It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by gorgeous » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm

Obama declares that we must stop illegal immigration in stunning change of tone. #CaravanInvasion #Mexico #IllegalAlien #obama pic.twitter.com/qJyNQ0Roju
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:38 pm

gorgeous wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:25 pm
Obama declares that we must stop illegal immigration in stunning change of tone. #CaravanInvasion #Mexico #IllegalAlien #obama pic.twitter.com/qJyNQ0Roju
If he said it in 2005, how is it a change of tone?

The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

gorgeous
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by gorgeous » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:40 pm

changed it then----just showing all presidents do the same ...he had tear gas shot at illegals once a month and deported more than any other president...
Science Fundamentalism...is exactly what happens when there’s a significant, perceived ideological threat to one’s traditions and identity.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:46 pm

I get your point:
we need more resources to process people arriving at the border to quickly determine personal risk and send back those with insufficient cause for asylum.
A few tens of million $ would be plenty to accomplish that.

Too bad we are out of money because some idiot wasted over $100 mil to take 5,000 soldiers away from their families over Thanksgiving and have them camp near the border (but nowhere near the migrants).

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:03 pm

Or they could use a little of the still untouched 1.3 billion appropriated last year by Congress for wall-building.

I guess he hasn't tracked down yet the most fitting Mar-a-Lego members to manage that pittance...
Lard, save me from your followers.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:31 pm

Just listened to one of the recently ousted Reprehensiblesentatives whining about unfair election laws costing them seats. :laff:

I think he might be onto something. People have gotten really fed up with their voter suppression tactics. :-P

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:56 pm

Of course illegal immigration should be prohibited, but in the main: WE DON'T.

Of course legal asylum seekers should be processed according to law, but in the main: WE DON'T.

Just look. Behind the curtain, its money and politics of our elite class, NOT what we the people actually want.

……………………….aka...……………….same as always.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:33 pm

Maybe a bit long, but I found this to be a good read- if only more evangelicals would ‘see the light’.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ev ... 230fa57ae9

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:24 pm

"If the religious could be reasoned with, they wouldn't be religious to begin with." by I forget who.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:51 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 4:17 pm
Trump cheated on his "easy" test when answering Mueller's written questions by having Manafort's lawyer give the answers to his own legal team. :lol:
That probably kept Trump from committing any NEW perjury. But word just came down the rumor mill that Manafort doesn't have a get-out-of-jail free card. The story goes that he was forced to plead guilty to a number of New Jersey STATE crimes that Trump can't pardon him for. He's toast.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:13 pm

I also heard that any protection agreement went out the window with his now nixed deal - if so, a rather unwise decision by Manafort to put all his marbles into the Trump hairnet...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:29 pm

………..………..knowing nothing...……………….

It seems to me the ONLY speculation that makes sense is Manafort is protecting himself and family from poison tipped umbrellas and door knobs. Not everything is Trump and Politics. Before that: its money......and who paid for what years ago.

Know what I mean?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:47 pm

I think so. And he might be feeling safer atm by sticking with Putin's lapdog - but there will come a time when that dog is being dropped onto the road out of a driving car.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:32 am

Just woke up to an Excellent "Rachel Madow to the Rescue" reviewing Nixon impeachment papers and how they match point for point for what Nixon was doing in secret with what Trump is doing in Public. Yes.....American Institutions holding against Trump...…….((as stated: HOOEY!)). Our Main Stream Media is SOOOOOOO LAME.

She went on with Lawrence ODonnel right after her about the Manafort AND HIS ATTORNEYS which would thereby include Trump AND HIS ATTORNEYS having a whole new set of conspiracy/bribery/collusion/interference in criminal investigation area of investigation/charges. Rather amusing actually: you can't claim or do a "cooperative defensive agreement" when you have NO DEFENSE. I can see the normal routine of violating the law in secrecy continuing when under the unusual circumstance of a convicted felon violating a plea agreement. I mean: THAT really doesn't happen all that often. Usually the lying stops when you plead guilty to same in a court of law and you are AWAITING SENTENCING.

sO...with Death by Putin always a reality, I hereby switch my vote to what everyone admitted to today.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am

TJrandom wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:33 pm
Maybe a bit long, but I found this to be a good read- if only more evangelicals would ‘see the light’.

