It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
landrew
Has No Life

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by landrew » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm
I don't understand this complaint. Are you upset that Matthew described the process in Commonwealth countries correctly?
I didn't give Matts comment much of a look until your comment. WOW!!!!!! I thought "The Commonwealth" was old History from 100 years ago?.....Like ending in bits and pieces as when Ghandi got UK kicked out of India??? ....but that is "all wrong." Ha, ha.....what a rube I am.

It still doesn't "fit" with what I see "apparently" going on in world news. I've NEVER HEARD of Canadas or Indias Governor General doing "anything" and the Monarch just promising to attend some function and sending her kiddies instead? A "Ceremonial Monarch" only, instead of Movie Stars and Tourist Guides?

"Something".......doesn't add up, like being overstated or something?? Like all those supposed functions actually being performed by the Prime Minister of the listed countries?? Something......

Everything I (don't) know about the Commonwealth, is right here: https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/council/e ... ing-rights . Naaaa....I'm not going to study it. Too many other projects occupying my time..............
The Commonwealth was formed from the remnants of the British Empire in 1931, by which time the Americans had already taken over the dominant position in the world. Since then, the Commonwealth has lost relevance every year to where it's barely being mentioned anymore. The Brits have a greater affinity to the USA than they do to Canada.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:49 pm

Well, Pelosi's VJ Day followed close upon the heels of VE Day. Trump of course is still ranting about border security, spewing out all kinds of spurious statistics, but the clear content is: He has folded, caved, capitulated, surrendered..... He still snarls about declaring an emergency in three weeks if he doesn't get what he wants, but that's just bluster, I think. If he could do that and get away with it, he'd be doing it right now. Nothing is more painful to him than losing, and he has now lost twice in one week, and to a WOMAN, no less.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:48 pm

Now if CNN could stake out the White House... :D

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:34 pm

Austin Harper wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm
Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am
In Commonwealth countries, it is illegal to have two matters covered by the same parliamentary bill. Each matter must stand on its own. Secondly, if a Commonwealth government "blocks supply" (government funding) that government falls and a new election is called by the governor general or monarch's representative.
Your fluency in diplo-speak and legalese seems unbounded.
I don't understand this complaint. Are you upset that Matthew described the process in Commonwealth countries correctly?
Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm
What is it called when someone other than the democratically-elected president of a country is recognized as its leader?
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/ ... 03407.html
The dispute hinges on whether or not he was democratically elected.
My complaint is that "Mr. Ellard" is an expert on spouting minutiae and Doublespeak...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doublespeak

...while ignoring the major implications of political events beginning with the overthrow of the only democratically-elected government in a Mid-Eastern Muslim country with Operation Ajax in 1953 and very recent events like aiding the overthrow of the democratically-elected parliament of Egypt, attempting to overthrow of the democratically-elected government of Erdogan in Turkey, and now attempting to overthrow the democratically-elected government of Venezuela.

"Ellard," other neoconservative warmongers, and apparently you, advocate overthrowing democracies while proclaiming to be in favor of democracy!

You and other so-called skeptics buy into this Doublespeak without, it would seem, experiencing any cognitive dissonance!

The hypocrisy of this mindset would be hilarious if it weren't so staggeringly pervasive.
Last edited by Tom Palven on Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:43 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:34 pm
... The hypocrisy of this mindset would be hillaryious if it weren't so staggeringly pervasive.
Were you suggesting that Trump should be deposed and Hillary take his place? :roll:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 am

