Recurring doubt

Creationism, Intelligent Design, and Evolution.
landrew
Has No Life

Recurring doubt

Post by landrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:18 pm

It's common wisdom that you should never change an answer on a multiple-choice test, except when it's clear that you misunderstood the question. Our instincts and intuition usually guide us to the best answer, but our own over-thinking can often de-rail us from that path. A teacher once told our class that he had a student who was seen frantically erasing and changing answers throughout a test, but ended up failing it. He said the answers that had been erased were mostly the correct answers, and the student would have passed with an A if the answers hadn't been changed. Occam's Razor comes to mind.

Similarly, we hear hair-brained theories being widely published, such as: "The bony armored frill around the head of a horned dinosaur
(ceratopsians) was strictly for mating purposes, not defense from predators." Or: "It was only coincidental that many species went extinct around the time of the arrival of homo sapiens, including the neanderthals." Best of all, "Modern-day chickens are dinosaurs." All of this is nonsense, caused by over-thinking.

Secondarily, it gives a researcher an excuse to publish and to gain a bit of attention. Everyone wants to be the game-changer in history, even when there's no sane reason to change the game.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Re: Recurring doubt

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Yeah, when we don't really know, we should say that we don't really know.

Should have been phrased, "The bony armored frill around the head of a horned dinosaur (ceratopsians) may have been strictly for mating purposes, not defense from predators." and "Modern-day chickens may share a common ancestor with dinosaurs."

Followed by specific evidence.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed May 01, 2019 12:20 am

Chickens are like 99% dinosaurs...........last I read. Just watch the embryo development. First stage like all of us is: Fish. But then dino for the chicken and then full on egg laying chicken....ummmmm, tastes good.

Like homo's have tails, so do chickens. the DNA code for tail is about the same for all: grow one more vertebrae right there. Dino's had the raw code....then chickens and homo's had another dna code sequence to STOP the vertebrates from growing....now!

Read a longish very interesting article about how Jurassic Park could well be established by mere "simple" manipulation of the on/off dna sequencing genes in a chicken. With the monthly reports on how cheaper and effective CRISPR is getting: how far off could a18 inch tall Velociraptor be?

What would its eggs taste like? Will some desk top nerd switch off the "stop growth now" sequence giving us T-Rex Chicken? Will T-Rex Chicken seek revenge against all mankind, or just Col Sanders?

Inquiring minds want to know...........

If you don't already know: google the chicken and find out why they lay so many eggs. Fascinating.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Wed May 01, 2019 6:11 am

What? Chickens aren't velociraptors? Who knew…

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed May 01, 2019 7:01 am

TJrandom wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 6:11 am
What? Chickens aren't velociraptors? Who knew…
they taste the same.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:21 pm

Should have been phrased, "The bony armored frill around the head of a horned dinosaur (ceratopsians) may have been strictly for mating purposes, not defense from predators." and "Modern-day chickens may share a common ancestor with dinosaurs."

To be clear, you can say modern-day chickens are dinosaurs if you follow the reasoning that you never evolve out of a clade, so all descendants of dinosaurs are still dinosaurs, have always been dinosaurs, and will always be dinosaurs.

That means that all birds belong to the following groups:

Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Clade: Dinosauria
Order: Saurischia
Suborder: Theropoda
Clade: Euornithes
Clade: Ornithuromorpha
Clade: Ornithurae
Class: Aves

If you go to youtube, Aron Ra has some interesting videos on phylogenetics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAJfDi ... kgSRZrjadw

Rethinking things to see if we've got them right is a useful tool. If anyone wants to call this "hair-brained" or "over-thinking", I suggest they throw away their computer and go back to living in the woods since pretty much all scientific advances would fall into the same category.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed May 01, 2019 1:57 pm

Gord wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 11:39 am
Pyrrho wrote:

To be clear, you can say modern-day chickens are dinosaurs if you follow the reasoning that you never evolve out of a clade, so all descendants of dinosaurs are still dinosaurs, have always been dinosaurs, and will always be dinosaurs.

If you go to youtube, Aron Ra has some interesting videos on phylogenetics: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAJfDi ... kgSRZrjadw

Rethinking things to see if we've got them right is a useful tool. If anyone wants to call this "hair-brained" or "over-thinking", I suggest they throw away their computer and go back to living in the woods since pretty much all scientific advances would fall into the same category.
I watched the video and found it very interesting, but I don't understand clades or your groups, above.

Are you saying that birds belong to one clade or another, or that, say, a robin, can belong to more than one clade?

