It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

OutOfBreath wrote:But, why the {!#%@} does he care!
This says it all. It is trivial (for one thing, what correlation does inauguration crowd size have to successful presidencies or stature?) - but the incident shows 1) his ego and thin skin, 2) his willingness to tell bald-faced lies about absolutely everything to enhance his narrative of his own greatness.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:49 pm

Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:
https://deadspin.com/there-are-just-two ... 1613879544

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:50 pm

LOL

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:27 pm

:lol: That looks like a fishy "alternative facts" feeding frenzy.
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:28 pm

My internet says if I buy this Piece of History that you'all will be jealous. Somehow, that just doesn't motivate me. Who designed this?===>not enough GOLD.

Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:32 pm

Yup, still grubbing for money.

I get 2-3 e-mails a day from Trump or Pence peddling their crap.
Also, Donald Trump is a clownfraud who only got involved in this for the attention.

Deadspin, 2014:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:36 pm

People still care about his taxes (and are drawing out the shills). Maybe he's planning another grab and run?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:40 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:My internet says if I buy this Piece of History that you'all will be jealous. Somehow, that just doesn't motivate me. Who designed this?===>not enough GOLD.

Already battling this, I see...
U.S. Mint Unveils Coin Featuring Lady Liberty as an African American
U.S. Mint / AP

Lady Liberty will be portrayed as an African American for the first time in U.S. history...expected to be released in April...is the first in a series of coins that will feature depictions of Lady Liberty representing Asian Americans, Hispanic Americans, Indian Americans, and others who “reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the United States.”
https://www.theatlantic.com/liveblogs/2 ... ay/513068/ (gotta scroll about halfway down)

More from the article:
In April, the Treasury Department announced that Harriet Tubman, the African American woman and iconic Underground Railroad conductor who helped hundreds of slaves escape to freedom, will replace Andrew Jackson, the U.S.’ seventh president and a slave owner, as the face of the $20 bill.
and which apparently got under the thin skin of someone... who's most likely not interested in taking that gold...

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:53 pm

Its all symbollic, but I don't think Lady Liberty/aka Statue of Liberty is most appropriately represented by a black woman...and I think I saw a rendering of that black woman bending over as if pulling wheat up by the roots?

Black "anything" (In America) is a symbol of oppression. Hmmm....and yet I recognize the struggle of Tubman and many others to achieve freedom, such as it is, and they do deserve recognition for same. Just not the right context......but the Twenty is Fine....as Jackson represents the very oppression I'm talking about. Maybe the same black woman figure with her boot on Jacksons neck?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:01 pm

Couldn't similar be said about most or all of the proposed changes over time?

But if Trump insists and manages to be depicted on any real US currency, I hope it's the little red coin. Right before it's discontinued because it has become disliked redundant these days...
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:03 pm

thanks to Oozy_Substance we actually had Holocaust discussion today LOL

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:05 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Couldn't similar be said about most or all of the proposed changes over time?
It could be said, but then as now, I wouldn't know what it meant.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:08 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Couldn't similar be said about most or all of the proposed changes over time?

But if Trump insists and manages to be depicted on any real US currency, I hope it's the little red coin. Right before it's discontinued because it has become disliked redundant these days...
You think that's more likely than on a 5 kopeck piece?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 pm

Sean Sphincter: “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election. Why didn’t these people vote?” They did, Sean. In popular vote you guy came up 3m votes short, remember?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:10 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:You think that's more likely than on a 5 kopeck piece?
LOL

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:11 pm

^ I had to look that up and Google told me it's not something naughty. But yeah, that would be an extremely easy way to buy his complete loyalty (or so he would say...). :(

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:12 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:thanks to Oozy_Substance we actually had Holocaust discussion today LOL
Yeah, it somehow seeped into the conversation. Weird... :-P

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:13 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Sean Sphincter: “Watched protests yesterday but was under the impression that we just had an election. Why didn’t these people vote?” They did, Sean. In popular vote you guy came up 3m votes short, remember?
Right now, there seems to be about 20,000,000 American voters who think their time would have been better spent going to dog fights.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:14 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:thanks to Oozy_Substance we actually had Holocaust discussion today LOL
Yes, I enjoyed it. I'm hoping to do more on it once I finish Mazowar.

Even Monstrous made an appearance today!!