George Galloway of the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity describes "a brazen cynical act of gangsterism" underway against Venezuela.
www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featu ... caribbean/
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:34 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 am
George Galloway of the Ron Paul Institute for Peace and Prosperity describes "a brazen cynical act of gangsterism" underway against Venezuela.
www.ronpaulinstitute.org/archives/featu ... caribbean/
Thanks for that link. I've been aghast that the US has decided whom to back in a dispute that is internal to Venezuela and nobody else's goddamned business. But I gather the US isn't alone in this. Canada and a few other countries are involved as well.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:20 am

landrew wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:35 pm
...The Brits have a greater affinity to the USA than they do to Canada.
Yeah, that really comes across when you watch the British comedy shows on youtube. Brits have a love/hate relationship with the US, and an indifference/mockery relationship with Canada. The rare occasions when you hear a Brit complementing anything Canadian in one of those youtube videos, it's probably something maple flavoured. :lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:42 am

Gord wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:20 am
landrew wrote:
Yeah, that really comes across when you watch the British comedy shows on youtube. Brits have a love/hate relationship with the US,...
Maybe Brits resent the fact that their government acts like a US puppet as with Tony Blair's support of George Bush, and are not proud of being in lockstep with what Eric Margolis describes below:
https://www.lewrockwell.com/2019/01/eri ... l-war-now/

British troops in Afghanistan:
https://www.forces.net/newsoperations/a ... fghanistan

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:38 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:42 am
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:
Yeah, that really comes across when you watch the British comedy shows on youtube. Brits have a love/hate relationship with the US,...
Maybe Brits resent the fact that their government acts like a US puppet as with Tony Blair's support of George Bush, and are not proud of being in lockstep with what Eric Margolis describes below:

Mostly what they joke about is how arrogant Americans are, how nasty their invasive culture seems, and how fat they are. But they also tend to point out that these are all stereotypes, and there are plenty of counterexamples that they really like (either a nice person, an interesting TV show, or a type of food they enjoy).
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:16 pm

As scrmbldggs noted on another thread, one can understand why the FBI agents who arrested Roger Stone were heavily armed.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:40 pm

From this:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/201 ... leaks.html

it's pretty obvious that both Don Jr. and Kushner are on Mueller's list of targets.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm

Gord wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:38 am
Tom Palven wrote:
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:

Mostly what they joke about is how arrogant Americans are, how nasty their invasive culture seems, and how fat they are. But they also tend to point out that these are all stereotypes, and there are plenty of counterexamples that they really like (either a nice person, an interesting TV show, or a type of food they enjoy).
I don't know if the Brits have a greater affinity for either the USA or Canada, and I wouldn't know how to go about measuring it. As to Tony Blair's 'support' of GW Bush, my memory tells me that it was Blair doing the all the pushing.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:59 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:16 pm
As scrmbldggs noted on another thread, one can understand why the FBI agents who arrested Roger Stone were heavily armed.
Omiglob he threatened a dog.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/01/roger-st ... o-dog.html
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:01 pm

Poodle wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:06 pm
Gord wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:38 am
Tom Palven wrote:
Gord wrote:
landrew wrote:

I don't know if the Brits have a greater affinity for either the USA or Canada, and I wouldn't know how to go about measuring it. As to Tony Blair's 'support' of GW Bush, my memory tells me that it was Blair doing the all the pushing.
I'm just going by the jokes Brits are making on TV shows that make it onto YouTube.

Y'know. Basic research type stuff. :P
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:03 pm

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/01/ ... means.html
Trump Caved So Hard People Are Searching What ‘Caving’ Means

...On Friday, reporters used the word “cave” to describe Trump’s actions in over a dozen headlines, so often that Merriam-Webster reports a 1500% increase in searches for the word – presumably, for its function as a verb....
:laff:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:44 pm

Gord wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:59 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:16 pm
Omiglob he threatened a dog.

https://www.thecut.com/2019/01/roger-st ... o-dog.html
Yes, and that's very odd:
In an interview with The [Washington] Post last year about experimentation on dogs in federal research labs, a practice he has publicly opposed, Stone said he and his wife were "dog lovers and cat lovers." They owned three cats and two Yorkshire terriers - the latest of nine Yorkies they had owned over the years, he said. They'd also at one point taken in a Wheaten terrier they found injured on a roadside, he said; its leg was later amputated.

