Double Shot of Ogopogo News

Did you see something about a monster in the news? Tell us about it.
Jedischooldropout

Double Shot of Ogopogo News

Post by Jedischooldropout » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Just days apart two bits of Ogopogo (my personal Cryptid of choice) news:

http://www.canada.com/technology/scienc ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And then, on the Eve of TAM7 (I first read about it in my hotel room):

http://www.canada.com/Mystery+carcass+l ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I actually think it's totally plausible that there could be an undiscovered species in the cold-depths of Lake Okanagan, but it's not going to be a pleisosaur. More likely a tiny species that surfaces to spawn in a writhing mass on rare occassions and is an occasional contributor to the many things that make up sightings of the beast.
Even that strikes me as unlikely.
But let's just go with it for a moment... let's say someone did find something like what I've imagined above or another zoological explanation involving an undiscovered species. No ogopogo proponent will accept it - not unless it's a 40+ ft serpent.
It's the certainty of that which makes me dismissive of the credulous experts.

DoctorAtlantis
Poster
Custom Title: KSOFM

Re: Double Shot of Ogopogo News

Post by DoctorAtlantis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 pm

Ben's first love is lake monsters - as far as I can tell. I want to bring on as many scientists as we can - but we'll need to talk about specific ideas to get the right ones. I doubt there are any scientists who know as much about lake monsters as Ben - but that's just because "real scientists" typically don't study monsters. But what they do study can often help us analyze the plausibility of a particular cryptozoology hypothesis.

Episode #3 will deal with Plesiosaurs to some extent in relationship to this famous photo:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Post by idoubtit » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 pm

{!#%@} Skeptic: (Can I call you AHS for short? :mrgreen: )

I'd heard about this. I guess the pictures have yet to be released. I'm disappointed that Arlene gets the scoop. Wouldn't you call the Fish or Game commission/service to examine an unknown carcass? Isn't Arlene just sort of a historian of sorts, collecting eyewitness accounts? I haven't gotten round to reading her book.

This is an overall question that I'm interested in hearing ideas about - what to do with the body of something weird. I'll post in another thread.

Jedischooldropout

Post by Jedischooldropout » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:56 pm

"AHS" - yeah that'll do... and it'll keep the NSFW content down on the forum.

It is unfortunate that someone would call Arlene first, but like with the chaplin film, everyone is just hoping for their 15 minutes fo fame, and she IS the best route to that.

Mrs. Gaal is what I would call an Archivist - at least that's what my museum curator ex identified her as.

Her book - there are actually three of them, though I believe the first is out of print - is bloody awful. Not for the informational content, but for the writing style. It's a very difficult read. The sensationalism is rampant and about as uninteresting prosaically as sensationalism can get.
That said, I've actually had a conversation with her and she's a very sweet and well meaning woman, who has been very happy to have decades behind her as the 'go-to-gal' for the Ogopgo.

idoubtit
Poster
Custom Title: Overwhelmed

Post by idoubtit » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Well then I'll cross her book off my reading list, then.

I wonder if we will see any results from the body test.

Jedischooldropout

Post by Jedischooldropout » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Probably not.

It's 'no news' that a deer drowned on a swim across the lake and that half it's body was eaten by fish before it washed up so it was all but unrecognizable as an ungulate to the naked eye.

...or whatever the prosaic answer ends up being.

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Post by DoctorAtlantis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:57 pm

Jedischooldropout wrote: Probably not.

It's 'no news' that a deer drowned on a swim across the lake and that half it's body was eaten by fish before it washed up so it was all but unrecognizable as an ungulate to the naked eye.

...or whatever the prosaic answer ends up being.
It might turn out to be something interesting... 1.2 meteres is pretty big for "part of a body", but without photos... Still the article mentioned a tail so who knows?
She told him to store the body in the freezer and has arranged for two scientists to analyze DNA from the tail.
Pictures would be nice. Hopefully the DNA test results, whatever they may be, will be released to the public.

DoctorAtlantis
Poster

Post by DoctorAtlantis » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:58 pm

And then when I'm on the radio to talk about Ogopogo I completely forget about this case, this thread... Oh brain - why you got to treat me like that?

I remembered it a little bit later but I was drawing a complete blank there for a bit. :drool:

Anyway, the radio interview with AM770 – CHQR Calgary and a description of the latest sighting is here:
http://www.monstertalk.org/wordpress/?p=113" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;