It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu May 24, 2018 3:06 pm

That is about the lamest excuse to abandoning peace talks of all times.
I am certain that even Evangelicals make fun of Pence.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:19 pm

In honor of the momentous peace talks and in memory of the Bowling Green Massacre:
https://mobile.twitter.com/wildonnelly/ ... 9989234688
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:20 pm

For our twitterless friends:

Groening:

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 24, 2018 3:23 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Thanks for providing the additional link, Jeffk. :-D

Even tho Haley approved of the example of exercise of free speech, so far it's not widely reported. But no surprise sputnik would jump on the incident...

I went hunting for it. It shows up there and on some other off the beaten path websites.

I am surprised it’s not out on CNN and Fox. I thought Fox would show it as proof of the insidious activities of the Antifa.

Groening:

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 5:16 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:The Dealer at work:
Mother Jones wrote:So that leaves zero ambitious deals that Trump has negotiated. It’s not for lack of trying, either. He tried to repeal Obamacare. He tried to negotate on DACA. He tried to declare a trade war on China. He tried to bully Mexico and Canada into ripping up NAFTA and starting over. He tried to persuade Russia to deal with him on Syria. He failed in every case because he had no idea what he was doing; what the other side wanted; or how to get there. He just wanted to make a loud threat and then declare victory, and the result has been nothing but a trail of wreckage in his wake. No one in America of either party trusts him any longer, and neither does any country in the world—with the peculiar quasi-exceptions of Israel and Saudi Arabia.
Yes and only because he gave Israel what it wanted for so long and Saudi Arabia for the ripping up of the Iran Deal.
And hard on the heels of it comes the news that Israel is now getting ready to add several thousand more settlers to the West Bank.

And now the latest lesson we get in the Art of the Deal.

Sorry as I am that the NK situation will continue to fester, I can't help feeling slightly compensated for that loss when I think, "Well, there goes the old (ig)Nobel Prize!"
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 5:20 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:For our twitterless friends:
Well, you learn something every day. Who knew that North Korea owned the Texaco Oil Company?
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 5:27 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Apparently Kim said something mean:
https://www.cnn.com/politics/live-news/ ... index.html
Yeah, when I read the word "hostility" in the headline, I assumed they meant Trump. But no, it's Trump's word, and he meant Kim.

As long as I'm posting, I'm still trying to see how "Spygate" can possibly fly? Limpjaw tells his listeners it's a FACT that Obama had a spy from the FBI in the Trump campaign. Can El Rashbone explain why an organization dedicated to sabotaging Trump's campaign would, at the last minute, decide to sabotage Hillary Clinton's campaign and even violate the Hatch Act to do so? No? I thought not.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu May 24, 2018 5:28 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
And hard on the heels of it comes the news that Israel is now getting ready to add several thousand more settlers to the West Bank.
I saw that.

This is a real struggle for me. On the one hand my line of study for the last few years makes me sympathetic to Jews and what they've gone through, on the other hand I can't condone or support their actions. I support a two-state solution. I also understand that much of the plight of the Palestinians is self-inflicted, frankly if the Arabs had let the formation of Israel happen without war it's likely we'd have two states now.

I know this is complicated. I also know that Thud didn't make this easier and Israel is compounding the problem with these settlements. More people will die.

I also fear what might happen in Israel itself. One of the great ironies in history may be the formation of a fascist state in the Jewish homeland.

So much for what I am often called, a shabbos goy, a shill for the Jews.

Groening:

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 5:29 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:That is about the lamest excuse to abandoning peace talks of all times.
Nobody must contradict or disrespect Trump and his entourage. That's beyond the pale. But treat him with respect, and he'll give you the whole ranch, livestock included.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 5:35 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
I saw that.

This is a real struggle for me. On the one hand my line of study for the last few years makes me sympathetic to Jews and what they've gone through, on the other hand I can't condone or support their actions. I support a two-state solution. I also understand that much of the plight of the Palestinians is self-inflicted, frankly if the Arabs had let the formation of Israel happen without war it's likely we'd have two states now.

I know this is complicated. I also know that Thud didn't make this easier and Israel is compounding the problem with these settlements. More people will die.

I also fear what might happen in Israel itself. One of the great ironies in history may be the formation of a fascist state in the Jewish homeland.

