SCOC Upholds Discreditation of Religious Law School

Stuff of interest on the Web...
OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

SCOC Upholds Discreditation of Religious Law School

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:19 pm

Background:
Trinity Western University, in Langley, BC, is an evangelical university with several academic programs. Their mandate is to provide post secondary education in a Christian environment. They wanted to add a Law School to their program.
Students at TWU have to sign a covenant that they will not engage in sexual behaviour outside of a man-woman marriage. The members of the Law Society of BC decided to not give accreditation to the law school on the basis that the covenant is discriminatory to LGBTQ people.
Court cases ensued.

The Supreme Court of Canada today upheld the Law Society decision.

CBC report

Supreme Court decision

This was a 7-2 decision consistent with other recent decisions, that freedom of religion does not include the right to impose religious beliefs on people who do not share them.

The dissension was over the question of whether or not the Law Society of BC had a mandate to make such a ruling, not on the merits of the ruling.

The SCOC decision does not affect any other programs at TWU, but other professional organizations (doctors, nurses for examples) may have something to say in future.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Re: SCOC Upholds Discreditation of Religious Law School

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:04 pm

Sounds like a civilized and rational decision. He'll do unspeakable things to you.
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:41 am

The issue doesn't stop though. I assume the school will just operate an "unaccredited" law school.....which really is what they should do to support their moral position. ((Hmmmm....I wonder what "general education" accreditation they have?)) Nothing "wrong" with that and there should be no law against it. I assume all you have to do in Canada/USA? to be a lawyer is to pass the bar exam? Might be easier if you go to an accredited school, and might be easier to get a job....but lack thereof should not be disqualifying. Ha, ha....or make it the law for all professions and licenses???? Can't cut hair or clean a cess tank unless you were trained by people who support L;BGQTRSUVXY....or, whatever you have.

I assume the Christian Association accredits their schools and most non-catholic man/wife organizations fail to qualify? Its a two way street.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:11 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:The issue doesn't stop though. I assume the school will just operate an "unaccredited" law school.....which really is what they should do to support their moral position. ((Hmmmm....I wonder what "general education" accreditation they have?)) Nothing "wrong" with that and there should be no law against it. I assume all you have to do in Canada/USA? to be a lawyer is to pass the bar exam? Might be easier if you go to an accredited school, and might be easier to get a job....but lack thereof should not be disqualifying. Ha, ha....or make it the law for all professions and licenses???? Can't cut hair or clean a cess tank unless you were trained by people who support L;BGQTRSUVXY....or, whatever you have.

I assume the Christian Association accredits their schools and most non-catholic man/wife organizations fail to qualify? Its a two way street.
If unaccredited, their graduates can't practice law. At least, not here.

The thinking around here is that TWU will drop the covenant.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:46 am

Oleg: thanks for that. I could be wrong....but I think in the USA ....oh, lets just look it up?===>

((What Does It Take To Be A Lawyer))

If you are interested in becoming a lawyer, there are certain education requirements you need to satisfy. Typically, it takes around 7 years of full-time study to become a lawyer after you have graduated from high school. You will first need to enroll in a 4-year undergraduate degree and complete it. Afterward, you will need to take the Law School Admission Test (LSAT) and apply to a Juris Doctorate (J.D.) degree program from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association (ABA). Once you have graduated, you will need to pass the bar exam of a state you wish to practice in.

.........but it seems to me I have heard of attorneys who never even went to law school? so, lets look further===> xxxx same info, but while searching, it occurred to me that I was remembering a tv show where some guy with "street smarts" was working with a lawyer who was more of a detective, and he was helping in order to become a lawyer? something like that. So

((Can I take the bar exam without going to law school?))
Today, only four states — California, Virginia, Vermont, and Washington — allow aspiring lawyers to take the bar exam without going to law school. Instead, they are given the option to apprentice with a practicing attorney or judge. ... The numbers for those who take the apprenticeship route are much more dismal.Jan 6, 2017

So....you can still have an unaccredited law school which should help pass the bar exam but you would still need to get an apprenticeship as well?

In other words: I'm wrong. Thanks Oleg.
Real Name: bobbo the existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 2:50 am

OlegTheBatty wrote: If unaccredited, their graduates can't practice law. At least, not here.
Accredited or Unaccredited .... you have to pass the bar exam, pay the fees?, and so forth. I was wrong thinking that going to an unaccredited school just meant it might be harder to pass the bar exam especially if you say the Highest Law of the Land is Gods Word as Revealed in the Bible?
OlegTheBatty wrote: The thinking around here is that TWU will drop the covenant.
Or...damn the entire profession of law as an abomination before the Lord?.........too close to call, or will they follow Mammon?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:41 am

Had another thought: I disagree with not accrediting a school based on its religious beliefs and tenants. It doesn't matter what they believe: but rather what they teach, how they support the students and what not. The whole point of the law it seems to me is that it is supposed teach how to get the law changed if you don't like it? So: "We are against gay marriage" and teach that currently the law is fully in support of gay rights as an extension/interpretation of basic human rights. As long as you have enough law books in the library, parking spots for the cars, teacher to student ratio, heat and cool your buildings etc........whats the beef?

No different than Religions based Hospitals: doens't matter what they believe as long as they provide the appropriate care (yes...I know the close cases).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:27 am

It keeps niggling at me.........the function of UN accredited law schools. If to take the bar you have to have a degree from an accredited law school, why the redundant label? So...I googled (unaccredited law school) and it becomes pure mush. The Big Rule is the school must be accredited....but the detail JUST THE OPPOSITE and evidently some class by class analysis can be made and violet: you can still take the bar. Horrible double speak:

"Students attending registered unaccredited law schools are required to take the First-Year Law Students' Examination and must pass it within three administrations after first becoming eligible to take the examination, which is upon completion of the first year of law study, in order to receive credit for law study undertaken up to the point of passage." and more: http://www.calbar.ca.gov/Admissions/Law ... accredited

Seems to me the reality, at least in California?, is you can get a law degree from an UNaccredited law school and then, or during that process, jump through a few more hoops before actually taking the bar. Not an iron clad requirement to go to an accredited law school. I suspect with no basis at all, Canada might be the same?