Brexit

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Re: Brexit

Post by Poodle » Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:55 pm

But I've told you several times where my feelings on Brexit lie, bobbo. Did you not read my posts?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 pm

Feelings?

You have said you voted against Brexit but are against voting again TWO YEARS LATER when new and different realities are recognized.

You have said the UK should be able to leave the EU but have EU rights and benefits at the EU border with Ireland. You have said this and then that the EU has nothing to do with the border issue. Feelings might explain that.

Feelings...............I don't want to get banned.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:20 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:00 pm
Feelings?

You have said you voted against Brexit but are against voting again TWO YEARS LATER when new and different realities are recognized.

You have said the UK should be able to leave the EU but have EU rights and benefits at the EU border with Ireland. You have said this and then that the EU has nothing to do with the border issue. Feelings might explain that.

Feelings...............I don't want to get banned.
Nope - I never said either of the glowy bits

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:55 pm

glowy bit no 1: I agree you never said that. I said that, and you didn't disagree just repeated that the Original Brexit vote had to be stuck with because..............you know..............because. But is it deniable? Is another glowy bit in the offing?

glowy bit no 2: what you said re there is technology making the border as transparent as possible is tantamount to the same thing.

I mean: I really think MY FEELINGS about what you said should be honored too................thats what feelings do.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 am

Mrs May is off to Brussels for further discussions again today. As far as public knowledge goes, neither side has anything new to say so, assuming that's true, she'll be very shortly on her way back home again. Unless (nudge, nudge) there's something the public don't yet know.
All of this toing and froing - ALL of it - could be avoided simply by setting up a time-limited transition period. I've worded that carefully, as such a thing is actually the backstop with an agreed end date. There - simple. I should be a diplomat.
So why isn't there a time-limited transition period? The UK has already said it would agree to that.

EDIT FOR BOBBO: Agreed end date. Bear that short phrase in mind. It is the EU Commission which refuses to limit the proposed backstop.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:26 am

Aha!!!! Guy Verhofstadt may have given the whole game away.
A report from the Daily Express (but repeated in other newspapers) ...
"European Parliament Brexit co-ordinator Guy Verhofstadt also ridiculed the "lack of clarity and lack of stability" in the British position, with "teeny-tiny" majorities deciding different positions in the Commons."
It deserves the bolding. He REALLY said this. Teeny-tiny majorities indeed. Verhofstadt is the only Belgian as far as I know who has ever uttered such a telling statement. Obviously, in his pea-brain, a large minority outweighs a tiny majority every time.
EU democracy at its finest!

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 5:46 pm

Poodle wrote:
Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:46 am
EDIT FOR BOBBO: Agreed end date. Bear that short phrase in mind. It is the EU Commission which refuses to limit the proposed backstop.
Poodle....are you sensate? The EU WANTS TO PUNISH THE UK for wanting to leave. Evidently, a war of conquest, the normal response, is not on the table....Europe being so civilized and all. I'LL SAY IT THE THIRD TIME: don't expect the pain and "unreasonableness" to stop with the mere break out. All the elements are in PLAIN VIEW: EU is going to KEEEEEEEEEEEP PUNISHING the UK for leaving. How much more can i possibly bear in mind that its the EU that refuses to limit the backstop?????????? Do I have to PISS IN YOUR EAR? Words on the page don't get your attention. From me, or from the EU.

Ha, ha...........vote again........or you are twice the idiot.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 7:24 pm

Your view of the civilised world is severely distorted, bobbo.
You do realise that the UK has the economic clout to reciprocate any hostile economic action on the part of the EU? Except, being a very childish and, frankly, {!#%@} stupid thing to do, the UK won't do it. Instead, after Brexit, the UK will negotiate a trade deal with the EU. Just like it has ALREADY begun to do with the rest of the world.
However, if you insist upon thinking that having childish temper tantrums, telling blatant lies and issuing economic threats is an OK thing to do, I advise you to emigrate to North Korea - it would be right up your street.
A war of conquest would definitely not be on the table - a) there are no EU armed forces and b) the UK isn't an international bully boy.
So - do tell me what you think was right and proper in throwing insults around because some countries and, in fact, some international organisations pursue democracy?
I don't think you meant 'sensate'. It doesn't mean what you think, I think.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:11 pm

Ha, ha.........well, I got your attention? That was the goal in using sensate in that offering: "having physical sensation" like the ability to hear? Do I still have that wrong?? A synonym though more base for "conscious"? I accept its not often used in that sense. ........you know.........my feelings.