So much for what I am often called, a shabbos goy, a shill for the Jews.
We're in the same situation. As a Gentile, I try to be very careful to phrase any criticism of Israel carefully, especially taking account of the implacable hatred against the Israelis exhibited by many of their Arab neighbors. But Netenyahu isn't Israel, and there are plenty of Israelis and American and European Jews who see him exactly as I do: a corrupt, authoritarian would-be dictator.

A fascist Israel is, sadly, NOT unimaginable at this point. But the Muslims in the neighborhood can bore within Israel and undermine the state. Israel is going to have to behave like a country in a bunker, under siege, for the foreseeable future. What kind of life is that for anyone? The ultimate irony would be for policies intended to keep Israel safe leading to Israel's destruction. I hope I don't have to see that.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Thu May 24, 2018 6:37 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
ElectricMonk wrote:That is about the lamest excuse to abandoning peace talks of all times.
Nobody must contradict or disrespect Trump and his entourage. That's beyond the pale. But treat him with respect, and he'll give you the whole ranch, livestock included.
Xi Kingpin doesn't want reunification and now Dumpy writes, "Waahhh you hurt me! The deal is off!" It all seems rather fishy...
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 24, 2018 8:34 pm

A fascist Israel is, sadly, NOT unimaginable at this point.
You don't have to go fascist to solve Israel's issue. Formal Apartheid works as well as what might be less unacceptable: a Religious Based Nation State aka: only Jews get to vote. Meaningless quibbles at the edges.

I mean: what else "IS" reality?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu May 24, 2018 9:04 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Well, you learn something every day. Who knew that North Korea owned the Texaco Oil Company?
The Texaco flag looks like the North Korean flag with a big T-for-Trump on it. I wonder who should sue whom?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu May 24, 2018 9:10 pm

I`m just happy that Trump wasn`t planning to meet with me - it would have been a complete waste of my time from the get-go. Just think, I might have needed to moderate my words of contempt way back there. Especially for his lackey Pence... or is Trump his lackey?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 pm

TJrandom wrote:I`m just happy that Trump wasn`t planning to meet with me - it would have been a complete waste of my time from the get-go. Just think, I might have needed to moderate my words of contempt way back there. Especially for his lackey Pence... or is Trump his lackey?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

When I saw the words "tremendous anger and hostility," I immediately assumed the story was about some Trump tweet. How wrong a person can be! And how the pot DOES call the kettle black!

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 9:53 pm

Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
The Texaco flag looks like the North Korean flag with a big T-for-Trump on it. I wonder who should sue whom?
I was WONDERING about that "T". Thanks for explaining it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu May 24, 2018 9:56 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Xi Kingpin doesn't want reunification and now Dumpy writes, "Waahhh you hurt me! The deal is off!" It all seems rather fishy...
My guess: Trump still thinks he wrote "The Art of the Deal" and this is his way of closing a deal. Walk away and make them come begging after you. (Inside info to Donald Trump: That isn't going to work in this case.) Up to now, TRUMPets could broadcast that Trump had finally cowed the North Koreans into real negotiations. Now it is clear that he didn't. What wonderful timing: He blows up the summit on the very day the North Koreans show the world how they have abandoned a nuclear test site. Talk about your propaganda victories! Trump is single-handedly making the North Koreans look like rational people.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 pm

I just must rush over to the White House Gift Shop to scarf up on those medals - before they sell out become irrelevant... oh, wait... :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 24, 2018 10:51 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote: My guess: Trump still thinks he wrote "The Art of the Deal" and this is his way of closing a deal. Walk away and make them come begging after you. (Inside info to Donald Trump: That isn't going to work in this case.)
Best characterization I have heard: "Trump should realize the Art of the Deal is much easier than the "Art of Diplomacy."
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri May 25, 2018 12:35 am

Dumpy doesn't make deals, he just breaks things. And then gloms on to whoever has to accommodate him in their effort to salvage what can be salvaged. Besides living off that the yuge "For Sale" sign spray tanned on his forehead.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:05 am

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:40 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Thanks for providing the additional link, Jeffk. :-D

Even tho Haley approved of the example of exercise of free speech, so far it's not widely reported. But no surprise sputnik would jump on the incident...

I went hunting for it. It shows up there and on some other off the beaten path websites.