"We often refer to our place as Stone's Animal Farm," said Stone, whose coexistence with dogs goes back at least three decades: At age 33, he had two Dachshunds, according to a 1986 Post article.
But that's why the Post shouldn't send out reporters who are hearing-impaired. I'm sure Stone said he had two Datsuns at the age of 33. He's a big fan of Japanese cars.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:24 pm

Plus... loving dogs and cats can mean as meat... ;)

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:55 am

Tom Palven wrote:My complaint is that "Mr. Ellard" is an expert on spouting minutiae and Doublespeak...
No Tom. you have been spamming Fox News talk points on the forum since Trump got in.
Tom Palven wrote: "Ellard," other neoconservative warmongers, and apparently you, advocate overthrowing democracies while proclaiming to be in favor of democracy!
Post one example of me doing that Tom Palven. You can't can you? :lol: :lol:

However I can link to all your Moscow talk-point posts claiming the "USA is the Evil Empire", "Don't trust the CIA or FBI"......."The Deep State is out to get democratically elected Trump"....... :lol: :lol:

Would anyone like to read Tom Palven's posts supporting ISIS and Taliban? :lol: :lol:

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:21 pm

almost funny:
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm

Top .1% have as much wealth as the bottom 90%. Thats bad for "society"/"economy"/and the people.

And thats funny because?..............................

A tax on the AlreadyTooRich seems eminently REQUIRED. And thats funny because?........................?????
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:52 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Sat Jan 26, 2019 12:11 am

So you are OK with Russia using Roger Stone and Assange to influence the USA elections but not OK with the USA and John Bolton influencing the Venezuelan election outcome?

Explain your logic in depth, without quoting Russia Today. .
:lol:

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:59 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:55 am
Would anyone like to read Tom Palven's posts supporting ISIS and Taliban? :lol: :lol:
Yes, I'd like a link to my support of ISIS.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Matthew Ellard » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:12 am

Tom Palven wrote: Yes, I'd like a link to my support of ISIS.
Here is Tom Palven demanding the withdrawal of NATO ( specifically the USA) from targeting ISIS and Taliban in Afghanistan and Syria.
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=15283&p=692896&hilit=Syria#p692776
viewtopic.php?f=72&t=15283&p=692758&hilit=Syria#p692504
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=29530&p=688660&hilit=Syria#p688660

There are many many posts.

Tom Palven calls the democratically elected government of Afghanistan a "Vichy. fourth Reich occupation government" because it is fighting Taliban and ISIS, with NATO assistance. Tom calls Pakistan's controlled Taliban.....the "homeboys" :lol:

////////////////
Matthew Ellard wrote:Do you still claim the democratically elected Afghan government is "Vichy" Do you still claim Taliban are the "good guy homeboys"?
Tom Palven wrote:Yes.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=29623&p=689576&hil ... an#p689576

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:50 am

Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:22 pm
And thats funny because?..............................
The 1st 4-1/2 minits are almost funny. I shoud hav spesified that.
Gubmint for us
http://www.7532020.com
not the rich.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm

A quiz for Tuesday morning: What's the easiest job in the world? The answer is reported by the Washington Post:
Spoiler:
At the same time, new reporting indicates that Trump’s media and political allies are working overtime to erect a protective bubble around Trump, one designed to prevent him from grasping the most basic political realities of the moment.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:08 pm

Just a couple of extra nails in the coffin of Trump's political career:

"I'm going to declare an emergency---but there's certainly no hurry about it."

and perhaps some wishful thinking on my part.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:23 pm