My view of the civilized world: we have moved to trade wars rather than the current euphemism of "kinetic." am I wrong that trading goods and tariffs is more civilized than trading armed conflict?

Already stated UK is Worlds Fifth Largest Economy on its own....After Germany, Before FRance.............the EU not listed in the surveys but even without the UK in it.....would be significantly larger? Didn't YOU post that a break out would mean increased food prices/shortages along with medicine too? So, the retaliation would be?........................????

Q-1: Who is having childish temper tantrums and what insults are being levied? In context, I take this to mean the Backstop? I see the backstop and refusal to limit it to Ireland as a totally appropriate response/"punishment" to the UK from the EU........not even so much as to punish the UK per se but rather and more importantly to keep the other EU states in line. Third Time: I thought we agreed on this point?

Ha, ha...........your insult re North Korea is a bit dislocated and out of Date. Its the GOUSA that issues such threats these days. I'm right at home now.

I'm not aware of any insults...I just haven't heard/track the discussion. I accept all politicians lie to put what they think is the best case on any issue....its what I called the "CON" job. so commonly done, I may fail to even recognize it as I listen to most news programs with the volume off.....I can still see their lips moving. The analysis I do listen to after the assumed introductory lies doesn't really go into the "lies" over here in the USA.....unless its MSNBC and they are talking about Trump.===this is a worthwhile development that took about 18 months to get going.

Sensate: I covered it first as last read, most remembered, and the one critique I am most sensitive about. I like being frosty in my language when intended to be so. Won't work without the right word? Can you confirm?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:31 pm

Punish? Keep in line? I don't know what you think the EU is, bobbo, but such phrases are not even vaguely appropriate.
Once more for your enlightenment - the EU is not a political entity. It is solely an economic organisation. The UK was and remains an independent political entity. You seem incapable of understanding this in your rush to be amused. You were once a member of the NATO airforce, so you should know what I'm talking about.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Feb 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Lets Honor the dialectic?

I'll answer the obvious after you answer what is not obvious.........at least to me.

Q-1: Who is having childish temper tantrums and what insults are being levied?

Not important enough to number and keep track of: my use of sensate. I do value your opinion on this and the facts on the first. How else can we disagree??

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 6:15 am

At last a glimmer of good sense from within the EU. Poland has suggested that a 5-year limit on the backstop would be workable. I agree - it would - but only if restricted to Northern Ireland (which was the original intent of the EU anyway). In fact, after the EU Commission wrote the backstop into Mrs May's deal, a time limit was her suggestion in response but was turned down flat. I forecast that Poland will gather support for their suggestion from countries around the periphery of the EU but will be opposed by the Commission, France and Spain. Other countries - notably Germany - will stop and think about it seriously.
Common sense could be a winner. A lot depends upon the attitude of the Democratic Unionist Party of Northern Ireland. If they see this as against their own declarations but merely a temporary expedient, all will be well. If they stand fast on their 'no different treatment for Northern Ireland' ticket' then we're back to square one.
An offer from Whitehall of massive investment into Northern Ireland post-backstop would be hard to resist.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:18 am

Oh - that's much better. Thanks for the tip, TJ.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:20 am

And now, let us hear from a former PM and Chancellor of the Exchequer on the prospects.
Gordon Brown wrote:It is now high time for politicians to do what should have been done at the outset: bring the British people into their confidence and be honest with them that the search for a quick fix is over. “In or out” sounds simple. But even the hardest of hard-line Brexiteers who want “out” remain keen to buy and sell to EU countries and to travel freely to and from Europe. And that requires the complex supply chains serving industries like aviation and car manufacturing; landing rights and road traffic regulations; and environmental and animal health standards. Even supplies of life-saving medications as basic as insulin would be imperiled by a no-deal Brexit.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Gordon Brown. There's a man I never trusted even when he became (by default) PM.
https://www.diabetes.org.uk/about_us/ne ... lin-brexit
https://www.channel4.com/news/factcheck ... eal-brexit

