Who Has Absolutely No Television?

Feel free to talk about anything and everything in this board.
Josie
Custom Title: Diva

Who Has Absolutely No Television?

Post by Josie » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:04 am

I haven't had a TV for about 25 years--none in college and then after I graduated. I also lived in a small cabin with no indoor plumbing for 10 years... call me kooky! I wasn't a hermit! In fact I entertained quite a bit and really liked it. Very simple.

I don't miss TV and now I hear more and more people not owning any. At work, in the break room they will have one on, usually it's tuned to the news which is so dreadful. I'm a happy person! And then the reality shows?? Are they still around or are they diminishing? I've seen some on YouTube just to see and I'm like, WTF? So I guess if your a TV writer business is not good. What has the world come to?

Well, today with the internet I guess a person can waste their brain cells online..... yet, still to me it's different. I like the social aspect of the internet, reading, researching, learning new skills, finding new workouts (I love fitness stuff) and the business opportunities people can discover.

If I'm missing out, do let me know what show you would not live without! 8-)
I like green eggs and ham...and BBQ'ed kittens.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Re: Who Has Absolutely No Television?

Post by kennyc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:24 am

I have a tv but only watch evening news ....local and BBC.....and science and history programs on occasion....

My real time waster is the interwebz and forums like this :P
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:52 am

Josie wrote:...do let me know what show you would not live without! 8-)
The Brady Buns. :oldman:

But seriously, I no longer watch TV and get only the occasional quick fix more or less accidentally on the webz. :-D
Lard, save me from your followers.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:58 am

scrmbldggs wrote:

But seriously, I no longer watch TV and get only the occasional quick fix more or less accidentally on the webz. :-D

Ooooooh don't give me that..... :roll:
Kenny A. Chaffin

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:04 am

kennyc wrote:
scrmbldggs wrote:

Ooooooh don't give me that..... :roll:
When life gives you melons...
Lard, save me from your followers.

kennyc
Has No Life

Post by kennyc » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:06 am

Kenny A. Chaffin

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:34 am

Josie wrote:If I'm missing out, do let me know what show you would not live without! 8-)
"Real time"
*BBC World News Service.
*Special Broadcasting Service News ( Australia)

"Recorded"
*Artistic TV series "Breaking Bad", "Sopranos" "Rome" "I Claudius" etc etc.
*Movies from the start up to modern times.
*Mindless Entertainment "Get Smart" "Law & Order" "Futurama"
*Random things that you never would choose to watch but end up watching because you never knew about it.

My parents had the attitude in the late 60's and 70's that we, as children, did in fact learn from television. However that was when the Brady Bunch had simple clear moral stories. I'm not too sure if TV has the same general quality today. That would be a complex claim to detail.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:43 am

Watch "The Walking Dead" and Dallas Cowboys football. The rest is {!#%@}.
trump is Putin's bitch

Josie
Custom Title: Diva

Post by Josie » Mon Aug 04, 2014 2:37 am

I love I dream of Jeannie!

I was out and about...for a few days, not watching TV and not on the net.

Well, off I go lads back to work. I fly up to work, in a remote area of Alaska so not much time to get on the net... I work 2 weeks on then 2 off. What a life, huh? Yes, I got it good!!

I'm thinking there are lots of cool people here. Intelligent, witty, and considerate.

BTW, any Derren Brown "fans" out there? I think he's very entertaining and fun to watch--I just discovered him. I'm not so sure he really doesn't have "stooges" in his audience but fun to think he can play such mind tricks on people. ;)

OK, safe and bliss day to all!
I like green eggs and ham...and BBQ'ed kittens.

Rob Lister
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Spline Reticulator

Post by Rob Lister » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:44 pm

I watch quite a bit of TV but I've practically forgotten what a commercial looks like. Netflix, HBO Go, and rentals make up the vast, vast majority of my viewing. The only reason I keep cable is because of the Food Network and HGTV. I can do without it but the wife cannot. I used to be in charge.
Skeptic much? Sure you do.
http://www.skepticalcommunity.com/forum ... ive_topics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Monster » Tue Aug 05, 2014 1:06 pm

I haven't had a tv for 14 years. However, ultimately, that doesn't matter, since I spend an outrageous amount of time on the internet, and I have netflix videos running in a window while I'm doing something else. So, effectively, I still watch tv.
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:08 pm

I'm the same way, Monster. I own a TV, but I just use it as the monitor for my PC, which I primarily use to watch movies and Netflix.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Post by SweetPea » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:17 pm

xbmc for pc gives you almost all theater movies and TV series, and many documentaries. On demand. Free. Did I say FREE?
All free. On demand. 720p. And xbmc itself is a free download.

