It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:03 pm

I don't see Trump being able to pull off being re-elected:
-as an indirect backlash against his Presidency, people have turned against his mouthpieces like Alex Jones, Bill O'Reilly, What's-his-stupid-face I keep forgetting, etc., none of which will be able to cheer for him in 2020.
All he got left is Limbaugh, Coulter and Hannity, two of which are not going to support him unless he gets the Wall.
-with the House gone, he won't be able to buy his re-election with more taxcuts and handouts via bigger deficits
- by 2020, the coming recession, accelerated by the Shutdown, will have arrive in most people's homes to some degree or another; and the opposition never gets the blame for a bad economy
- the Mueller report will have been released, which will serve as the foundation for many more investigations into the Trump-Russia connection
- in 2020, we WILL know about Trump's tax returns, one way or another

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:55 pm

Here’s why I think it’s possible:

The South is a Republican stronghold. It’s possible that some states like Florida flip but it isn’t something to count on. In addition to that a lot of Western states are as well (Wyoming, Nebraska, etc.). Now, that’s not a lot of electoral votes but combined with Southern states it adds up. It’s possible that Arizona flips but it’s not something to count on. Texas with its votes are solidly Republican. California counterbalances that, so does New York.

That leaves the bloc of states that used to be the “Blue Wall,” with the most important ones being Pennsylvania and Ohio. You need the urban and suburban votes to cancel out the rural votes that go Republican. It didn’t happen in 2016.

Now, certain things broke Trump’s way in 2016. Clinton isn’t particularly liked by anybody. That includes me and I voted for her. A lot of people didn’t vote or voted third party and that killed any chance of urban and suburban votes canceling the rural votes. I think everyone learned a valuable lesson in all this and will get out to vote and will not waste them. The blue wave that took back Congress showed that.

The depressing part is that Trump’s popularity remains high among Republicans. They will vote for him no matter what.

So right now I give him decent odds. Remember, no one thought he would win in 2016. I’m not going to make that mistake. If he wins again then we are all truly screwed unless the Senate flips and Congress remains in the hands of the Democrats.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:41 pm

I am changing my opinion on the wall. I now think that Pelosi should give him enough $ to build a small portion of it as a test. Then have the military conduct that test. I am thinking 500lb bombs and above... bunker busters too. Surely the military could use a new bombing range? Please do give fair warnings so that not too many unintended victims are killed. After all, Mar-a-Lago does have low paid groundskeepers in addition to high income visitors and we wouldn't want them to be hit from flying wall bits. :mrgreen:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:14 am

*sigh*

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:05 am

Gord wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:14 am
*sigh*

Yes. That would be me, I’m a nefarious agent of the Deep State.
:evil:
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:39 am

Bummer - now we are going to need to contend with Tom... and gorgeous...

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 am

Gord wrote:
*sigh*

Amazing that he can talk at such length while hanging from his heels....

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm

TJrandom wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 am
Gord wrote:
*sigh'
It's a topsy-turvy world.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:16 pm

The cost of the government shutdown has now exceeded the cost of Trump's wall:
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/government ... rder-wall/
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:26 pm

...and that's only the financial damage...
Lard, save me from your followers.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm

You know, for the life of me I don't understand what "lost productivity" means. On the face of it........seems to me "the economy" should be SAVING the cost of the paychecks not paid out. Is that even an offset?.......or is it just negatives all the way down.

anyone brave enough to offer an explanation that would make sense to a high schooler?
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:09 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:58 pm
You know, for the life of me I don't understand what "lost productivity" means. On the face of it........seems to me "the economy" should be SAVING the cost of the paychecks not paid out. Is that even an offset?.......or is it just negatives all the way down.

anyone brave enough to offer an explanation that would make sense to a high schooler?
First of all, the back-pay will be paid out, so no savings there. Trump and Congress signed that bill.
Secondly, where the losses count up is not a simple answer. Here is an article that touches on an explanation:
https://www.politifact.com/truth-o-mete ... down-cost/
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:11 pm

A lot of the private economy can't proceed without some input from some government agency: grants might not get paid out, Licenses aren't renewed, labels for wine and beer can't be printed, tax rebates aren't granted ...
Assuming the Shutdown ends, all these things can be done, but unless we hire way more state workers, we will never catch up - the government-dependent economy will have done only 11/12th of the work it does in a normal year (assuming the shutdown ends soon).

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:16 pm

Well, back pay is given to about half of those closed down....ie not paid to contractors, only those with actual fed jobs. On that point....seems to me that the money would have been paid anyway ....so how is paying it a "loss."? If overtime is paid to catch up when work resumes, THAT would be an "added" cost and I don't think there is too much of that going on.