What? An emergency which doesn't have a time factor urgency that comes before the mitigation can be implemented? He can wait on declaring it to be an emergency? That doesn't sound like an emergency to me.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:06 pm
A quiz for Tuesday morning: What's the easiest job in the world? The answer is reported by the Washington Post:
Spoiler:
At the same time, new reporting indicates that Trump’s media and political allies are working overtime to erect a protective bubble around Trump, one designed to prevent him from grasping the most basic political realities of the moment.
.........you hare reporting the hardest job. I was even thinking the answer was: "Criticizing Trump" so the hardest job is protecting him from such criticism? Working overtime........is not easy.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:04 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:23 pm
What? An emergency which doesn't have a time factor urgency that comes before the mitigation can be implemented? He can wait on declaring it to be an emergency? That doesn't sound like an emergency to me.
Well, the US currently has 31 active national emergencies. Here they are in chronological order of declaration:

1. Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)
2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)
3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (Jan. 23, 1995)
4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (Mar. 15, 1995)
5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Oct. 21, 1995)
6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (Mar. 1, 1996)
7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (Nov. 3, 1997)
8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Jun. 26, 2001)
9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (Aug. 17, 2001)
10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (Sept. 14, 2001)
11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (Sept. 23, 2001)
12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (Mar. 6, 2003)
13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)
14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)
15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (Jun. 16, 2006)
16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Oct. 27, 2006)
17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (Aug. 1, 2007)
18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (Jun. 26, 2008)
19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (Apr. 12, 2010)
20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (Feb. 25, 2011)
21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Jul. 25, 2011)
22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)
23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (Mar. 6, 2014)
24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (Apr. 3, 2014)
25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)
26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (Mar. 9, 2015)
27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (Apr. 1, 2015)
28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (Nov. 23, 2015)
29. The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption (Dec 20, 2017)
30. The National Emergency With Respect to Imposing Certain Sanctions in the Event of Foreign Interference in a United States Election (Sept 12, 2018)
31. The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua (Nov 27, 2018)

They have to be renewed yearly. That means every president who has held office has renewed the ones on this list that were declared by previous presidents -- even Trump. And that includes 11 of the national emergencies that were declared by Obama! (Two more were declared by Obama, but they ended during his own presidency and weren't ended by Trump.) (Hmm, I think I've got those numbers right, but one site attributes 13 to Obama and another site only attributes 12 to him. :? )
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:22 pm

Define Emergency (In Politics). Sounds like the same definition as "High Crimes and Misdemeanors" or whatever the relevant politician wants it to mean?

Re the list.......I suppose the import is the President can move funds around without Congress having to get its hands dirty with their voters back home? And the salient point being Congress could stop the Emergency Claim any time they wanted to, but they don't.

So...............follow the money, if you can even find it. Too many "Black Holes" funded by Congress for such programs to take place. Its not a good process, regardless of the aims, goals, progress.

.....................if we could only get back to actually following our Constitution?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:54 pm

Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

.........you hare reporting the hardest job. I was even thinking the answer was: "Criticizing Trump" so the hardest job is protecting him from such criticism? Working overtime........is not easy.
Protecting Trump from criticism is the simplest thing in the world. He just doesn't take it in at all. NOTHING penetrates his so-called mind except the glory of Donald Trump.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:59 pm

Gord wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:04 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:23 pm
Well, the US currently has 31 active national emergencies. Here they are in chronological order of declaration:

