Trump will win!

Discussions
User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:25 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:21 pm
Ah, Kellyanne. How I’ve missed your silliness.

SMH
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:34 pm

Sweet, also from WaPo:
The Office of Personnel Management on Thursday said that employees affected by the partial shutdown will get an additional two weeks before they are billed for their vision and dental coverage.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Trump will win!

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 24, 2019 11:57 pm

It’s worth reading all the way through.
No, its not.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:11 am

Ben Stein on FOX Business News:
We have a society in which there are an awful lot of people who have no idea that Stalin, Hitler, Mao Tse-Tung all came to power promising the same kinds of things that Ms. Ocasio-Cortez is promising. And it led to mass murder, it led to dictatorship, it led to genocide. These promises are old promises and they invariably lead to bad things.
This is a job for Devin Nunes, surfacing Ocasio-Cortez's stealth legislative proposal to build Gulags for the enemies of the people, oops, you know what I mean. Nunes will surely turn up Ocasio-Cortez's genocidal plan as quickly as the "search party" finds that wall that keeps San Antonio safe.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:34 am

As to the size of Trump's die-hard base, a new poll released today finds that "President Trump has the support of 40 percent of the country no matter what. In our poll, 42 percent approve of his performance . . ."
(http://www.democracycorps.com/attachmen ... elease.pdf)
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:04 am

You also have some very fine people on both sides . . .



Oh yeah, and go Covington . . .
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:13 am

The scary thing is, Trump is now SERIOUSLY thinking about his own nuclear option, to declare a state of emergency. That would be an unconscionable, outrageous abuse of power. And the Senate would protect him. But it would and should immediately provoke a bill of impeachment.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:52 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:02 pm
The depressing thing is that rural farmers continue to support Trump. TBH I feel no sympathy for them, let them see what they voted for.
I get this but my feelings are stronger about Trump supporters: they have attacked and hurt us, and done ricocheting, irreparable damage to American politics and life. It is not just that they are cutting their own throats: they are, but they are doing so trying to cut mine. I know, I know, owning the libtards is soooo much fun, but {!#%@} 'em all.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster
Posts: 3246
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:14 am
Location: The Free Nambia Healthcare Nirvana

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Balmoral95 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 am

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:52 am
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:02 pm
The depressing thing is that rural farmers continue to support Trump. TBH I feel no sympathy for them, let them see what they voted for.
I get this but my feelings are stronger about Trump supporters: they have attacked and hurt us, and done ricocheting, irreparable damage to American politics and life. It is not just that they are cutting their own throats: they are, but they are doing so trying to cut mine. I know, I know, owning the libtards is soooo much fun, but {!#%@} 'em all.
I really find the farm stuff bs, as if their particular brand of economic pain is more severe than anyone else's. They've played that tune for facking eons, been subsidized forever, and still piss and moan endlessly...

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:30 am

And the subsidies have been increased under this administration . . . hard to figure why they might stick with the bastard. Agree, I was thinking more generally about all the dumbasses, suckers, wing nuts, "very fine people," and others who will not fare so well with what what they hath wrought.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Posts: 12699
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am
Custom Title: Lost in Translation
Location: Safely stored in my own mind

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:55 am

It is ironic that these rugged individualists depend so much on the government to keep them afloat.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”


Harvard Crimson (on why it refused to run an add by Bradley Smith):
“(It is) vicious propaganda based on utter BS that has been discredited time and time again.”

User avatar
scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Posts: 28686
Joined: Sun May 20, 2012 7:55 am
Location: sometimes

Re: Trump will win!

Post by scrmbldggs » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:51 am

:hmm: That's what the "our turn" Tea Party was and is all about...
.
Lard, save me from your followers.

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 am

Balmoral95 wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:14 am
Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:52 am
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:02 pm
The depressing thing is that rural farmers continue to support Trump. TBH I feel no sympathy for them, let them see what they voted for.
I get this but my feelings are stronger about Trump supporters: they have attacked and hurt us, and done ricocheting, irreparable damage to American politics and life. It is not just that they are cutting their own throats: they are, but they are doing so trying to cut mine. I know, I know, owning the libtards is soooo much fun, but {!#%@} 'em all.
I really find the farm stuff bs, as if their particular brand of economic pain is more severe than anyone else's. They've played that tune for facking eons, been subsidized forever, and still piss and moan endlessly...
Hey, as the descendant of Illinois farmers, I have to tell you, you're talking about MY people there.....And you are absolutely right!

Why the hell do these jackasses think they are more deserving than anyone else? They cheerfully accepted government "soil bank" subsidies to keep land fallow for future use, then immediately started whining that "the government won't let us grow anything!" But when the free market drove the price of their produce down below the cost of producing it, they cried out that they needed price supports. (Well, I suppose General Motors could also use price supports right now. So what?)

