Ruwa, Zimbabwe

PSI, Mediums, Ghosts, UFOs, Things That Go Bump In The Night
aabram08

Ruwa, Zimbabwe

Post by aabram08 » Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:51 am

sdf
Last edited by aabram08 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Paul
Regular Poster

Re: Ruwa, Zimbabwe

Post by Paul » Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:09 am

aabram08 wrote:Ok, my friend is into "researching" (and i use that term lightly) ufos and all that nonsense. So one case which interests me is the 62 children who have claimed to see aliens... All 62 have the same story. According to my research on this topic i could not find any explanations. Can someone please guide in retrieving an answer.

Mass Psychogenic Illness.
Mass hysteria, also called collective hysteria or collective obsessional behavior, is the sociopsychological phenomenon of the manifestation of the same or similar hysterical symptoms by more than one person. A common manifestation of mass hysteria occurs when people believe they are suffering from a similar disease or ailment. Often explained a mystery with a mystery.

Mass psychogenic illness involves people with real symptoms that are often triggered by misunderstood or false information.

Mob mentality,individuals in a group can act together without planned direction.
"Forgive your enemies, but never forget their names."
- John F. Kennedy (1917-1963)
Proud To Be a Vietnam Vet

Electric Monk
Regular Poster

Re: Ruwa, Zimbabwe

Post by Electric Monk » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:43 pm

aabram08 wrote:Ok, my friend is into "researching" (and i use that term lightly) ufos and all that nonsense. So one case which interests me is the 62 children who have claimed to see aliens... All 62 have the same story. According to my research on this topic i could not find any explanations. Can someone please guide in retrieving an answer.

From a quick look on Google, there are clips from paranormal-friendly TV shows, such as this one:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-7626239830874428882

A description of the case by the first UFO investigator, Cynthia Hind is here, along with drawings made by the children:
http://www.ufoevidence.org/Cases/case127.htm

And some discussions on other forums, that don't ever get beyond asking "why would 62 such innocent African children lie?", and patronizing speculations that they wouldn't be exposed to media's depictions of UFOs because Africans don't have TVs.

It appears that some number of children (only a few are presented in the videos) reported a sighting at their school playground on September 16th 1994 that was immediately reported in the local media. In response, Cynthia Hind, a UFO investigator went to interview the children four days later. According to her report, she interviewed "about 10 or 12 older children and this was recorded for BBC television". So we don't have access to the stories of 62 children, but only about a dozen. Saying that "all 62 have the same story" is not supported by the evidence.

Here is the description of the encounter as stitched together by Hind from her 10-12 interviews:
Hind wrote:The reports were similar although some children were more observant than others. The consensus of opinion was that an object came down in the area where they indicated, about 100 metres from where they were at the edge of the school playing field. Then a small man (approx 1 metre in height) appeared on top of the object. He walked a little way across the rough ground, became aware of the children and disappeared. He, or someone very like him, then reappeared at the back of the object. The object took off very rapidly and disappeared. The little man was dressed in a tight-fitting black suit which was 'shiny' according to one observant girl (11 years of age). He had a long scrawny neck and huge eyes like rugby balls. He had a pale face with long black hair coming below his shoulders.

The pictures included on the web page do not look similar at all to me, except that they all show stereotypical disk-saucers of varying shapes and colors, and stereotypical aliens of varying shapes and colors. Some drawings of the alien show it as hairless and others take pains to point out the long black hair of Hind's description. Based on this, it appears to me that Hind harmonized the discordant tales of her interviewees to come up with their "consensus" for them.

The area that the children indicated that the object landed was an out-of-bounds area for them due to dangerous terrain and creatures. This taboo could have invited storytelling among the children, but that's just speculation on my part.

Hind described the area this way:
Hind wrote:I found no place where some object could have landed and pressed down the foliage. In fact, I should think the bamboo stumps would have been a deterrent.

This may be the source for her earlier statement in the piece that "[t]here is also some controversy as to whether the object _landed_ on the ground or hovered above it." Some of the children's drawings show that the object is on the ground. Two even show landing legs. Did the "hovering" possibility come from the children, or is it something that Hind made up to allow some reconciliation with the physical evidence?

So that's what I can see from this story. I hope it helps you.

--James
ancora imparo