I've watched complete TV series "Deadwood", "Rome", "Game of Thrones", "Breaking Bad", and lots of movies.

I've been TV-free for years.

Most of the live TV shows are poorer quality on xbmc - but anyway, who needs the commercials when you can see the whole series commercial-free?

xbmc has lots of changes all the time, so this video might be a bit dated, so check out other youtube vids as they come out.

[ytube][/ytube]
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:41 pm

There are only two things I watch: TV and youtube.

When I go out of town, I don't watch TV. When I'm in town, I do.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

basti

Post by basti » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:22 am

It's not such a bad thing owning a tv nowadays... especially with things like True Detective, Sopranos, The Wire, Rome... we're living in a golden age of television in which tv shows are almost art ;). But on the other hand, all that reality c*** annoys the hell out of me.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:50 pm

Haven't voluntarily watched TV for two years. Since the Prime Minister.

I've got one. The kids like to watch cartoons.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

digress
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: doomer

Post by digress » Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:44 pm

I've had access to a TV my entire upbringing, but the only scheduled TV shows I remembered watching were Seinfeld and House Remakers. I was a serious channel flipper and I had little value for TV. I thought of it as being no big deal.

Then about 10 years ago I had a bad break up and moved in with a family member for 6 months as I looked for a new place to live. They had no cable. For the first time I was experiencing an eerily loud inner craving to watch the TV. I actually discovered new things about myself I had not previously been aware of. I always had easy access to a TV and for the first time the option was not there for days on end.

After the first 2 months of staring at the wall I began to read more. Prior to this I did not have much desire to read other than the bible or on occasion about the civil rights movement in America.

I eventually found a new place to live, but I never renewed my cable service. 1 year later I gave my TV to my brother. I've since never looked back despite the release and new temptations that came with HD technology. The glamorous sales pitch of a flat screen HD TV right in your home only served to amuse.

It's been years now. I use netflix sometimes, but I hate most documentaries and so netflix is only useful maybe 2 months total out of the year. Sometimes I feel as though I live in a different universe as I work in a technology field and surround myself with people who tell me they've TV's in every room in their house. Some dream about setting up a TV in their bathroom. My boss once told me he had 6 TV's and 2 Ipads as backup. I've a close friend who has a 55inch in his living room and uses it maybe twice a year because he has a "game room" with 3 TV's all lined up next to one another that he instead uses. One for his xbox, the other for sports, the other for movies- all at the same time.

I recommend anybody who has a TV(s) to donate them to friends or family. I believe your life will be much more enriched if you do this because it will force you to find new incentives to fill-up your time you previously may not have considered. It's definitely a curious thing to experience. I learned turning your TV off is simply not enough.
  God is an idea.  
"For now, I am going to err on the side of freedom of speech..." -Pyrrho
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg
"I am not a concept..." -Confidencia

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:11 pm

Why the extremism, and why blame the TV for whatever failings and lacks come from having one in your house?
The TV after all, and without your help, is more or less an inanimate object.

Whatever happened to just turning it off?
One thing that will never happen (unless you program it to do so) is that the TV will turn itself on (not yet, at least).
While I am not, strictly speaking a creature of the TV age, being more formed by and more addicted to movies… still I do have TV in my house, in fact more than one.
AND about 900 channels of cable…..
Howevrer, while it is going out on a limb here….. I don't really know you… I am going to venture the guess that I read more books, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, and journals… than you do.
And list to more music and attend more life performances that most people and feel very privileged to be able to do so.
So please forgive the overuse of *I*, but:

I also read a number of foreign and domestic newspaper on-line, and participate as you do, in this Forum.
I play chess with two fellow devotees far, far on the other side of the world, which means on odd hours…
And I go to the movies, play serious poker, and socialize, probable more than is necessary to sustain life…
AND I manage to have long and serious conversations and to laugh a bit with family and friends…. and sometimes even foes.
And I find that the computer is far more of an imposition on time and energy than TV ever was.
I don't talk back to my TV sets, nor do I feel the urge to sit down and write a vituperative letter to a voice that comes over the airwaves….
The computer… well, just look around you: continue reading.
And there is this: in the way of the world ("the old order changeth, yielding place to new….) TV writing and production has grown exponentially in the last few years, and now TV produces more good, even excellent examples of a genuine art form, than our other media…
Is some of it shlock?
Of course.
But what isn't?
(You just spent 3 minutes reading this…)
SO… were I called upon to give you advice (which I clearly have not been) I would say, chuck your computer and buy a TV…. you have enough self-control, I'm certain, to own it rather than to let it own you.