1. Blocking Iranian Government Property (Nov. 14, 1979)
2. Proliferation of Weapons of Mass Destruction (Nov. 14, 1994)
3. Prohibiting Transactions with Terrorists Who Threaten to Disrupt the Middle East Peace Process (Jan. 23, 1995)
4. Prohibiting Certain Transactions with Respect to the Development of Iranian Petroleum Resources (Mar. 15, 1995)
5. Blocking Assets and Prohibiting Transactions with Significant Narcotics Traffickers (Oct. 21, 1995)
6. Regulations of the Anchorage and Movement of Vessels with Respect to Cuba (Mar. 1, 1996)
7. Blocking Sudanese Government Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Sudan (Nov. 3, 1997)
8. Blocking Property of Persons Who Threaten International Stabilization Efforts in the Western Balkans (Jun. 26, 2001)
9. Continuation of Export Control Regulations (Aug. 17, 2001)
10. Declaration of National Emergency by Reason of Certain Terrorist Attacks (Sept. 14, 2001)
11. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Transactions with Persons who Commit, Threaten to Commit, or Support Terrorism (Sept. 23, 2001)
12. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Zimbabwe (Mar. 6, 2003)
13. Protecting the Development Fund for Iraq and Certain Other Property in Which Iraq has an Interest (May 22, 2003)
14. Blocking Property of Certain Persons and Prohibiting the Export of Certain Goods to Syria (May 11, 2004)
15. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Undermining Democratic Processes or Institutions in Belarus (Jun. 16, 2006)
16. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (Oct. 27, 2006)
17. Blocking Property of Persons Undermining the Sovereignty of Lebanon or Its Democratic Processes and Institutions (Aug. 1, 2007)
18. Continuing Certain Restrictions with Respect to North Korea and North Korean Nationals (Jun. 26, 2008)
19. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in Somalia (Apr. 12, 2010)
20. Blocking Property and Prohibiting Certain Transactions Related to Libya (Feb. 25, 2011)
21. Blocking Property of Transnational Criminal Organizations (Jul. 25, 2011)
22. Blocking Property of Persons Threatening the Peace, Security, or Stability of Yemen (May 16, 2012)
23. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Ukraine (Mar. 6, 2014)
24. Blocking Property of Certain Persons With Respect to South Sudan (Apr. 3, 2014)
25. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Conflict in the Central African Republic (May 12, 2014)
26. Blocking Property and Suspending Entry of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Venezuela (Mar. 9, 2015)
27. Blocking the Property of Certain Persons Engaging in Significant Malicious Cyber-Enabled Activities (Apr. 1, 2015)
28. Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Burundi (Nov. 23, 2015)
29. The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking the Property of Persons Involved in Serious Human Rights Abuse or Corruption (Dec 20, 2017)
30. The National Emergency With Respect to Imposing Certain Sanctions in the Event of Foreign Interference in a United States Election (Sept 12, 2018)
31. The National Emergency With Respect to Blocking Property of Certain Persons Contributing to the Situation in Nicaragua (Nov 27, 2018)

They have to be renewed yearly. That means every president who has held office has renewed the ones on this list that were declared by previous presidents -- even Trump. And that includes 11 of the national emergencies that were declared by Obama! (Two more were declared by Obama, but they ended during his own presidency and weren't ended by Trump.) (Hmm, I think I've got those numbers right, but one site attributes 13 to Obama and another site only attributes 12 to him. :? )
Wow... Trump renewed one that blocked himself? erm... 21?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:35 pm

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 am

Normandy Fencing... I had to look that one up. Go for it. It will help the local community - those scrap metal collectors will make a few bucks off of it. ;)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:41 am

TJrandom wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:40 am
Normandy Fencing... I had to look that one up. Go for it. It will help the local community - those scrap metal collectors will make a few bucks off of it. ;)
Guess I'd better look it up. It's not the same thing as the Maginot Line, is it? That's another model Trump would be considering, if he knew any history.

(Later.) Ah, I looked it up. So it's Pelosi's idea, and an even bigger waste of money than Trump's Wall. Well, we don't elect these people because of their brilliance.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:00 pm

Until we have a Resident Evil Style laser grid as a border fence, I question the deterrent effect.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 pm

Even without a deal, the money or agreement, he claims large portion of Trump's Wall are already being built and a lot of contracts have been given out.

I seriously doubt the first claim, but somehow don't doubt that he'd hand out the latter like candy to some...um...special friends...
Lard, save me from your followers.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:42 pm

Trump wouldn't talk about a finished wall if he still had any hope of getting any funding for one.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:56 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:36 pm
Even without a deal, the money or agreement, he claims large portion of Trump's Wall are already being built and a lot of contracts have been given out.
There was 1.7 billion dollars appropriated for it. I think that part is true.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843