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:22 pm

Trump had a point yesterday at the CIA meeting:
“I can only say that I am with you 1,000 percent. And the reason you’re my first stop —is that as you know I have a running war with the media. They are among the most dishonest human beings on earth. Right? And they sort of made it sound like I have this feud with the intelligence community.
Trump 11 January 2017, on the CIA and other US intelligence agencies:
Are we living in Nazi Germany?
The media should be well aware that Trump meant this as a compliment, he's behind living in Nazi Germany 1,000 percent and says, "Hell, yeah, we're gonna be living in Nazi Germany!", and Nazi Germany is always his first stop. No feud - Nazi Germany, that's cool! How can the lying, dishonest media be so low?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:54 pm

Leaving aside the inanity of arguing crowd size for Trump’s swearing in vs really big crowds in DC - and just sayin’ that Trump’s crowd was big in the same sense that his hands are big (hint: tiny) - we now have Kellyanne Conway weighing in on this most important topic before the nation . . . with newspeak of her own - and it is the newspeak that to me is the issue.

Little drummer girl Conway, replying to Chuck Todd on the brouhaha: “Don't be so overly dramatic about it, Chuck. You're saying it's a falsehood, and they're giving Sean Spicer, our press secretary, gave alternative facts to that.

Alternative facts pulled out of Spicer's ass or even from Trump’s ass? Ok then. Is this something everyone gets to do - make up “alternative facts” in cases when they don’t like the, er, factual facts and "give alternative facts to that"?

Then, inexplicably, after Sean Sphincter’s national lecture on crowd size yesterday, and Trump’s dishonest bragging session at the CIA, Conway had the audacity to tell ABC News that it really doesn’t matter - and that turnout sucked for the God-Emperor’s inauguration: "First of all there was rain, the downpour that was reported and I think it deterred many people from coming.”

These people cannot keep their lies straight. They need to be shredded day in and day out.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:57 pm

The Way of the Con...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:59 pm

...like saying "I'm against the dismantling of the Ethics Committee" after there's an outcry at the prospect of it...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:05 pm

yeah kind of like that

Now that we're invoking the weather - omitting that the 2009 inauguration took place in frigid temperatures whilst this year's had light intermittent showers, mostly just overcast - ahem - I am reminded of a joke we had in grad school. A liberal American historian Arthur Schlesinger Jr wrote rather fawning books on his heroes, Jackson and FDR; in each the inauguration is depicted as taking place under stormy skies which cleared as the new president took his oath of office. We branded Schlesinger's school of historiography "meteorological determinism."

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:15 pm

:lol: And, oddly, this time around the good lard started flooding the area.

Which reminds me of this. I wonder when tweets will be broadcast over that system...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 22, 2017 11:50 pm

Image From HuffPo:

Kellyanne Conway said today that Trump
"wants to get rid of that Obamacare penalty almost immediately, because that is something that is really strangling a lot of Americans, to have to pay a penalty for not buying government-run health care,” she said on ABC’s “This Week.”

When host George Stephanopoulos followed up, asking specifically whether Trump intended to “stop enforcing that mandate,” Conway responded, “he may.”
This approach, if Trumpy goes ahead with it, should wreak havoc with the health insurance marketplace - it's the exact course Sen Lamar Alexander (chairman, Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions), insurance companies, and even right-wing health care analysts have warned against. The idea seems to be finally to put the ACA into the death spiral Ryan keeps saying it has been in - and then blame others. Assume Trumpy and his Attack-Cobra will blame Obama and the Democrats for the damage DJT causes.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:14 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:Image From HuffPo:

"wants to get rid of that Obamacare penalty almost immediately, because that is something that is really strangling a lot of Americans, to have to pay a penalty for not buying government-run health care,” she said on ABC’s “This Week.”...
My bold. That's a very misleading statement again, imho, since the requirement to avoid tax penalties is obtaining a minimum essential coverage* - not buying a government program. And for those under a certain income, there's no penalty at all.

* Granted, it doesn't appear to be the cheapest healthcare option to meet that standard.
Assume Trumpy and his Attack-Cobra will blame Obama and the Democrats for the damage DJT causes.
Naturally....

But has Trump thought about the religious exempt who are gonna lose that special status and become members of the unwashed masses again. Has he?! :evil:
Last edited by scrmbldggs on Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xcalibur
Frequent Poster

Post by Xcalibur » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 am

"wants to get rid of that Obamacare penalty almost immediately, because that is something that is really strangling a lot of Americans, to have to pay a penalty for not buying government-run health care,” she said on ABC’s “This Week.”

When host George Stephanopoulos followed up, asking specifically whether Trump intended to “stop enforcing that mandate,” Conway responded, “he may.”
This approach, if Trumpy goes ahead with it, should wreak havoc with the health insurance marketplace - it's the exact course Sen Lamar Alexander (chairman, Committee on Health, Education, Labor, and Pensions), insurance companies, and even right-wing health care analysts have warned against. The idea seems to be finally to put the ACA into the death spiral Ryan keeps saying it has been in - and then blame others. Assume Trumpy and his Attack-Cobra will blame Obama and the Democrats for the damage DJT causes.
They can dress it up anyway they want but their approach to Ocare has always been scorched earth.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:39 am

Something I came across earlier...