I am surprised it’s not out on CNN and Fox. I thought Fox would show it as proof of the insidious activities of the Antifa.
More extensive video in this:

Groening:

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Fri May 25, 2018 2:36 am

I posted this on a pro-Trump fb group. Trump got almost entirely positive reviews for ending the summit. They said it's a negotiation strategy.
Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri May 25, 2018 6:08 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Gord wrote:
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
I was WONDERING about that "T". Thanks for explaining it. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I read a lot of Darrin Bell political cartoons: https://www.gocomics.com/darrin-bell/20 ... ti=2227990

He uses the T like a Nasty swastika. It's a little bent, too: https://www.gocomics.com/darrin-bell/20 ... ti=2227990

Or maybe "crooked" rather than "bent": https://www.gocomics.com/darrin-bell/20 ... ti=2227990
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri May 25, 2018 6:14 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote::( Wow, this hits close to home....

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/05/24/us/okl ... index.html
WTF??? Guy walks in, shoot two people (not killing either one of them), then runs away? That's bizarrro. Makes me wonder if he knew the victims, or if they were just randomly selected. Maybe he's another of those weirdos who blames all women because none of them will sleep with him? What're they called again? "Incels?"

Pity someone else with a gun killed him before the authorities could track him down and arrest him.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 am

This one's a little weird, but I still enjoyed it.

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 25, 2018 10:00 am

Monster wrote:I posted this on a pro-Trump fb group. Trump got almost entirely positive reviews for ending the summit. They said it's a negotiation strategy.
Trump cancels Kim summit amid North Korea 'hostility'
I think they are right. This is Trump's idea of strategy. It's not going to work this time.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Trump and Stalin: a comparison

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 25, 2018 10:20 am

I've just finished reading Stephen Kotkin's Stalin. Volume II: Waiting for Hitler, 1929--1941. It's 910 pages of text and over a hundred pages of detailed notes and references. It works out to five days per page for the period covered. So, I got a good sense of Stalin as a person (I think), which I never had before.

In the main, of course, there is hardly anyone who can match Stalin for sheer inhuman cruelty, and Trump, bad as he is, is not THAT bad.

That being said, Stalin was, in normal conversation, a very charming man who listened well and never praised himself; indeed, he protested when he was praised publicly. (True, that may have been part of the persona he was trying to project, but it's a stark contrast with Trump.) He also had an extremely keen logistical mind; he read a lot, and was interested in the humanities and the arts. He was even something of a romantic, having written fairly good poetry in Georgian as a youth. All that makes me think I'd rather spend an evening with him (provided I could be sure he wouldn't have me shot), than with Trump, who has all the wide-ranging intellect of a paramecium and a comparable egocentricity.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Re: Trump and Stalin: a comparison

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 1:52 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:I've just finished reading Stephen Kotkin's Stalin. Volume II: Waiting for Hitler, 1929--1941. It's 910 pages of text and over a hundred pages of detailed notes and references. It works out to five days per page for the period covered. So, I got a good sense of Stalin as a person (I think), which I never had before.

In the main, of course, there is hardly anyone who can match Stalin for sheer inhuman cruelty, and Trump, bad as he is, is not THAT bad.

That being said, Stalin was, in normal conversation, a very charming man who listened well and never praised himself; indeed, he protested when he was praised publicly. (True, that may have been part of the persona he was trying to project, but it's a stark contrast with Trump.) He also had an extremely keen logistical mind; he read a lot, and was interested in the humanities and the arts. He was even something of a romantic, having written fairly good poetry in Georgian as a youth. All that makes me think I'd rather spend an evening with him (provided I could be sure he wouldn't have me shot), than with Trump, who has all the wide-ranging intellect of a paramecium and a comparable egocentricity.
Thanks for the review. My library has a digital copy I’ve been thinking about checking out but I am way behind on my reading as it is. As a break I started “Utopia in Power, the History of the Soviet Union from 1917 to the Present.”

It’s a bit older, I picked it up from Half-Priced Books not realizing it originally came out in Russian in 1982 with a translated copy appearing in 1986. Naturally it doesn’t cover the end of the USSR but Archie Brown’s “The Rise and Fall of Communism” filled in those gaps.