(Btw, there is an egg incubator next to my computer with around 35 chicken eggs in it, half of which are supposed to hatch today and the rest Sunday, but no activity at the moment.

These eggs are from Araucana x Golden Phoenix crosses. The Araucanas lay blue-green eggs and the Phoenixes are beautiful birds, with the males having very long tails. My project is to cross the F1s, if they hatch and survive, and try to breed a beautiful chicken that lays blue-green eggs.

I had some problems with the incubator thermometer a while back, and hope that I'm not going to lose this whole batch of eggs.)
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Wed May 01, 2019 4:43 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:57 pm
Gord wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:

I watched the video and found it very interesting, but I don't understand clades or your groups, above.
Which video? Aron Ra has many videos. Here's one that talks about systematic phylogenetics (also known as Cladistic taxonomy):

He also has a series called Systematic Classification of Life which has 39 episodes so far:

Are you saying that birds belong to one clade or another, or that, say, a robin, can belong to more than one clade?
Yes. A clade is defined at wikipedia, for example, as a group of organisms that consists of a common ancestor and all its lineal descendants, and represents a single "branch" on the "tree of life". So for example the clade Ornithurae would be all the branches that lead from one ancestor, but does not necessarily contain all the descendants of the common ancestor of the clade Ornithuromorpha even though everything that is a member of Ornithurae is a member of Ornithuromorpha. Think of them as familial relationships -- if your grandfather had two sons (your father and your uncle) who each had two sons (you and your brother on the one hand, and two cousins on the other hand), you would all be members of the "clade" starting with your grandfather, but your cousins would not be members of the "clade" starting with your father.

All descendants of dinosaurs are therefore members of the clade Dinosauria.
(Btw, there is an egg incubator next to my computer with around 35 chicken eggs in it, half of which are supposed to hatch today and the rest Sunday, but no activity at the moment.

These eggs are from Araucana x Golden Phoenix crosses. The Araucanas lay blue-green eggs and the Phoenixes are beautiful birds, with the males having very long tails. My project is to cross the F1s, if they hatch and survive, and try to breed a beautiful chicken that lays blue-green eggs.

I had some problems with the incubator thermometer a while back, and hope that I'm not going to lose this whole batch of eggs.)
May all your chickens hatch. :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Wed May 01, 2019 7:34 pm

Gord wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 4:43 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
Wed May 01, 2019 1:57 pm
Gord wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:

Which video? Aron Ra has many videos. Here's one that talks about systematic phylogenetics (also known as Cladistic taxonomy):

He also has a series called Systematic Classification of Life which has 39 episodes so far:

Yes. A clade is defined at wikipedia, for example, as a group of organisms that consists of a common ancestor and all its lineal descendants, and represents a single "branch" on the "tree of life". So for example the clade Ornithurae would be all the branches that lead from one ancestor, but does not necessarily contain all the descendants of the common ancestor of the clade Ornithuromorpha even though everything that is a member of Ornithurae is a member of Ornithuromorpha. Think of them as familial relationships -- if your grandfather had two sons (your father and your uncle) who each had two sons (you and your brother on the one hand, and two cousins on the other hand), you would all be members of the "clade" starting with your grandfather, but your cousins would not be members of the "clade" starting with your father.

All descendants of dinosaurs are therefore members of the clade Dinosauria.

May all your chickens hatch. :mrgreen:
I had watched the first video- Phylogeny Challenge.

Thank you for your explanation. I'm going to watch the other two videos, and chew on and try to digest your explanation later tis evening.

Still not a peep.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot

Lance Kennedy
Has No Life
Custom Title: Super Skeptic

Post by Lance Kennedy » Thu May 02, 2019 12:53 am

I never liked the word "clade". It is too damn non specific. If you want to know the proper classification of any group you should use the proper words, like phylum, class, order, family, genus, etc.

Birds are descended from dinosaurs, and remain the closest thing in the world today to dinosaurs. The exact classification of birds remains controversial. My own view is that we should bite the bullet and call Aves an order under the class Reptilia.

Then the reptiles would be divided into five orders.
Birds, the most successful reptiles.
Crocodiles and alligators.
Turtles and tortoises.
Snakes and lizards.
Tuatara.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu May 02, 2019 1:00 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu May 02, 2019 5:28 am

Still no baby chicks. I've incubated eggs a few times and have never had a complete failure. A storm knocked out power for a couple of hours about half way through the hatch. I covered the incubator with blankets and the temperature dropped from 100 F to the mid-90's before power was restored.

