Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
User avatar
zeuzzz
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3859
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 5:33 pm
Custom Title: Unicorn Herder

Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by zeuzzz » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:26 pm

I was going through my old emails the other day with my hotmail account and noticed that from a year or so ago for a fair while there were a load of emails from sites I never used and sites I never signed up for in my inbox. They signed up to some arabic websites I noticed but mainly english, had a couple of (what looked like, my arabic is non existant) transaction receipts using my email, and also a couple of other website memberships. I changed my password recently, but why would someone do that? They seem to have used it for a good year or so intermitantly. I presumed a hacker would have gone through my 10,000 or so emails (most of which are gone now) one by one and got all my passwords and details ... but that does not seem to have happened, maybe I did not have much of use to him/her (student, no money here!). Anyone?
Always be you, unless you can be a unicorn; then be a unicorn.

User avatar
octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5047
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk
Location: West of Chester

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by octopus1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:32 am

zeuzzz wrote:I was going through my old emails the other day with my hotmail account and noticed that from a year or so ago for a fair while there were a load of emails from sites I never used and sites I never signed up for in my inbox. They signed up to some arabic websites I noticed but mainly english, had a couple of (what looked like, my arabic is non existant) transaction receipts using my email, and also a couple of other website memberships. I changed my password recently, but why would someone do that? They seem to have used it for a good year or so intermitantly. I presumed a hacker would have gone through my 10,000 or so emails (most of which are gone now) one by one and got all my passwords and details ... but that does not seem to have happened, maybe I did not have much of use to him/her (student, no money here!). Anyone?
Apparently, I'd tried to access a secure email account that I use with work. Which I knew I hadn't, because I do that as infrequently as I can get away with... :P

I've had to change all the details regarding that account. For people using a personal account (like Hotmail or Gmail) I imagine it's not so bad, because you're hardly going to be giving away crazily personal info on there.

Oh! Apart from the Gmail user who sent and received kiddy fiddling pictures. He got caught by Google! So yeah, unless you're up to no good, you're reasonably safe.
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:21 am

Perhaps it was the drugs?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5047
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk
Location: West of Chester

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by octopus1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:49 am

kennyc wrote:Perhaps it was the drugs?
Oh certainly. Blame drugs for everything ;)
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:03 am

octopus1 wrote:
kennyc wrote:Perhaps it was the drugs?
Oh certainly. Blame drugs for everything ;)
We praise you oxycontin for you are the light and the life and the way.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5047
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk
Location: West of Chester

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by octopus1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:55 am

kennyc wrote:
octopus1 wrote:
kennyc wrote:Perhaps it was the drugs?
Oh certainly. Blame drugs for everything ;)
We praise you oxycontin for you are the light and the life and the way.
Oh I was thinking the occsaional 'spliff', but OK.... oxycontin it is.... :P

Jesus you'd be away and gone on something like that! :shock: Or do you 'acclimitize' yourself to it over time? I think I'll personally stay hands off... :lol:
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 11:59 am

I'm just channeling the zzzzz man....
:lol:
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28062
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:57 pm

Anagram of email and drugs: Viagra
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:12 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:Anagram of email and drugs: Viagra
Are you smokin' somethin' or what?
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28062
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:31 pm

kennyc wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Anagram of email and drugs: Viagra
Are you smokin' somethin' or what?
Nah, just something. :-P
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
kennyc
Has No Life
Posts: 12436
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 11:21 am
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon
Location: Denver, CO

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by kennyc » Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:54 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
kennyc wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:Anagram of email and drugs: Viagra
Are you smokin' somethin' or what?
Nah, just something. :-P

Ah, smoked mackerel. ... I see said the blind chihuahua.
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

User avatar
octopus1
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5047
Joined: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:11 pm
Custom Title: Deep Sea Mollusk
Location: West of Chester

Re: Noticed email was hacked, eh?

Post by octopus1 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:04 pm

I smelled the mushrooms long before they walked into the gypsy cart. Heidecker, cried the harbingers! Casual Doo-Wop mariner?

(Wow that's harder to do sober... :lol:)
"On the fence".... Without a cushion....