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ev ... 230fa57ae9
Not a bit long. It's just the right length. The only thing missing was a reminder how completely evangelicals have forgotten that Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world." They want it to be "of this world," and they want to be the ones running it. Not that they ever will, but they will make a hell of a lot of trouble trying to do so. Those who haven't read The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood will find in it a reasonable facsimile of the world these nutters would create if they could.

The author seems like a very nice woman. I hope, since she's not ready to become an atheist, that she finds a compatible liberal Christian community. The basic belief drilled into the head of nearly every Christian in childhood is that without a belief in God, a person would become entirely self-seeking. They have no understanding that the craving for money and power are not the central drives for most people. Most people want much more to be accepted and loved by their friends, neighbors, and family. So, they worry needlessly that if they gave up their religion, they'd no longer know right from wrong.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:21 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:13 pm
I also heard that any protection agreement went out the window with his now nixed deal - if so, a rather unwise decision by Manafort to put all his marbles into the Trump hairnet...
Yeah. I wish there was more definite information about the state charges Manafort is facing. If he has lied to Mueller, his guilty plea will now, I presume, subject him to sentencing in New Jersey.

(Thank goodness he's in a state where the court system can't be corrupted. No one ever buys his way out of prison there.) :mrgreen:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:13 pm

Didn't he commit tax fraud/money laundering in Virgina? I think whatever Gates pleaded guilty to applies to his former boss also. :-P

ETA https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trials_of ... n_Virginia

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:03 pm
Or they could use a little of the still untouched 1.3 billion appropriated last year by Congress for wall-building.

I guess he hasn't tracked down yet the most fitting Mar-a-Lego members to manage that pittance...
...like the ones who are wrecking the VA right now and screwed up payments for vets (apparently caused in part by something different Dear Leader wanted to add). And there's no intention to make up for the lost funds, since, ya know, "computing is hard"!

His ignorance, delusions and mismanagement are beginning to definitely show all over the place - will his adoring puppets still believe it's all caused by them damn Libs?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:54 pm

His ignorance, delusions and mismanagement are beginning to definitely show all over the place - will his adoring puppets still believe it's all caused by them damn Libs?
You need to ask? :scratch:
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:

Mebbe. Because it seems only the silliest ones of them actually believe any of the nonsense. Seems most simply enjoy playing along with the game show...

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:10 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:56 pm
OlegTheBatty wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:09 pm
scrmbldggs wrote:

Mebbe. Because it seems only the silliest ones of them actually believe any of the nonsense. Seems most simply enjoy playing along with the game show...
I'd bet that the venn diagram of believers and players would have a large center.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:35 am

As the delegates arrive, the Kremlin has said it has agreed a deal with Washington for Vladimir Putin to meet with US president Donald Trump to discuss the situation in Ukraine.

However, in light of new developments re Cohen and Mueller, Trump canceled a scheduled(?) meeting via TwitTer. Looks like Frau Merkel is gonna miss some fireworks at a presumably very interesting G20 summit...

Will he be able to communicate more than just repeating "no collusion, no collusion" and "no deals with Russia" for the time he's there?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 am

Thinking about Cohen and his light sentence for being a Cooperating Witness, I fancifully thought it was too bad Trump had no one to flip on to get a light sentence. Then it came to me. As Presnedent, he could submit the USA to the authority of the International Criminal Court and then Flip of Putin. TA DAH: "The Aristocrats." Its his only way out...…..but he's a business man and won't figure it out.

Manafort: with all the STate charges so easily available, seems to me that seeking/relying on a pardon is a fools wish. The Russian Hit Team while real is somewhat removed? So.....in my unending death spiral to explain Manaforts trajectory, I'm thinking after a lifetime of success by lying and moving around, I bet he simply thought he could plow his way through all this. ANY jail time at his age is about a life sentence so why not go for broke? ………………...Heh, heh...……..and Broke it sure looks like its gonna be.

Even this "Tribal Politics" BS won't hold up. Seems the American Voter after cutting his own throat still has the common sense ultimately to call for an ambulance. Then...…..its just a question of timing, and cleaning up all the blood.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:51 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:40 am
…..and Broke Burke it sure looks like its gonna be...
(hope ya'll forgive me, heheh)

But issit good cops or bad cops? :scratch:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:01 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:51 am
Either or both work better for any given situation. Not knowing which, if resources exist, I'd say using both will have the best track record. Mueller sure is showing the criminal public the benefits of working with him. Manafort is going to show us all the bad cop side of his program....................

