Industrial farming cruelty

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Industrial farming cruelty

Post by TJrandom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:25 am

Do you buy this? I don`t. It seems that the main argument is that we steal the childhoods of animals we raise for food.

Industrial farming is one of the worst crimes in history

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/s ... l-question

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: Industrial farming cruelty

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:31 am

Dear Chickens, life sucks, then you die.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:36 am

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Dear Chickens, life sucks, then you die.
Plus you don`t get to play grab-ass or rough and tumble as a kiddie.... and no flirting either!

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:54 am

TJrandom wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Dear Chickens, life sucks, then you die.
Plus you don`t get to play grab-ass or rough and tumble as a kiddie.... and no flirting either!
And as for Susie Derkins, that {!#%@}'s right out. Image

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Fri Sep 25, 2015 11:08 am

It reads as though written by a member of the set of jerks who used to run around Britain releasing captive mink into the wild. I completely agree that animals should not be killed merely to decorate the wardrobes of social climbers, but those mink - extremely efficient killing machines - virtually eradicated our native water vole. The minks have since been vastly reduced in numbers by trapping - a situation brought about by the very people who profess to despise such things - and the water voles are showing signs of recovery.

There are now legal restraints covering all aspects of animal husbandry (in the UK, at least). This article belongs in the 1970s.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:52 pm

I don't have a problem with industrial farming in general, but some of the more extreme situations need to be taken care of (eg, pigs that can't turn around in their stys, chickens that can't stand up or raise their wings in their coops).
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:09 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I don't have a problem with industrial farming in general, but some of the more extreme situations need to be taken care of (eg, pigs that can't turn around in their stys, chickens that can't stand up or raise their wings in their coops).
When I was in Indiana I knew a guy who raised pigs in a "luxury" style. They were pampered in all kinds of ways. Why? Because he could sell the meat for twice the going rate. Half of his annual production went to Europe, the rest to "high end" restaurants in major cities in the US. I could tell the difference between his pork and the grocery store variety easily. Very tender and tastier than pork "should be".

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:24 pm

Poodle wrote:It reads as though written by a member of the set of jerks who used to run around Britain releasing captive mink into the wild. I completely agree that animals should not be killed merely to decorate the wardrobes of social climbers, but those mink - extremely efficient killing machines - virtually eradicated our native water vole. The minks have since been vastly reduced in numbers by trapping - a situation brought about by the very people who profess to despise such things - and the water voles are showing signs of recovery.

There are now legal restraints covering all aspects of animal husbandry (in the UK, at least). This article belongs in the 1970s.
This from the UK.... A vegan Farm Minister? The Broccoli and Strawberry growers associations must be delighted!

Treat meat eaters like smokers, warns Jeremy Corbyn's new vegan farming minister Kerry McCarthy

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/earth/a ... arthy.html

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:32 pm

Luckily, only a Shadow Minister, just as Mr. Corbin is only the Leader of the Opposition. I feel in my water that he won't be there for too long - he's already reneged on his stance on the EU, and trying to prise beef from the avid clutch of the British is a threat similar to banning beer. Social unrest and violent revolution would immediately follow.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Why not raise animals for clothing? Better than digging up fossil fuels.

I used to work on a chicken ranch. (Worst job in the place.) Sometimes I felt sorry for them as cooped up as they were, then I realized: I'm not a chicken. That ended that Disney interaction.

I agree we should not be "cruel" to our fellow creatures, and can make some homilies as to why (it dehumanize "us") but none of them really ring true. Killing and eating is cruel. More cruel than however raised............whoops.........I did it again. Animals aren't people. Even the one's with big brown eyes.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:39 pm

Austin Harper wrote:I don't have a problem with industrial farming in general, but some of the more extreme situations need to be taken care of (eg, pigs that can't turn around in their stys, chickens that can't stand up or raise their wings in their coops).
I certainly agree with better treatment of animals. Sows can`t be allowed to move when giving birth and nursing newborns, lest they roll over onto them and kill the piglets. But after a few days, all is OK.

http://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets ... -final.pdf

Layers, IMO – should be given a more natural environment that includes freedom of movement and release from the cramped cages they now occupy – but then I am not a producer and I do like buying my eggs for (approx) $0.50/for ten.

http://www.humanesociety.org/issues/con ... -cage.html

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Sep 25, 2015 8:46 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
When I was in Indiana I knew a guy who raised pigs in a "luxury" style. They were pampered in all kinds of ways. Why? Because he could sell the meat for twice the going rate. Half of his annual production went to Europe, the rest to "high end" restaurants in major cities in the US. I could tell the difference between his pork and the grocery store variety easily. Very tender and tastier than pork "should be".
That has to be the right motivation - economic, and in the best interests of farmers, customers, and the animals too.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Sep 26, 2015 1:18 am

The trademark in Europe is something like "The Happy Pig". In French, of course.