It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:34 am

2:30 and he still hasn't gotten to whatever his obvious issue is.

Can't you give it one sentence...........and a time hack?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:38 am

Looks like Deutsch Bank is just one of a cabal of Russian Money Laundering big banks:
https://www.thisisinsider.com/expos-on- ... nks-2019-3

You got to hand it to Trump: every denial is a solid investigative lead in poor disguise.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:38 pm

The Trump Organization may be charged as a Criminal Enterprise
Even if only some of these multiple crimes were to be proven, then the Trump Organization would be at risk of being charged as a “RICO enterprise”, i.e. a racketeering enterprise within the meaning of the Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act, commonly referred to as the RICO Act. If that were to happen, then the Trump Organization, its leaders and its members could, as the New York Times suggests, be subject to draconian financial and other penalties, that could threaten the Trump Organization's very existence.
Now if it could just happen before the end of 2019...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:23 pm

They're really looking at every crook. And what about their nanny?
Lard, save me from your followers.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:34 pm

Gord wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:17 am
Apparently, Trump's wall is easier to breach than a chain-link fence:

The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 am

landrew wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:34 pm
Gord wrote:

Best. Post. EV-errrrrr!

I can't see the image and I assume no one else can either, so I'm being sarcastic.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:15 am

Gord wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:59 am
landrew wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 6:34 pm
Gord wrote:

Best. Post. EV-errrrrr!

I can't see the image and I assume no one else can either, so I'm being sarcastic.
11-border-wall-steel-prototype-nbc-news-exclusive.w700.h700.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm

I can see the image (here and when originally shared). While it does show a breach in the fence, it doesn't look easier than cutting a chain-link fence.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:06 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm
I can see the image (here and when originally shared). While it does show a breach in the fence, it doesn't look easier than cutting a chain-link fence.
No, but the test showed that a standard metal saw is sufficient.
If you want proper border security, you need a staggered sensor network as Israel has in place.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Mar 08, 2019 4:33 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:37 pm
Security-grade chain-link is thicker, hardened steel. It can't be cut with wire-cutters like residential or commercial grade chain-link fencing. The news story associated with the photo said that the hole in the Trump fencing was made with a cheap metal saw.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:41 pm

That wasn't only cut with a metal saw - look at the cut edges; some have burn/torch drip nodules. Especially look at the top cuts - very uneven. This site appears to be for testing, with some of the cuts done with a saw, and some with a torch, and probably several types of torches. The box slats appear to have been filled with a cement based grout - very sandy; no stones. A saw might accomplish a cut, but would dull quickly once it reached the core, plus one would need a generator.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (nutty Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 3:29 pm

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 pm

Omar claims Obama comments were distorted by reporter – but her own audio says otherwise-----------Rep. Ilhan Omar’s attempt to shame a news outlet for misquoting her blistering attack on former President Barack Obama backfired after she released audio of the interview that only served to confirm her remarks.

The Minnesota Democrat, who’s faced controversy over comments perceived as anti-Semitic, got into hot water yet again after saying Obama’s “hope and change” message was a “mirage” and slammed the administration’s drone and border-detention policies.
-------------She told Politico that the Obama administration was responsible for the “caging of kids” at the U.S.-Mexico border, the “droning of countries around the world,” and that the 44th president “operated within the same fundamentally broken framework as his Republican successor."

“We can’t be only upset with Trump. … His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar is quoted as saying in the article. “And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:35 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Omar...told Politico that the Obama administration was responsible for the “caging of kids” at the U.S.-Mexico border, the “droning of countries around the world,”...
It's not her who claimed that. She qualified those words by saying that's what people would answer her when she spoke about any of the subjects re others.
...“We can’t be only upset with Trump. … His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar is quoted as saying in the article. “And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”
She was talking about Cheney and Rumsfeld (and their puppy). :mrgreen:

(And I can't for the life of me figure out what she finds pretty about pumpkin face...)