This is like a bad Sy-Fy Original Production: Nazi Flags flying over our Country. UNbelievable, yet here we are. SIGNED freaking letters of intent to build the Largest Hotel in Russia with Putin getting the top Penthouse for free and "I have no business with Russia" Trump overseeing the whole operation while his kiddies go to jail.

EAT THE RICH. They so richly deserve it.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:05 am

scrmbldggs wrote:
Nice link re the guiding light: Follow the Money. Interesting the headline says Attorney but the article says accountant....and as always the target is more about the local election. But it could be a mouth wash as well as a floor wax.

How hard is it to be very, very rich and not a criminal?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:10 am

Ya think Trump will ask Merkel what today's Deutsche Bank raid was all about? :-P

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:15 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:53 am
...They have no understanding that the craving for money and power are not the central drives for most people....
I keep wondering about that. The latest issue of Skeptic (which I picked up yesterday) said this in one of its articles:
...The pursuit of moral truth is, for Shermer, fundamentally tired to "[the] debunking of incorrect theories of causality (e.g. witche)." He insists that, since most all psychologocally healthy people "prefer to be free rather than enslaved, rich rather than poor, healthy rather than sick, safe rather than endangered, happy rather than sad," the job for social scientists is to uncover relevant facts about government, community, health, law, education, and family so as to build insitutions most amenable to freedom, wealth, safety, and happiness....
I find it problematic that these ideas are expressed in a way that makes them seem all-or-nothing. I prefer to be slightly more "enslaved" than "free"; slightly more "poor" than "rich"; much more "healthy" than "sick"; slightly more "safe" than "endangered"; and generally more "happy" than "sad". But these things are on a spectrum -- I don't want to be 100% of any of them (except "healthy", that sounds nice).

But I'm not the spokesman for the entire human race, and I expect others will feel differently about all of these things (because although I find it hard to believe anyone wants to be less than 100% healthy, I admit it must be at least possible and that I just haven't thought about it enough to realise why someone might feel that way). Is everyone who disagrees with this list "psychologically unhealthy"?

What is central to my life? Finding food, finding shelter, and helping others achieve these things themselves or else providing these things to those closest to me.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:18 am

It's been said that there a two kinds of happy people. Those who have much, and those who don't need much. :-P

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:24 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

Dafuq is this?

https://www.chicagotribune.com/news/loc ... story.html
...By 1:30 p.m., federal agents had left Burke’s ward office with boxes, at least three monitors and what appeared to be a computer....
Three monitors and one computer? Has technology changed so much that I can no longer be certain that monitors don't store information on them? In my day, you'd want the computers but the monitors wouldn't contain any evidence (unless there were post-it notes stuck to them).

...maybe some of the cops just needed monitors....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Fri Nov 30, 2018 2:34 am

Fingerprints...

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 am

Stop touching them, they're not touchscreens!
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:10 am

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:18 am

Gord wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:37 am
Stop touching them, they're not touchscreens!
Gesundheit.... ew

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:40 pm

It's been said Trump's informant Whitaker has not (yet?) taken over and is not (yet?) in charge of the Mueller investigation. Because of ethics (and obvious other) concerns? Or has he been told big stuff is coming down the pike and any untoward move on his part would put him in a very uncomfortable legal bind?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:42 pm

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm

Why ask for asylum? Cause he might get the Comey treatment - being fired while away from his desk via Twitter? :-P

But he won't meet. He's afraid he'll hear that all those loans he didn't get from Russia/backed by Russia will not be waived (as had been promised).

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:03 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:56 pm
Why ask for asylum? Cause he might get the Comey treatment - being fired while away from his desk via Twitter? :-P

But he won't meet. He's afraid he'll hear that all those loans he didn't get from Russia will not be waived (as he had been promised).
He does have his dilemmas, doesn't he.

No, I don't think he'll flee. He'll go down shouting "witch hunt" and "fake news" and, maybe, "what about crooked Hillary"

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:27 pm

I dunno... maybe.

The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:55 pm

Maybe if you dug up The King now there'd be a comparison but yeah, no, that fat stack of {!#%@} looks nothing like Elvis.
trump is Putin's bitch