Whether that was enough to kill all the eggs I don't know. The other half of the eggs are supposed to hatch this coming Sunday. We'll see.

I still haven't seen he other videos, but intend to.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu May 02, 2019 6:06 am

Can't you see if the chicks are alive with a strong flashlight?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu May 02, 2019 6:39 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:06 am
Can't you see if the chicks are alive with a strong flashlight?
That's a thought.

I don't know if I could tell that way, but I don't want to open the lid and mess with the incubator now. Either they are alive or not.

One thing I'd like to avoid, though, is exploding rotten eggs. That is one horrible stench.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 am

Relatives of mine raise chicks, and they use a flashlight with which you can see the thing move inside the egg if alive - it reacts to the warmth.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu May 02, 2019 4:30 pm

My first "real" job was on a chicken ranch. Every egg got washed in soapy dish water, dried, and then "candled" by going over a bright light that allowed seeing inside the egg. Purpose was to affirm there were no fertilized eggs with an embryo of any size and to remove eggs with any "blood spot" or any cracks in the shell. Its fun to see how much of the human body will be visible with a very strong light source attached to it. Good for the same analysis used on chickens................
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu May 02, 2019 11:17 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 6:57 am
Relatives of mine raise chicks, and they use a flashlight with which you can see the thing move inside the egg if alive - it reacts to the warmth.
We used a 100 watt light bulb. More warmth.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri May 03, 2019 10:45 am

Go to the light!
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat May 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Schrödinger's chicks?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat May 11, 2019 4:09 pm

The chick hatchery hired a theoretical physicist, so they could print on the box: "The chickens in this box have a 50% probability of being either dead or alive."

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sun May 12, 2019 2:59 pm

Well, I started up the incubator again this morning, with 16 eggs in it.

If all goes well, and they hatch around June 1, just a few males and females should be enough for the F1 generation, I would think. They would be hybrids of two pure strains, and should all be very much the same.

It would be the F2 generation, where a lot of diversity would be expected, where one would want a lot of birds to select from.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 pm

So the others didn't hatch at all?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Mon May 13, 2019 10:42 pm

Gord wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:36 pm
I assume he ate them - waste not, want not. ;)

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:42 pm
Gord wrote:
Balut!

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue May 14, 2019 7:41 am

landrew wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 11:20 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 10:42 pm
Gord wrote:
Balut!
Or... just rotten eggs. :shock:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 am

Gord wrote:
No, I even gave them a couple of extra days to make sure, and not a single egg hatched.

This time there are 16 large fresh eggs from young healthy chickens in the incubator which is holding perfectly at 100 degrees plus or minus about a half a degree, and I expect around a perfect hatch unless there is a power outage. One egg is exceptionally large, which may be due to a double yolk or something, and we'll see what happens with that one. (Could this end up with a breed of giant chickens? :D )

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 am
Gord wrote:
No, I even gave them a couple of extra days to make sure, and not a single egg hatched.

This time there are 16 large fresh eggs from young healthy chickens in the incubator which is holding perfectly at 100 degrees plus or minus about a half a degree, and I expect around a perfect hatch unless there is a power outage. One egg is exceptionally large, which may be due to a double yolk or something, and we'll see what happens with that one. (Could this end up with a breed of giant chickens? :D )
Erm... didjya have a rooster with the egg layer? :roll:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue May 14, 2019 9:45 am

TJrandom wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:20 am
Tom Palven wrote:
Tue May 14, 2019 8:07 am
Gord wrote:

Erm... didjya have a rooster with the egg layer? :roll:
Yes, a young healthy Golden Phoenix rooster with several Ameraucana hens, and a two young Ameraucana roosters with several Golden Phoenix hens contributed to the first batch of eggs.

This current batch of 16 eggs is from one Golden Phoenix rooster with "blue" (slate gray) legs, and 4 Ameraucana hens which were chosen for having large well-developed tails for Ameraucana hens.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/review ... ana.10835/

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am

Recurring Trouble

My chicken incubator with automatic egg turner was humming along just fine and holding steady at 100 degrees F for two weeks when the power went out last night at 6:23 last evening and didn't come back on until 9:30.

Despite putting a heavy blanket over the incubator the temperature dropped to 88 degrees before the power came back on.

I'll find out in a week whether any of the eggs hatch. If it's a total bust this will be the third straight time this has happened, and I will consider dropping this little breeding effort.

Possibly, one of the Ameraucana hens will get broody and sit on the clutch of eggs I've left to them this time. They are supposed to be good setters, and I've had some in the past that were, but no joy here recently.