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:43 pm

The Conservative Party appears to be forming up into two distinct groupings. There's Theresa May's group, which will support her Brexit plan if (and only if) the EU offer a realistic termination date for any backstop arrangement. Then there's Jacob Rees-Mogg's European Research Group, who are ardent no-dealers and want an unconditional exit to allow the UK carte blanche in world markets AND the retention of the £39 billion EU payoff. There are good aspects and bad aspects to both sides. Of the two, the Democratic Unionist Party of Northern Ireland (in my own opinion) would most probably align themselves with Mr Rees-Mogg, support for whom has been slowly building but is still, as yet, in a minority.
May's deal is where the head lies and Moggs' deal is where the heart lies, I feel. The EU are surely aware of this and so the Commission is going to have to think very carefully about the duration of any backstop - too long and they gift the victory to the ERG. That is, of course, if they offer any termination date at all for the backstop (eg the as-yet unoffered five years). If they don't then the ERG route is a no-brainer.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Without a doubt there's money behind everything in politics. A Brexit would butter someone's bread, and it's a sure bet they are supporting the faction of government behind Brexit. I suspect the coffers were larger for the other side, therefore putting it to a popular vote was a brilliant low-budget ploy on someone's part.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Feb 03, 2019 8:58 pm

Yea verily. "The Merits" is the skirmish but the driver is the money: Cui bono......................and how well do they hide themselves. Hint: Its always the AlreadyTooRich.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:51 am

Two things shine out in the news this morning ...
One is the hoo-hah created by the newspapers whipping up the 'Euroscandal' in Sunderland in the north-east of England, where car makers Nissan have a manufacturing plant. They have pulled the projected assembly of their latest model from the factory, threatening almost 7000 jobs. Of course, the same newspapers neglected to say that the pulled model is a diesel-engined vehicle which was (very probably) not going to sell very well because of ... well ... being a diesel. Oh no, no - it's all the fault of Brexit.
Two is the Irish Prime Minister, Leo Varadkar, and his stance on the Northern Irish backstop. In the face of what appears to be a very reasonable demand from the UK (and now supported by several EU members) that any backstop must be time limited, Varadkar, vociferously, has insisted that it must not be. Such a situation could never be allowed to happen, and he knows that full well. The first of two rational conclusions which can be drawn is that there are several EU heads of state who, together with the executive of the EU Commission, think that it's OK to trap a sovereign nation in an unendable arrangement. The second is that they wish to force a no-deal Brexit, as the only way out offered by Mrs May's proposed deal is the time-limited backstop. Other EU nations appear to agree with Mrs May rather than Mr Varadkar.
What people like Varadkar appear to ignore (or fail to notice) is that there are other nations within the EU who are watching this charade with growing horror and with fairly predictable reactions. The 'eyes tight-shut and fingers in ears' approach to EU diplomacy is a long-term loser which, I think, may presage the end of the EU as a workable entity.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:12 am

Yes, NPR also featured the Sunderland situation yesterday morning and laid the blame entirely at the feet of Brexit. They were led to do so because apparently the Nissan executives who announced the relocation (to Japan, by the way) made some noises about the uncertainty of being able to sell the cars in the EU. I didn't realize the cars in question were diesels. That doth cast a different light on the situation.

Who might decide to opt out of the EU after this shitstorm? I think it's likely to be countries in the middle range, like Italy. The big powers, France and Germany, have enough clout to control events in the EU, and the very smallest and newest, in the East, are so far in hock for loans that they can't afford to leave. (Or so it seems to me. Come to think of it, what happens if, say, Greece decides to assert its sovereignty and pull out while renouncing its debts? It seems obvious that it wouldn't have any trading partners, and its currency would be worth even less than Tanzania's.)

But I'd better quit before I make myself look even more ignorant than I actually am (which would be difficult). There's a 5000-km wide ocean between the EU and me, and I don't follow the news from there very closely.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:58 am

You're far too modest, UoG.
You're absolutely correct in identifying the economic toilet in which Greece finds itself. Yanis Varoufakis, a recent Greek Finance Minister, issued dire warnings about that very situation but was, on the whole, totally ignored. He objected strongly to the kinds of pressure the EU was loading onto the Greek economy, and now points out that, theoretically, Greece can never get out of the situation.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:40 pm

Greece ........has been in the economic {!#%@} can ever since I can remember.