I still don't get it. My gut says its all a "theoretical argument" along the lines of "If you include xyz....then abc." but paying back wages doesn't feel like a loss to me. I'm just that simple minded.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:19 pm

no, it's not the back-pay.
But there are oil companies that couldn't drill because they couldn't get a necessary stamp on the right piece of paper at the right time - an issue that Trump has fixed via Executive Order now.
But regardless of how quickly the government opens, the rig can't pump more oil to make up for the lost month.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:23 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:11 pm

Assuming the Shutdown ends, all these things can be done, but unless we hire way more state workers, we will never catch up - the government-dependent economy will have done only 11/12th of the work it does in a normal year (assuming the shutdown ends soon).
Well, I assume/guess/pull out of my a.. that we DO mostly catch up.............and if we don't, those "costs" are actually saved? Really, even a weaker case than back wages paid? Grants not funded. That saves money..........CONTRA: I understand how "the economy" suffers from lack of grants........the government/taxpayers "save"........so.....in gross terms, ought to be some kind of offset approaching "neutral?"

but it looks like "the cost" is every "negative" think they can throw into a pile with ZERO recognition of any offsets. Ha, ha.....with all those gubment employees with a nest egg spending it on vacations as I've heard from Faux Spews that they do........seems like the economy should get a boost????

................no?????..................... (Yes...liars figure....)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:25 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:19 pm
But there are oil companies that couldn't drill because they couldn't get a necessary stamp on the right piece of paper at the right time - an issue that Trump has fixed via Executive Order now.
But regardless of how quickly the government opens, the rig can't pump more oil to make up for the lost month.
OK...that is a good example I do understand. Heh, heh.....keep the gubment shut down until we meet the CO2 emission standards of the Paris Accord?????? A good sneaky plan....................

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:37 pm

Another thing: non-essential government workers might not get any back-payment: only those who had to go to work without pay will get their money for certain, but it is far from clear that those told to stay at home will.

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:36 pm

Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:25 pm
ElectricMonk wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:19 pm
OK...that is a good example I do understand. Heh, heh.....keep the gubment shut down until we meet the CO2 emission standards of the Paris Accord?????? A good sneaky plan....................
Of course that will be offset by all the extra carbon that will be emitted after the shutdown by burning the midnight oil.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:24 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 3:46 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:27 am
Gord wrote:
*sigh'
It's a topsy-turvy world.
Indeed... I held my laptop upside down to make sense of it. :?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:42 pm

Things move fast. At noon today, Trump sent Pelosi a notice that he would be arriving on January 29 to give the SOTU address. Nancy immediately fired back that he would NOT be allowed to do that as long as the government is shut down. Who's got the bigger balls, Donny boy? I'm loving this. Trump, if we are lucky, will die of a stroke of apoplexy. I sincerely hope he does.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am

I can see Trump showing up at the doors of Congress.

........................I don't really see Nancy........baring his continued entrance. I could see her turning off the mike, and the lights. but to "physically prevent?" That would be a set of balls on any of the Capitol Police..........as I think the Sergeant at Arms is about 90 years old. She wouldn't do that to him would she??????

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:29 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:41 am

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:12 am
I can see Trump showing up at the doors of Congress.

........................I don't really see Nancy........baring his continued entrance. I could see her turning off the mike, and the lights. but to "physically prevent?" That would be a set of balls on any of the Capitol Police..........as I think the Sergeant at Arms is about 90 years old. She wouldn't do that to him would she??????
Trump will NOT show up there. The law is crystal clear, and even his sycophantic inner circle knows that such a blatant violation of the Constitution would meet with devastating reprisals from all law enforcement and even his own tame Supreme Court. No matter how much he'd like to do it, he can't, and his handlers won't let him do it.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:24 am

Gord wrote:
Sun May 20, 2018 2:31 am
Yanny or laurel?

This website has a tool that's supposed to let you adjust the sounds until you hear the word you didn't hear to begin with. If you hear "Laurel" you move it to the right, if you hear "Yanny" you move it to the left.

Except I can't get it to work, all I ever hear is "Laurel". :(
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am

Well, Nancy Pelosi got an unconditional surrender on SOTU. That's VE Day for her. Now, for VJ Day she needs Trump to agree to negotiate over the wall after the government opens. That may require the political equivalent of the Hiroshima Bomb.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Jan 24, 2019 3:23 pm

#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am
Well, Nancy Pelosi got an unconditional surrender on SOTU. That's VE Day for her. Now, for VJ Day she needs Trump to agree to negotiate over the wall after the government opens. That may require the political equivalent of the Hiroshima Bomb.
That's overstating things a bit.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:00 pm

landrew wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:50 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:31 am
That's overstating things a bit.
Yup. It's called hyperbole (literally "overthrowing" or "throwing too far", in short, exaggerating). But it was an unconditional surrender on SOTU, and must have tied ol' Donny in knots. I can imagine the teeth-gritting, fist-clenching effort he had to put into that tweet. I'm surprised his fingers would even lift to type it out.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jan 24, 2019 8:51 pm

He gave the SOTU via a tweet? :? :mrgreen:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am

You know, for the life of me I don't understand what "lost productivity" means. On the face of it........seems to me "the economy" should be SAVING the cost of the paychecks not paid out. Is that even an offset?.......or is it just negatives all the way down. anyone brave enough to offer an explanation that would make sense to a high schooler?
The salaried workers get paid retrospectively.

The work that was performed by contractors, still needs to take place, and as contractors are leaving the market due to the shutdown, the remaining contractors can increase price.