There was some thunder and lightning in the distance last night, but we weren't even directly hit by the storm that took the power out.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 am
Recurring Trouble

My chicken incubator with automatic egg turner was humming along just fine and holding steady at 100 degrees F for two weeks when the power went out last night at 6:23 last evening and didn't come back on until 9:30.

Despite putting a heavy blanket over the incubator the temperature dropped to 88 degrees before the power came back on.

I'll find out in a week whether any of the eggs hatch. If it's a total bust this will be the third straight time this has happened, and I will consider dropping this little breeding effort.

Possibly, one of the Ameraucana hens will get broody and sit on the clutch of eggs I've left to them this time. They are supposed to be good setters, and I've had some in the past that were, but no joy here recently.

There was some thunder and lightning in the distance last night, but we weren't even directly hit by the storm that took the power out.
You may need to invest in a UPS/generator. You might even find a used generator for cheap.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am
Tom Palven wrote:
Recurring Trouble

You may need to invest in a UPS/generator. You might even find a used generator for cheap.
A cheap UPS is good for minutes; a cheap generator is good for days. If you were watching the temperature, you might have tried putting pots of hot water under the blanket, provided you have a hot water tank that stays hot for several hours after a power failure. A cheap generator is probably the best option, provided it's reliable enough to run throughout power failures.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:38 pm

Whatever happened to candlelight?

Ouch, dammit... dang tea light... :glare:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 am

landrew wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:00 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:20 am
Tom Palven wrote:
Recurring Trouble

A cheap UPS is good for minutes; a cheap generator is good for days. If you were watching the temperature, you might have tried putting pots of hot water under the blanket, provided you have a hot water tank that stays hot for several hours after a power failure. A cheap generator is probably the best option, provided it's reliable enough to run throughout power failures.
We had a big powerful new generator that saved us some food in our frig and freezer after a tropical storm. But that generator was in my shop a couple of cement blocks lower than the main part of the house, and it got flooded by hurricane Irma in 2017. We were in Michigan at an herb society meeting at the time, and that storm wasn't predicted to take the path it did.

I gave that generator to my grandson, who is good with motors, and I bought a new, medium-sized Ryobi generator at Home Depot for about $800, but I haven't taken it out of the box, yet.

I have no love for cars or trucks and hate all engines, big and small. And with a generator you are supposed to start it up every couple of months or to drain the fuel and put in additives, and I much prefer to dig ditches than to do that kind of work. I've never been good at it and it has always been unrewarding.

My plan was to just leave the new Ryobi in the box until I need it, but now I'm questioning that. I think that maybe unless you are wealthy and can afford a very large gas or propane generator that starts itself automatically every so often and starts automatically during a power outage and is hardwired in your house so you aren't dragging cords around, that maybe a generator isn't a good answer for you, or at least for me.

I'm thinking that a generator can save food from spoiling and can provide light and microwave food, but is it worth the initial investment and the nuisance maintenance? And to me, even a generator rated as very low noise, like the one I had, was awful damned noisy as far as I was concerned.

I'm thinking that it might be better to plan on doing some rough camping if the power goes out for a few days, and if it's a devastating storm, a generator won't be of use, anyway. You have to head for the hills.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 pm

Sounds like you know how to solve all your own problems.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 pm

landrew wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Well, I'm glad that it at least sounds that way! :D

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:07 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:04 pm
landrew wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:57 pm
Well, I'm glad that it at least sounds that way! :D
It also sounds like you failed to act on your own ideas.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:23 pm

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:46 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:03 am
... We had a big powerful new generator ...
I just hate it when I know a solution but don't implement it because I am lazy - hard stuff, like opening a jar, filling a gas tank, placing valuables where they don't get damaged, etc. Why I still eat raw eggs, shell and all, since learning how to crack them open would be just too much effort. :lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:34 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Recurring Trouble

Total hatch failure for the third time in a row.

Cracked out the eggs that were supposed to hatch Sunday.

Most were in an advanced state of development indicating to me that the failure was due to the power outage that had dropped the temperature to 88 degrees before the power came back on. Prior to, and after that, the incubator was keeping them at a perfect 100 degrees.

I'll give it another try and also hope that one of the hens will hatch a clutch of eggs.

The four young chicks hatched by a female of the male Ameraucana x Phoenix hen are getting big. I don't know their sex yet, and wouldn't want to pin hopes on them.

I still want to get a bunch of chicks from may blue-legged Phoenix male x Ameraucana hens, with "the hope that springs eternal within the human breast."

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:38 am

You're overthinking it.