Trumpium (Tw)ÿtterbium - bombastic number 70

(Tw)ÿtterbium is a soft, malleable and rather intractable element that loves a bright shiny luster. A dainty flower, the element is easily attacked and dissolved by mean tweets, slowly reacts with water, and oxidizes in air. The oxide forms a protective orange layer on the surface. Compounds of (Tw)ÿtterbium are loud.

Applications
...One (Tw)ÿtterbium isotope has been used for a portable X-ray machine, since groping proved to be unsustainable in the public eye.

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:47 am

scrmbldggs wrote:Something I came across earlier...

Trumpium (Tw)ÿtterbium - bombastic number 70

(Tw)ÿtterbium is a soft, malleable and rather intractable element that loves a bright shiny luster. A dainty flower, the element is easily attacked and dissolved by mean tweets, slowly reacts with water, and oxidizes in air. The oxide forms a protective orange layer on the surface. Compounds of (Tw)ÿtterbium are loud.

Applications
...One (Tw)ÿtterbium isotope has been used for a portable X-ray machine, since groping proved to be unsustainable in the public eye.
:lol:

Deadspin, 2014:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:49 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

"wants to get rid of that Obamacare penalty almost immediately, because that is something that is really strangling a lot of Americans, to have to pay a penalty for not buying government-run health care,” she said on ABC’s “This Week.”...
My bold. That's a very misleading statement again, imho, since the requirement to avoid tax penalties is obtaining a minimum essential coverage* - not buying a government program. And for those under a certain income, there's no penalty at all.
Good point. What Obamacare is not is "government-run health care." That was, in fact, the whole point . . .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:03 am

And just think, all that money people are going to save on healthcare, they will have in their pockets to at least try meeting the new mortgage payments...

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:27 am

Like the orange man said, he's doing it for the families . . . every decision is for the benefit of American families . . .

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:07 am

..and tax returns...

"Reversing Campaign Pledge..."

Donald Trump Will Not Release Tax Returns, White House Adviser Says

...Conway's comments came in response to a Whitehouse.gov petition with more than 200,000 signatures calling on Trump to release his tax returns. Any petition on the site that receives 100,000 signatures in 30 days receives a response from the White House; this petition reached twice that in two days.

"...let me make this very clear: Most Americans are very focused on what their tax returns will look like while President Trump is in office, not what his look like. And you know full well that President Trump and his family are complying with all the ethical rules, everything they need to do to step away from his businesses and be a full-time president."

Both of Conway's statements are false...
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politic ... er-n710511

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:52 am

scrmbldggs wrote:..and tax returns...

"Reversing Campaign Pledge..."

Donald Trump Will Not Release Tax Returns, White House Adviser Says

...Conway's comments came in response to a Whitehouse.gov petition with more than 200,000 signatures calling on Trump to release his tax returns. Any petition on the site that receives 100,000 signatures in 30 days receives a response from the White House; this petition reached twice that in two days.

"...let me make this very clear: Most Americans are very focused on what their tax returns will look like while President Trump is in office, not what his look like. And you know full well that President Trump and his family are complying with all the ethical rules, everything they need to do to step away from his businesses and be a full-time president."

Both of Conway's statements are false...
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politic ... er-n710511
Well, apparently 200,000 want their president to follow the precedent set by Richard {!#%@} Nixon, of all people and release his tax returns.
Surely it can't be that he has something to hide???????

Deadspin, 2014:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:16 am

...nothing his milelong tie won't cover...

Jeffk 1970
True Skeptic

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:17 am

:lol:

Deadspin, 2014:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:24 am

scrmbldggs wrote:...nothing his milelong tie won't cover...
Yeah, what is WITH that thing?! When I saw it, I thought he was trying to cover up a spaghetti stain or something. Maybe it's to protect his crotch from his own groping fingers during his speeches?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 23, 2017 4:37 am

Maybe a price tag left on the suit planned to be returned when he learned his gear won't be cozying up to the First Ladies Collection at the National Museum of American History?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 23, 2017 1:50 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:Well, apparently 200,000 want their president to follow the precedent set by Richard {!#%@} Nixon, of all people and release his tax returns.
Surely it can't be that he has something to hide???????
In opinion polls the number is somewhere over 70%. But more interesting to me is that Anus-Mouth's hero Assange, well, Wikileaks, had this to say about that, "“Trump’s breach of promise over the release of his tax returns is even more gratuitous than Clinton concealing her Goldman Sachs transcripts.” And "Trump Counselor Kellyanne Conway stated today that Trump will not release his tax returns. Send them to: https://wikileaks.org/#submit so we can."

Memo to Julian: I wouldn't follow through on your promise to "self extradite" to the US on Chelsea Manning's release. Just sayin'. I don't think you and Donald are going to stay bff's.