Binary thinking............Its the fault of Brexit or not at all.

Everything is a mix. the only pure position is BS.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:29 pm

It's easy to blame Greece for it's own troubles. It has been part of the so-called "PIGS" group of under-performing nations in the EU (Portugal, Italy, Greece and Spain). Massive money was poured into Greece for economic redevelopment, but instead of prosperity, Greece now finds herself in economic peril, in need of massive bailouts. The analogy is the evil banker who offers more credit to a financially distressed client at high interest rates, indenturing them to the bank for years to come. Greece has a point; the EU should shoulder some of the blame for Greece's financial fiasco.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:31 pm

Yep. "You was dumb enough to trust me.........its only fair you suffer too." Was that Plato or Aristotle?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:22 pm

This headline has just appeared in the on-line version of the Daily Telegraph ...
"Brexit latest news: EU chief tells UK 'nobody is considering' offering legal assurances on backstop in hammer blow to Theresa May"
I'm trying to find out who this particular EU chief is. Issuing such a statement at such a time seems premature to me as, if it's official, it forces the preparations for a no-deal Brexit to front and centre - there's no other choice left.
I'll be back ...

Ah - it's European Commission secretary general Martin Selmayr who says that neither Mrs May nor any other UK representative has asked for the backstop arrangement to be removed. Either he's away with the fairies or the reporter asked totally the wrong question (I favour the latter). Of course Mrs May hasn't asked for the backstop to be removed - she's asked for it to be time limited. However, Selmayr also added that the Commission was definitely not considering giving any legally-binding assurance about the backstop, That, obviously, must include a meaningful time limit.
No time limit, therefore no backstop. So if all of this is true, there is no alternative to the no-deal Brexit and preparations should begin in earnest immediately. We'll see who blinks first.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:10 pm

You keep saying that Poodle, but why in the world should the EU "blink."? You've said UK has some kind of potential retaliation they can also apply....but you don't say what that is. Its why REMAINING as a general proposition is the superior position: EU is bigger, more powerful. Why give that up to an island? If they blink..........they only encourage other states to exit.

Just look.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 pm

Then again ...
The Daily Express is reporting that European Commission secretary general Martin Selmayr has also said that safeguards could be written into the Brexit deal by copying and pasting the unofficial letters of assurance from both Jean Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk into the text of the deal, and he appears to be supported by Angela Merkel, who is busy telling the EU Commission to pull its finger out.
All in all, a mixed bag of messages to the UK. Or maybe Herr Selmayr has just remembered that there's a payment of £39 billion to be considered. Not that I have my tongue in my cheek, you understand.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:03 pm

Poodle wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:08 pm
Then again ...
The Daily Express is reporting that European Commission secretary general Martin Selmayr has also said that safeguards could be written into the Brexit deal by copying and pasting the unofficial letters of assurance from both Jean Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk into the text of the deal, and he appears to be supported by Angela Merkel, who is busy telling the EU Commission to pull its finger out.
All in all, a mixed bag of messages to the UK. Or maybe Herr Selmayr has just remembered that there's a payment of £39 billion to be considered. Not that I have my tongue in my cheek, you understand.
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you! To imagine that a mere £39B in continuing EU dues would influence an EU secretary general.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:46 am

While every bureaucrat will feather his nest, don't "most" or maybe at least "a lot" of those dues go to substituted social service/societal programs? What caught my attention a few years back was some program the EU had in training Irish Locals for new jobs when the old jobs went away. Something that ordinarily the Nation State would do or not do. Alternatively........yep.......got to fund the Greek Holiday/Retirement scheme to keep them in the Union too.

As in EVERY confederated State: some areas pay for the union, while others do their best to suck it dry.

The wilful blindness is amazing. I heard lots of back and forth about how those saved dues could be so much better spent..........but will they? Lost in the swamp??

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 am

What Frau Merkel actually said ...
"... There are definitely options for preserving the integrity of the single market even when Northern Ireland isn’t part of it because it is part of Britain while at the same time meeting the desire to have, if possible, no border controls. To solve this point you have to be creative and listen to each other, and such discussions can and must be conducted. We can still use the time to perhaps reach an agreement if everyone shows good will.”