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:52 pm

she said obama
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Mar 09, 2019 8:05 pm

Many people have said - and still are saying - "Obama". What's your point?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:35 pm
gorgeous wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 7:12 pm
Omar...told Politico that the Obama administration was responsible for the “caging of kids” at the U.S.-Mexico border, the “droning of countries around the world,”...
It's not her who claimed that. She qualified those words by saying that's what people would answer her when she spoke about any of the subjects re others.
...“We can’t be only upset with Trump. … His policies are bad, but many of the people who came before him also had really bad policies. They just were more polished than he was,” Omar is quoted as saying in the article. “And that’s not what we should be looking for anymore. We don’t want anybody to get away with murder because they are polished. We want to recognize the actual policies that are behind the pretty face and the smile.”
She was talking about Cheney and Rumsfeld (and their puppy). :mrgreen:

(And I can't for the life of me figure out what she finds pretty about pumpkin face...)
:lol: :lol:

While Obama is miles above Trump, it still must be said that he made some big blunders (like announcing in advance a date certain for pulling out of Iraq) and some shady compromises (like keeping Guantanamo open and waging drone warfare).

Speaking of drone warfare, am I wrong to wonder what kind of human being is willing to be a drone pilot? As I understand it, these people sit in safety and comfort thousands of miles from the site of the action and use a computer to destroy whatever "targets" they are given. ("Targets" being a euphemism for "human beings.") Can a person do that without losing his humanity? I can't imagine simply pushing a button and killing another human being who is a total stranger to me just because my boss assures me that's a bad guy. I especially can't imagine doing this knowing how fallible the targeting has been, up to now.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Not sure. Maybe the distance is a helping factor, not a hurdle? Makes it less real, like a computer game?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 4:34 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 am

Speaking of drone warfare, am I wrong to wonder what kind of human being is willing to be a drone pilot? As I understand it, these people sit in safety and comfort thousands of miles from the site of the action and use a computer to destroy whatever "targets" they are given. ("Targets" being a euphemism for "human beings.") Can a person do that without losing his humanity? I can't imagine simply pushing a button and killing another human being who is a total stranger to me just because my boss assures me that's a bad guy. I especially can't imagine doing this knowing how fallible the targeting has been, up to now.
I can't remember where I saw it, but there was a TV show recently where a former drone-pilot had a sort of mental breakdown, and undertook some sort of personal mission to compensate the family of victims of his actions, as I recall. Although it was fiction, quite often it's inspired by factual events.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:06 pm

obama loved to watch the drone slaughter...what a psycho...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:09 pm

You're projecting again, ghoulie.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:30 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 11:18 am

Were tapes of these 'command rooms' available, I suspect that we would hear disparaging names – towel-head, baby killer, or worse. All used to dehumanise and shift the blame for their 'elimination' to the victim and load praise on the team. This will have been taught and encouraged during simulation training sessions, as well as self-motivated to mask any shred of guilt felt by the drone operator.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:11 pm

books written said obama loved watching drone strikes...
Obama's drone war is a shameful part of his legacy - The Washington ...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/.../obam ... -8967-7ac7...

May 5, 2016 - It's not clear that drones, which have killed civilians, are effective against terrorism.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm

Obama admits drone strikes kill innocent Pakistanis
RT America

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:08 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm
RT America
There's never been any doubt that collateral damage happens with drone strikes. But drones are an improvement over an air-strike by an AC-130 gunship with a 105 mm cannon.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:24 pm

hope if your family gets murdered you would call it "collateral damage"...

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm

landrew wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:08 pm
gorgeous wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 8:14 pm
RT America
There's never been any doubt that collateral damage happens with drone strikes. But drones are an improvement over an air-strike by an AC-130 gunship with a 105 mm cannon.
Yeah, for sure. The issue that I raised applies to any use of high-tech weapons. It's (I feel) a bit more acute in the case of drone operators because they sit in absolute safety and comfort raining down destruction on people about whom they know nothing except that their boss wants them killed.

