Nazi Germany and the Independent State of Croatia

Discussions
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Re: Nazi Germany and the Independent State of Croatia

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm

The Croatians thought of themselves as the bulwark - and this goes back deep into Balkan history - of the West against the East. The Ustasha narrative of Croatian history positioned Croats as a Gothic people, without kinship to Serbs. Serbs, in this narrative, were without rights in the region as they were newcomers transplanted to the region by the Ottomans; here, the ethnic identities overlapped with religion. But the Serbs were also depicted as tools of the Austro-Hungarian empire and then oppressors during the Yugoslavia period.

Although the Germans favored the Croats, and battered the Serbs in their own right, I don't recall the Nazis developing views on Croatian history. Nothing I've read (or at least can recall) speaks to the explicit question of eligibility for Reich citizenship but that would have been impossible. The Germans viewed the Croatians as better than Serbs, who, as Slavs in the Nazi and Croatian narrative, were Untermenschen and enemies. The Ustasha defined themselves as Aryans and enacted racial legislation on this basis, but my recollection is that the Nazis didn't accept this, either. Also, other than Kasche, the Germans looked down on and were exasperated by the NDH. Their principal allies in former Yugoslavia were the Volksdeutsche. Tomasevich's conceptual framework is that the NDH was not an independent country but a territory occupied by - and plundered, exploited, and ill-used by - the Third Reich.

I'll poke around in some books tonight or tomorrow on this.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Goody67
Regular Poster

Post by Goody67 » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:01 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:31 pm
The Croatians thought of themselves as the bulwark - and this goes back deep into Balkan history - of the West against the East. The Ustasha narrative of Croatian history positioned Croats as a Gothic people, without kinship to Serbs. Serbs, in this narrative, were without rights in the region as they were newcomers transplanted to the region by the Ottomans; here, the ethnic identities overlapped with religion. But the Serbs were also depicted as tools of the Austro-Hungarian empire and then oppressors during the Yugoslavia period.

Although the Germans favored the Croats, and battered the Serbs in their own right, I don't recall the Nazis developing views on Croatian history. Nothing I've read (or at least can recall) speaks to the explicit question of eligibility for Reich citizenship but that would have been impossible. The Germans viewed the Croatians as better than Serbs, who, as Slavs in the Nazi and Croatian narrative, were Untermenschen and enemies. The Ustasha defined themselves as Aryans and enacted racial legislation on this basis, but my recollection is that the Nazis didn't accept this, either. Also, other than Kasche, the Germans looked down on and were exasperated by the NDH. Their principal allies in former Yugoslavia were the Volksdeutsche. Tomasevich's conceptual framework is that the NDH was not an independent country but a territory occupied by - and plundered, exploited, and ill-used by - the Third Reich.

I'll poke around in some books tonight or tomorrow on this.
According to The Table Talks, Hitler said in July 1941, "the Croats are certainly more Germanic than Slav."

Did the Nazis ever ban any sexual relations or marriages between Germans and Croats? They never banned sexual relations and marriages between Germans and Czechs, so I don't think they did between Germans and Croats.
"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." - Mark Twain

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:32 am

Not that I am aware of.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Goody67
Regular Poster

Post by Goody67 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:12 am

Slavic? Various ethnic groups that today live in the Greater German Reich are primarily of Germanic origin, but are said in the press and publications to be Slavic. These peoples themselves, the Slavs and Croats, do not want to be Slavic, and are not such. The term Slav is not a racial concept, but rather stems from national-ethnic attitudes.
- Guidelines on the War, Cuts in Food Rations, and Language Choice, 1942

Redner-Schnellinformation, Lieferung 24, 4 January 1942.

https://research.calvin.edu/german-prop ... /rsi24.htm
"Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life." - Mark Twain