That's how to do it, Angela (even though it's geographically incorrect). No threats, no blackmail, simply a statement from a basis of political reality. And it's directly contradictory to the stance of the Commisson. Even though Angela is about to leave her position, she still holds the 'seniority' advantage when it comes to guiding EU policy, and the Commission is merely the Civil Service which is supposed to do what it's told. That, I suppose, is the difference between a politician and a bureaucrat.

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 am

The EU reminds me of an experience the son of one of my friends experienced. He had an idea to rent a house and then allow a number of other people (some friends and some strangers) to move in and pay their share of expenses. Within 3 months, the place was a mess, there was a break-in and robbery, and most people didn't pay their share of expenses, leaving the son with over $5000 owing the landlord. A failed microcosmic example of the EU.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:03 am

You gotta get that damage deposit.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Feb 05, 2019 9:07 am

First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon addressed some creeps today on tv...........she won't be meeting with Trump. She as much said Scotland would hold another referendum re membership in the UK. She also greatly urged an extension so that UK could exit with the least damage.....and I could tell in her eyes that also meant so that Scotland could set up the REF with the least damage to Scotland as well. Nice fit?

REFS are kinda like elections. They have consequences. Not just good things happen.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:44 am

Poodle wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:44 am
What Frau Merkel actually said ...
"... There are definitely options for preserving the integrity of the single market even when Northern Ireland isn’t part of it because it is part of Britain while at the same time meeting the desire to have, if possible, no border controls. To solve this point you have to be creative and listen to each other, and such discussions can and must be conducted. We can still use the time to perhaps reach an agreement if everyone shows good will.”
While I applaud her generous sentiments, I will say her description of a solution is....well...a bit vague.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:48 am

landrew wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:10 am
The EU reminds me of an experience the son of one of my friends experienced. He had an idea to rent a house and then allow a number of other people (some friends and some strangers) to move in and pay their share of expenses. Within 3 months, the place was a mess, there was a break-in and robbery, and most people didn't pay their share of expenses, leaving the son with over $5000 owing the landlord. A failed microcosmic example of the EU.
Your friend's son was a wide-eyed optimist about human perfidy. I had a much milder case of this back in 1988, when I rented my house for a year to go on sabbatical in Russia. The tenants were five college students, and I stupidly left the electricity connected in my name, thinking they would of course pay the bill since they needed electricity. And they did....all but the last two bills, since they knew that by the time the electricity was cut off, they'd be gone. Their damage deposit didn't cover the physical damage they did to the place, so I was just stuck for two months of electricity. Could have been worse though. I had to surreptitiously dispose of a parking meter full of coins that they had ripped out from somewhere and stored in the basement.

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:06 pm

I trust you kept the coins?

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:27 pm

At last the truth is is out ...
A report delivered by the Daily Express ... "Meanwhile a high-ranking German politician has said a hard border between Northern Ireland and the Republic will be needed in the event of a no-deal Brexit to keep chlorinated chicken out of the EU - ignoring the fact that it is not allowed in the UK either."
So it's all YOUR fault, USA! Hang your heads in shame!
But it's nice to know that Germany, as well as the UK, has its fair share of dickheads in politics.

(Note for USA readers ... Yes, I know that there's little to no health risk in treating chicken carcasses by chlorination. But please don't tell the EU, as a source of humour may dry up).

Poodle
True Skeptic

Post by Poodle » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:14 pm

Well, well. If the EU Commission can't get its way with the UK, who's next to be kicked where it hurts? Here's a new headline from the Daily Express (again - they seem to be stealing the march on other papers at the moment) ...

"IRELAND BREXIT ULTIMATUM: EU to enforce hard border or KICK DUBLIN OUT of single market"
https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/10828 ... heresa-May

Once again, the 'if true' caveat needs to be applied. This is completely and utterly ridiculous. To get their own intransigent way with the UK, they're ready to throw another EU member state into the dustbin? Civil services and Parliaments all around the world are notoriously thick-headed, but this one really takes the biscuit.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm

They'd be better off kicking out Greece. They ain't ever gonna collect that debt, so they might as well cut their losses.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:33 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:20 pm
They'd be better off kicking out Greece. They ain't ever gonna collect that debt, so they might as well cut their losses.
It's called "redistribution" of wealth.
Like the U2 song says, "you gotta give it away."
Left or Right, pick a tribe and fight for it or step out of the way.
Thanks, but I'll stay out of the way for now.