendition of the universal assembler of Drexler (an idea which by itself is doubted by many scientists). All matter is made of atoms, rearranging coal (pure graphite would be a better choice) to diamond can be made simply by high pressure. Computer chips are made with silicon, which does come from "sand" (which is mostly silicon dioxide) but through conventional chemical processing, no nanotech involved.

What is in the Patches?

All LifeWave™ patches contain the LifeWave™ technology. The materials in the patches consist of a patent pending blend of water, Oxygen, amino acids and organics applied to a polyester fabric and sealed within a polymer shell. The active materials are applied to a substrate so as to form a nano-scale organic antenna. When properly assembled, we believe that these LifeWave™ antennas are capable of passively communicating with the user to instruct or initiate various metabolic responses in the user.
There are no nanomaterial or nanotechnology in their patches. If a blend of water, aminoacids and organic compounds was nanotech any fruit juice would be nanotechnology. There is no such thing as a nanoscale organic antenna.

What I think really tells what this is, in their very own words is the disclaimer at the end of the page:
The statements herein have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. We certify that all LifeWave™ patches are manufactured at FDA registered facilities and in accordance with the specifications in our Patent filing. LifeWave™, LLC does not endorse claims or have scientific proof that it's products are effective in the cure, mitigation, treatment or prevention of disease in man or animal. This product is not intended to be used in the treatment, prevention or cure of disease. Use product only as directed. Do not use product if you have a health condition. Please consult your healthcare professional before using should you have any concerns.

I could go on debunking their pseudoscience but it would make me nauseous. :evil:

Note: I deliberately avoided making an active link to their website and deliberately made any mention of their name a link to criticism of their claims.

TurkeyWatch

Post by TurkeyWatch » Wed Aug 10, 2005 12:38 am

Thank you for the valuable links and information. It is great to find a few things to forward to those folks who continue to "pitch" me!

flyer1
Regular Poster

Post by flyer1 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 12:14 pm

Do not use product if you have a health condition. Please consult your healthcare professional before using should you have any concerns.

DO NOT USE IF YOU HAVE A HEALTH CONDITION!?!?!!?!?!

Well, that certainly covers all their bases! :shock:
"Have you seen my people, magician?" said the unicorn. "They are wild and sea-white, like me."
Schmendrick shook his head. "I have never seen anyone like you, not while I was awake."