In Commonwealth countries, it is illegal to have two matters covered by the same parliamentary bill. Each matter must stand on its own. Secondly, if a Commonwealth government "blocks supply" (government funding) that government falls and a new election is called by the governor general or monarch's representative. This is to stop this sort of nonsense taking place.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:42 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:27 am
:|

Did you mean retroactively?
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:58 am

Some workers might depend on overtime pay that they certainly won't get back.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Mueller casts the first Stone

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 am

http://time.com/5512984/roger-stone-arrested-mueller/

Trump Associate Roger Stone Arrested on Obstruction Charge in Mueller Investigation

looks like Mueller is putting Roger's loyalty to Trump to the test.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:16 pm

I like the title of your post! This is about the only glimmer of good news I see at the moment. I'm gravely concerned about Trump's planned grab for emergency power. Whether we can beat back that threat is very doubtful. But we have to try.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:29 pm

Seen the video of the arrest?

looks like the FBI expected Stone to make a last stand involving AP rounds and grenade launchers.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 6K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
In Commonwealth countries, it is illegal to have two matters covered by the same parliamentary bill. Each matter must stand on its own. Secondly, if a Commonwealth government "blocks supply" (government funding) that government falls and a new election is called by the governor general or monarch's representative.

Your fluency in diplo-speak and legalese seems unbounded.

What is it called when someone other than the democratically-elected president of a country is recognized as its leader?
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/ ... 03407.html
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire
I may not agree with the what you say, but I will defend your right to say it. --Voltaire
Mankind will not be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest. --Denis Diderot
I haven't abandoned my vices. My vices have abandoned me. --Denis Diderot

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
You know, for the life of me I don't understand what "lost productivity" means. On the face of it........seems to me "the economy" should be SAVING the cost of the paychecks not paid out. Is that even an offset?.......or is it just negatives all the way down. anyone brave enough to offer an explanation that would make sense to a high schooler?

The work that was performed by contractors, still needs to take place, and as contractors are leaving the market due to the shutdown, the remaining contractors can increase price.

In Commonwealth countries, it is illegal to have two matters covered by the same parliamentary bill. Each matter must stand on its own. Secondly, if a Commonwealth government "blocks supply" (government funding) that government falls and a new election is called by the governor general or monarch's representative. This is to stop this sort of nonsense taking place.
thanks Matt.

retrospectively: In a manner contemplative of past events /// Works for me to describe retroactive pay........but doesn't explain how "productivity" was lost............well........ok........for instance: permits not granted so oil wells not opened up or a new liquor is not put into the marketplace. I can see "some" lost productivity there: but NOT BASED on the paychecks not issued but rather the "work" not done that would not be caught up on once the shut down is over. I assume very much of it is. IOW: the lost of productivity is more hype than reality, like all the horror stories told BEFORE even the first paycheck was not received. As to the oil wells and liquor....seems again that much of that "loss" would be picked up by other providers? I can accept not all of it so "some" productivity is lost....just not all the hype that is out there.

For the few contractors that go out of business........the remaining contractor still have to compete for the contracts based on quality and price.....and that will not take place for months later. Sounds too contrived to me.

Two matters covered by the same parliamentary bill........doesn't make sense to me, but unless you got something snappy: no need for a second try.

My "Recap" (ref to English Multi-topic) then I I understand and accept there is "some" loss of productivity: just no where near what is claimed, nor based on any gross contribution of wages not paid in 4-5-6 weeks. Its not lies vs truth but what truth is in all the lies?

Austin Harper
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Rock Chalk Astrohawk

Post by Austin Harper » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
In Commonwealth countries, it is illegal to have two matters covered by the same parliamentary bill. Each matter must stand on its own. Secondly, if a Commonwealth government "blocks supply" (government funding) that government falls and a new election is called by the governor general or monarch's representative.
Your fluency in diplo-speak and legalese seems unbounded.
I don't understand this complaint. Are you upset that Matthew described the process in Commonwealth countries correctly?
Tom Palven wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:45 pm
What is it called when someone other than the democratically-elected president of a country is recognized as its leader?
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2019/01/ ... 03407.html
The dispute hinges on whether or not he was democratically elected.
Dum ratio nos ducet, valebimus et multa bene geremus.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:27 pm

I don't understand this complaint. Are you upset that Matthew described the process in Commonwealth countries correctly?
I didn't give Matts comment much of a look until your comment. WOW!!!!!! I thought "The Commonwealth" was old History from 100 years ago?.....Like ending in bits and pieces as when Ghandi got UK kicked out of India??? ....but that is "all wrong." Ha, ha.....what a rube I am.

It still doesn't "fit" with what I see "apparently" going on in world news. I've NEVER HEARD of Canadas or Indias Governor General doing "anything" and the Monarch just promising to attend some function and sending her kiddies instead? A "Ceremonial Monarch" only, instead of Movie Stars and Tourist Guides?

"Something".......doesn't add up, like being overstated or something?? Like all those supposed functions actually being performed by the Prime Minister of the listed countries?? Something......

Everything I (don't) know about the Commonwealth, is right here: https://www.tendringdc.gov.uk/council/e ... ing-rights . Naaaa....I'm not going to study it. Too many other projects occupying my time..............