If you have some time I suggest Orlando Figes’ “A People’s Tragedy,” a very good book on the history of the Russian Revolution. I read that last Summer.

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:01 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote::( Wow, this hits close to home....

A good man with a gun:

The NRA is crowing about the fact that a private citizen shot the man. What they aren’t saying is that this happened while the gunman was fleeing the scene. The citizen killed the man outside.
I don’t know if this person intended to go somewhere else and continue his spree and this person gets no sympathy from me. Luckily no one was killed.

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:05 pm

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 2:20 pm

Look, it’s the new (uncovered) face of the Republican Party!!!!!
https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/25/politics ... index.html

Werd would love this guy.

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:34 pm

The moral of this story:
Don’t be black and forget your belt. Otherwise someone will call the cops on you.
http://www.kake.com/story/38273396/wich ... en-theatre

Groening:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri May 25, 2018 6:36 pm

Did this guy see a boon in business since Trump took office for lending his name to a certain affair that ended in an abortion? He's been making big bucks from a variety of clients that benefited bigly from that administration.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 pm

Had enough of winning? Relax, if this story is right, it's soon going to stop. I'm guessing sooner rather than later, as prices begin to rise and along with them interest rates.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri May 25, 2018 7:30 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Had enough of winning? Relax, if this story is right, it's soon going to stop. I'm guessing sooner rather than later, as prices begin to rise and along with them interest rates.

It’s very strange this odd reversal of logic, cutting taxes in times of growth to....stimulate more growth????

This inevitably leads to crashes. Better tighter taxes now during a boom to cut debt than waiting for a crash that you need to increase debt.

Groening:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri May 25, 2018 7:55 pm

More Art of the Fail

The Democrats are now alluding to the the concept that having an Informant placed in an opposing party’s campaign is different than having a Spy, as illegal as that may be.

I know he's only trying to enrage his troops, but claims like that make him look not only the color, but also dense as a brick. Can he produce a (valid) list of all the members of his campaign that includes the informant in question?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 25, 2018 8:28 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:More Art of the Fail

The Democrats are now alluding to the the concept that having an Informant placed in an opposing party’s campaign is different than having a Spy, as illegal as that may be.

I know he's only trying to enrage his troops, but claims like that make him look not only the color, but also dense as a brick. Can he produce a (valid) list of all the members of his campaign that includes the informant in question?
I thought the valid distinction, that doesn't apply here, is the GUBMENT placing a spy/informant in any political camp (during a campagin) vs opposition parties doing it?

The Gubment following foreign operatives WHERE EVER they may go (politics, religion, medical, ==WHATEVER) is totally appropriate......as was the "infiltration" of the Trump campaign being complained of here. The error is not what happened to Trump=============> but rather that the same was not done with Hillary. Looking more and more like real scum with each passing day.

The bottom of the barrel: two of the most disliked candidates in History being chosen by the two major Parties. Time for change???????

...........................................Yea, Verily.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Fri May 25, 2018 9:07 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:Had enough of winning? Relax, if this story is right, it's soon going to stop. I'm guessing sooner rather than later, as prices begin to rise and along with them interest rates.
The level of private debt doesn't matter much, it is rate of acceleration of private debt which matters to the economy. The relationship between debt acceleration and economic performance is better than .9.

The level of public debt is pretty much irrelevant to the economy. It may affect the fiscal performance of government if it gets so high that debt servicing interferes with the normal operations of government, but it's effect on the economy is next to nil.

The foundation of capitalism is private debt, not public debt.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri May 25, 2018 9:33 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote: The level of private debt doesn't matter much, it is rate of acceleration of private debt which matters to the economy. The relationship between debt acceleration and economic performance is better than .9.
Can that be right? Seems to me....private debt can quickly rise to unsustainable levels and then stop dead cold. THEN you have zero acceleration and unsupportable private debt levels. Sounds like a overemphasis on process rather than effect?

OlegTheBatty wrote: The level of public debt is pretty much irrelevant to the economy. It may affect the fiscal performance of government if it gets so high that debt servicing interferes with the normal operations of government, but it's effect on the economy is next to nil.
I agree. Lot's of nonsense about "the economy" and WORSE: the stock market. All mostly diversionary BS.
OlegTheBatty wrote: The foundation of capitalism is private debt, not public debt.
No...its always a combo plate.