It must have been a strain to drop the two nuclear bombs on Japan, but at least the crews that did it were putting themselves in danger to do so. Still, the certain knowledge that you are killing tens of thousands of innocent children would, in normal times, cause some glitches in the soul, I would think. But I was too young (3 years old when they were dropped) to remember just how much hatred of the enemy there was at the time. Well, the world has some very terrible parts in it. But there is no use sitting around and stewing about that unless one is going to take concrete action to eliminate those parts. And in general, I don't even know how to go about doing that.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm
It must have been a strain to drop the two nuclear bombs on Japan, but at least the crews that did it were putting themselves in danger to do so. Still, the certain knowledge that you are killing tens of thousands of innocent children would, in normal times, cause some glitches in the soul, I would think. But I was too young (3 years old when they were dropped) to remember just how much hatred of the enemy there was at the time. Well, the world has some very terrible parts in it. But there is no use sitting around and stewing about that unless one is going to take concrete action to eliminate those parts. And in general, I don't even know how to go about doing that.
"Humane warfare" is a modern phenomenon. The second world war was a time of rising anti-Japanese hatred, fueled by government propaganda. Besides that, the US was facing large losses of human life in the taking of each island from the Japanese, because they often chose to fight to the death. I believe there was very little love lost towards Japan when the Americans were contemplating using the atomic bombs. I believe at the time there was little hesitation or debate about it beforehand.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:36 am

landrew wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:41 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2019 10:24 pm
"Humane warfare" is a modern phenomenon. The second world war was a time of rising anti-Japanese hatred, fueled by government propaganda. Besides that, the US was facing large losses of human life in the taking of each island from the Japanese, because they often chose to fight to the death. I believe there was very little love lost towards Japan when the Americans were contemplating using the atomic bombs. I believe at the time there was little hesitation or debate about it beforehand.
Yes, I agree. Add to that the fact that most Americans didn't even know we had this weapon until it was deployed.

There were two motives, at least, that I can see for dropping those bombs. One was to save the lives of Americans that would have been lost in an invasion of Japan. To that motive, I note that those lives could also have been saved by settling for something less than unconditional surrender. There's ample record that Japan was seeking to end the war for some months before it actually ended; diplomacy might have achieved that. The consequences of such a settlement might have been worse than what actually ensued, but they might also have been better. It's impossible to say. The other motive (well, ONE of the other motives anyway) was to demonstrate to the world that we had this super-weapon and were prepared to use it; in other words, Realpolitik.

Well, it happened the way it did. History doesn't allow a do-over, so all we can do is note what happened and try to learn from it.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

A modest proposal

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am

I note that some TRUMPets in Alabama are now proudly sporting Bibles signed by the only man I know who has enthusiastically embraced all of the Seven Deadly Sins. He's their messiah, perhaps the most hideous blasphemy in the great tradition of people who used to recruit for the KKK at church on Sunday. So, let's give Messiah a chance to demonstrate his power. Challenge him to feed the crowd of cheering supporters at his next campaign rally with only a bag of Cheetos and a six-pack of Diet Coke.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: A modest proposal

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am
I note that some TRUMPets in Alabama are now proudly sporting Bibles signed by the only man I know who has enthusiastically embraced all of the Seven Deadly Sins. He's their messiah, perhaps the most hideous blasphemy in the great tradition of people who used to recruit for the KKK at church on Sunday. So, let's give Messiah a chance to demonstrate his power. Challenge him to feed the crowd of cheering supporters at his next campaign rally with only a bag of Cheetos and a six-pack of Diet Coke.
What is a Trump autographed bible worth on e-bay?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

TJrandom
Has No Life

Re: A modest proposal

Post by TJrandom » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:46 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:38 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:42 am
What is a Trump autographed bible worth on e-bay?
How would anyone know if it wasn’t faked – thus reducing its value?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! ('new and improved Trump' thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:56 pm

Yeah. He practiced performing those "manly, self-assured commanding" spikes diligently - anyone can do the same. :-P

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (transparent Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:17 am

...and he keeps praising Manafort for not squealing - on what?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:20 pm

In his first two years in office, Trump ordered almost twice as many drone strike as Obama did in his.
Only difference is that Obama tried to make it more transparent, a policy that Trump reversed.
Hope you are glad for your non-interventionist President.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (poor Trump thread)

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:25 am

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Mar 14, 2019 1:41 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:23 am

It's Stella! I was wondering to whom he was describing all those differently sized round objects. :-P

But it's very true what he says about the follow-up questions. I had a few of my own...

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:11 pm

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 am

Looks like Trump is in trouble for 2020: unless he releases his tax returns, he can't go on the state's ballot.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watc ... 020-ballot

New Jersey has a similar law in the works.