NMB
P.S. And BTW as long as you can access Netflix for viewing on your computer, you really can't claim to being entirely free of TV.
For what are movies watched on even a large computer screen, other than bastardized film reduced to TV?
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

digress
Frequent Poster

Post by digress » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:36 pm

nmblum wrote:Why the extremism, and why blame the TV for whatever failings and lacks come from having one in your house?

One thing that will never happen (unless you program it to do so) is that the TV will turn itself on (not yet, at least).
While I am not, strictly speaking a creature of the TV age, being more formed by and more addicted to movies… still I do have TV in my house, in fact more than one.
Howevrer, while it is going out on a limb here….. I don't really know you… I am going to venture the guess that I read more books, newspapers, magazines, newsletters, and journals… than you do.
And list to more music and attend more life performances that most people and feel very privileged to be able to do so.

I also read a number of foreign and domestic newspaper on-line, and participate as you do, in this Forum.
I play chess with two fellow devotees far, far on the other side of the world, which means on odd hours…
And I go to the movies, play serious poker, and socialize, probable more than is necessary to sustain life…
AND I manage to have long and serious conversations and to laugh a bit with family and friends…. and sometimes even foes.
And I find that the computer is far more of an imposition on time and energy than TV ever was.
I don't talk back to my TV sets, nor do I feel the urge to sit down and write a vituperative letter to a voice that comes over the airwaves….
And there is this: in the way of the world ("the old order changeth, yielding place to new….) TV writing and production has grown exponentially in the last few years, and now TV produces more good, even excellent examples of a genuine art form, than our other media…
Is some of it shlock?
Of course.
But what isn't?
SO… were I called upon to give you advice (which I clearly have not been) I would say, chuck your computer and buy a TV…. you have enough self-control, I'm certain, to own it rather than to let it own you.

NMB
P.S. And BTW as long as you can access Netflix for viewing on your computer, you really can't claim to being entirely free of TV.
For what are movies watched on even a large computer screen, other than bastardized film reduced to TV?
NMB
How exactly are you typing all this? Are you using a type-writer?
  God is an idea.  
"Every instance that has always existed is a piece of evidence that God is not needed." -yrreg

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 pm

digress wrote:
nmblum wrote:Why the extremism, and why blame the TV for whatever failings and lacks come from having one in your house?

Is some of it shlock?
Of course.
But what isn't?

NMB
NMB
No, at this particular moment, I'm actually using a state-of-the-art Apple desk top with a huge screen and some nifty accessories including this fabulous keyboard and mouse…. although clearly the technology far, far exceeds my talents including that for typing.
And I didn't say *I* was planning to get rid of ANY of my distractions.
YOU are the one who was complaining about a poor, helpless, TV set…. inanimate, powerless unless you empower it, while advising others to follow your lead to get rid of it to do more productive things.
I was responding … and on a rather jazzy apple computer well above my meager skills…. by saying that the TV set with its easily accessible "off bottom" is hardly as intrusive as the computer of which y ou obviously avail yourself.
That's all.
And it was hardly a suggestion (in no way an order ) that came to me out of the air:
Again, I was responding to your post addressed to those you clearly felt would be more productive if they followed your lead to READ more, and to MORE MORE if they got rid of their TVS..
Just chatting actually.
What are YOU doing?
Making public policy?

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

digress
Frequent Poster

Post by digress » Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:25 pm

nmblum wrote:
digress wrote:
nmblum wrote:...
I would say, chuck your computer and buy a TV…
No, at this particular moment, I'm actually using a state-of-the-art Apple desk top with a huge screen and some nifty accessories including this fabulous keyboard and mouse…. although clearly the technology far, far exceeds my talents including that for typing.
YOU are the one who was complaining about a poor, helpless, TV set…. inanimate, powerless unless you empower it, while advising others to follow your lead to get rid of it to do more productive things.
I was responding … and on a rather jazzy apple computer well above my meager skills…. by saying that the TV set with its easily accessible "off bottom" is hardly as intrusive as the computer of which y ou obviously avail yourself.
That's all.
And it was hardly a suggestion (in no way an order ) that came to me out of the air:
Again, I was responding to your post addressed to those you clearly felt would be more productive if they followed your lead to READ more, and to MORE MORE if they got rid of their TVS..
Just chatting actually.
What are YOU doing?
Making public policy?

