[Science News] Desalination pours more toxic brine into the ocean than previously thought

Posts from RSS feeds of Earth
RSS Fetch
Posting Bot

[Science News] Desalination pours more toxic brine into the ocean than previously thought

Post by RSS Fetch » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:17 pm

Desalination plants help offset the world’s growing water needs, but they also produce much more supersalty water than scientists realized.

Source: https://www.sciencenews.org/article/des ... ly-thought

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Re: [Science News] Desalination pours more toxic brine into the ocean than previously thought

Post by Gord » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 am

How could they not realise how much supersalty water it was producing? Did they get their basic maths wrong?
...Previous evaluations didn’t assess how much brine these facilities produced, Qadir says. Scientists assumed that desalination facilities on average equally produced brine and pure water — one liter of brine for every liter of pure water. That turned out to be wrong.

Using data on the water sources and technology used at desalination facilities around the globe, Qadir and his colleagues estimated for the first time how much brine is discharged daily. For every liter of pure water made, they found that on average 1.5 liters of highly concentrated brine is released back into the environment....
:facepalm:

How is this even possible. Who runs any kind of operation without knowing (1) intake and (2) output. You can't even run maintenance on your plant without knowing those numbers.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: [Science News] Desalination pours more toxic brine into the ocean than previously thought

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:49 pm

Gord wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:33 am
How could they not realise how much supersalty water it was producing? Did they get their basic maths wrong?
...Previous evaluations didn’t assess how much brine these facilities produced, Qadir says. Scientists assumed that desalination facilities on average equally produced brine and pure water — one liter of brine for every liter of pure water. That turned out to be wrong.

Using data on the water sources and technology used at desalination facilities around the globe, Qadir and his colleagues estimated for the first time how much brine is discharged daily. For every liter of pure water made, they found that on average 1.5 liters of highly concentrated brine is released back into the environment....
:facepalm:

How is this even possible. Who runs any kind of operation without knowing (1) intake and (2) output. You can't even run maintenance on your plant without knowing those numbers.
The engineers designing; constructors constructing the plant; the operators operating; maintenance people in the plant all know.

It's the scientists studying the environmental impact from the outside who don't know.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

TJrandom
True Skeptic

Post by TJrandom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:51 pm

Eventually that desalinated water gets used; returns to discharged moisture, and over time makes it back into the oceans. The only impact should be temporary higher salinized water near the plant. Am I wrong? :?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:36 am

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:51 pm
Eventually that desalinated water gets used; returns to discharged moisture, and over time makes it back into the oceans. The only impact should be temporary higher salinized water near the plant. Am I wrong? :?
The impact is the redistribution of saline, causing concentrations in areas where there were no concentrations before. If you kill off most of the biosphere near the plant, you also impact other nearby areas in the same way farmland impacts surrounding wildlife -- by reducing the overall habitable area, limiting the ability to move between areas, possibly isolating some populations and creating a bottleneck on the remaining genepool.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm

Whats needed is a longer hose. Problem solved.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:04 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:32 pm
Whats needed is a longer hose. Problem solved.
Well, cargo ships to carry the brine sufficiently far away from shore - I can't see how the amount of brine generated can possibly be significant to the saline concentration of the oceans as a whole.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm

Thats my very point. Its excellent that the brine is so concentrated BECAUSE that means the desalination is so efficient. I thought the plants all had hoses out into the ocean. Now..................evidently...............too many of those hoses just go a short distance off shore and need to be longer. SO MAKE THEM LONGER.......like out to below 1000 feet or into a strong current? While knowing nothing.......I do assume the Ocean can take this abuse since the salt was there 6 hours earlier.

People Being being hysterical.

Silly hoomans.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:54 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:08 pm
Thats my very point. Its excellent that the brine is so concentrated BECAUSE that means the desalination is so efficient. I thought the plants all had hoses out into the ocean. Now..................evidently...............too many of those hoses just go a short distance off shore and need to be longer. SO MAKE THEM LONGER.......
Which is an added cost . . .
like out to below 1000 feet or into a strong current? While knowing nothing.......I do assume the Ocean can take this abuse since the salt was there 6 hours earlier.

People Being being hysterical.

Silly hoomans.
. . . which the plants will not take on until enough people get hysterical and prod the governments into forcing the plants to take care of the problem.

That's how the world works, Bobbo.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:44 am

Oleg: Yes.........and?

landrew
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by landrew » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:59 am

Do the math. Seawater comes out of the ocean, salt goes back in.
It's salt-neutral.
How stupid.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:04 am

World Wide Net/Net that is true...............but the issue is local hot spots which just makes common sense.

hence the longer hose.

I was going to joke the Israeli's could just hook the outgo to the Gaza Water Supply and claim they were helping....but I thought that was a line better not crossed.

YES, YES, YES...............have the outlet of the hose where "localized" conditions won't arise. If you can't do that, you can't have your fresh water.