NMB
I never said anything about being productive. I said you will find new incentives.

You seem to have mangled my personal account with some sort of fact and then misplaced your judgement of TV use [being unproductive] by applying its assumption to my reading. You've no need to be so defensive or use words like extremism.

Did you feel threatened by what you read?
  God is an idea.  

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:17 pm

digress wrote:
nmblum wrote:
digress wrote:
nmblum wrote:...
I would say, chuck your computer and buy a TV…
That's all.
Just chatting actually.
What are YOU doing?
Making public policy?

NMB
I never said anything about being productive. I said you will find new incentives.

You seem to have mangled my personal account with some sort of fact and then misplaced your judgement of TV use [being unproductive] by applying its assumption to my reading. You've no need to be so defensive or use words like extremism.

Did you feel threatened by what you read?

It depends on what I am reading at any given moment.
So clearly sometimes yes, and sometimes no… and for the most part indifferent.
And being human, the matter of who is writing or speaking impacts on my personal responses.
For instance, if E. O. Wilson were to question my intelligence or my character, I would certainly feel chastened even more than defensive… although that too.
And if Philip Roth questioned my female nature or my charms, that would be a blow.
Mere mortals?
Not very much.
But I forgot that among the many other things that TV DOESN'T interfere with is that I have a small but compelling employment commitment making some demands on my time… so I have to leave now, despite enjoying this exchange so much.
(I do have a mobile device but prefer to use it for audible listening when I am on the road…)
Perhaps later…. bookmark the page.

NMB
Skepticism:

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:48 pm

I stopped watching TV primarily because the current Prime Minister is the first person in my life that I legitimately and viscerally want to punch right in his smarmy BS lying face nose.

Hard.

Can't stand sight or sound of him. It makes me angry. I mean really angry.

Plus the vast majority of slop dished up isn't worth my time. Reality TV. And the endless screaming ads. More ads than content. If it's not that it's screaming fear-mongering propaganda.

I feel much more at peace with myself and the world not watching TV.

The only real loss I feel is you can't put a nice pot plant on these new TVs.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:10 am

Major Malfunction wrote:I stopped watching TV primarily because the current Prime Minister is the first person in my life that I legitimately and viscerally want to punch right in his smarmy BS lying face nose.
If I came across Tony Abbott in a dark alley, I'd kill him. He and that idiot Bishop, have done phenomenal damage to Australia and our overseas reputation. DFAT is now behaving like when Downer was Foreign Minister. Downer flew to PNG and got off his plane, near two enormous wooden boxes at the end of the runway. The permanent secretary didn't tell him they were two Russian Hind helicopters, bought by Tim Spicer and Sandline Mercenaries, to kill Ok Tedi copper mine strikers. Downer was considered a security risk, when he was Foreign Minister. Bishop is now getting the same treatment.

A "one term' four year government, should not screw with 20 year long plans, for short term political gain.

End rant.....

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:22 am

How did the {!#%@} get elected? I haven't spoken to a single person who admits to voting for him. Everyone I've spoken to hates him. That's not just an anecdotal statistical anomaly. That's proper data.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:31 am

Major Malfunction wrote:How did the {!#%@} get elected? I haven't spoken to a single person who admits to voting for him. Everyone I've spoken to hates him. That's not just an anecdotal statistical anomaly. That's proper data.
I saw Bill Bailey last last week. He made that exact same statement. "I never met anyone who voted for your ridiculous prime minister" and receive an ovation.

I don't get it either. We simply have to get rid of him as fast as possible. I imagine Bishop will make a leadership challenge as Abbott is so unpopular.

Can you remember when Abbott publicly accepted that a CH7 cameraman was his illegitimate son, while he was a practising catholic at Sydney Uni? It was a set up. The man is an idiot. He can't remember who he rooted at Uni yet still wanted to become PM.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/National/ ... 55138.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Major Malfunction
Has No Life

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:40 am

Seems "Leaders" just elect themselves these days.

Oh, and their own pay rises.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Nov 21, 2014 6:06 pm

I like cartoons and the NFL. Once a week I'll watch Big Bang Theory. I also try to watch The Walking Dead, but I've missed the last three episodes because I've been out and about, being alive and stuff.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?