If you can get hold of HL Mencken's 1924 essay, "The Husbandman," you can read a very accurate, if uncharitable, account of the whole sorry story. (Google the Evil has gobbled up the book it's in, which is the fourth in the Prejudices series.) Another Mencken view on the matter can be found here. The 1924 essay was reprinted in "A Mencken Chrestomathy."
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:09 pm

My representative in Congress, Peter Welch, writes the following to me:

"Thank you for contacting me about President Trump’s threat to use presidential emergency powers to fund the construction of a wall on the southern border. I strongly oppose any such gross overreach of executive power. I am a cosponsor of H.R. 365, the This Land Is Our Land Act, which would prohibit funding for a border wall during a declared national emergency."

Well great, Peter! This will do ZERO good, because Mitch McConnell will swat it down like a fly in February. How about revoking whatever hare-brained legislation enabled the PRESIDENT to declare himself possessed of emergency powers? CONGRESS should decide what is an emergency and Congress should have to vote those powers and retain the prerogative of declaring the emergency over at any time. One could leave the option for the President to act in the event of an attack on the United States by the military of a foreign country, but otherwise, what we have is a recipe for Caesar to cross the Rubicon any time he decides the tradition of not crossing it is out of date. We might as well pass the 1933 Enabling Act.

It looks exactly as if Trump is planning to do this in the next few days. The first line of defense needs to be the courts. They must tell Trump to desist. Failing that, we need a national strike. It's uncomfortable for me, a retired person, to call on others to strike, but I can't see that any number of angry demonstrations would move this administration. We need the whole country lying on the ground and rotting to bring it to heel.

If neither of those things happen, then American democracy is truly over. Trump and his facilitators will NEVER relinquish this power voluntarily, once they have it.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 pm

"Get me Roger Stone."
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:56 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:57 am
Hey, as the descendant of Illinois farmers, I have to tell you, you're talking about MY people there.....And you are absolutely right!
ROFL
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:15 pm

It is now Bannon's time in the barrel, to boot.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 pm



The very existence of this footage may well fuel conspiracy theories in Trump's defense. Already Huckchuckle, refusing to answer any detail questions (specifically to whom this - " a senior Trump Campaign official was directed to contact STONE" - from the Stone indictment refers, who was giving directions to a "senior Trump Campaign official"), is saying that Stone's arrest has nothing to do with Trump, as presumably Trump's campaign has nothing to do with Trump at this point.

Stone will now be another coffee boy, I would guess, and his crimes "mere" lying under oath. White House and Drooliani seem a bit flummoxed this morning. Along with the midterms, and the public reaction to the shutdown, this morning's development may be the best news since the Democrats took the fatal step of nominating Hillary Clinton.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5335
Joined: Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:21 pm
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Re: Trump will win!

Post by ElectricMonk » Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:55 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:15 pm
It is now Bannon's time in the barrel, to boot.
Bannon already talked to Mueller, and probably served Stone on a platter in exchange for something.

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:04 pm

Your'e right, good point . . . it is, just the same, another bad look for him and continues to cut against his carefully cultivated "them over there" vs "me over here" posture. The indictment confirms earlier NY Times reporting on Bannon and Stone - and places him, as we knew was the case, amongst the thugs and criminals instead of the high-minded, principled theorist and historian he pretends to be.

The other important point, which the presidential spinners will try to obscure, is that this indictment is not the culmination, exhausting Mueller's arsenal, but only a part of the whole, with more to come, probably up and down the chain.

This morning, for example, I would not want to be Jerome Corsi. I assume Mr Corsi knows what's coming.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 4:48 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 2:17 pm
The very existence of this footage may well fuel conspiracy theories in Trump's defense.
Pretty much on schedule, Individual-1 and right-wing hack start the CTs: https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/trum ... ed-off-cnn
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Trump will win!

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm

FTL:
"Trump Seizes On Conspiracy That FBI Tipped Off CNN: ‘Who Alerted CNN To Be There?"

Ummmm........so what? They either did, or CNN had some connection/surveillance/hint that the arrest was on. Could have come from several different sources like the court house where the warrant was approved, or a stalwart reporter staking out the FBI Swat Team assembly area?

Point being: so what? Doesn't go to the "substance" of any charge. Media fodder perhaps in these days of 24/7 coverage needing filler........but .... so what??

More interesting to me, a bit tangent but still, is how Manafort STILL is being presented as some kind of victim vis a vis law enforcement and only just being arrested, the same thing is going on with Stone. Any "honest" reviewer knows that these two men are walking crime factories. What ought to be making the "news" is how these two crumbs and countless other operatives are allowed to get away with it. OK.......no different than Trump with the latest OBVIOUS crime of 30 or so Top Secret credentials being issued to Trumps family/team.

No Congressional Oversight = Dictatorship.........or atleast lawless regime. And, its all right out in the open: just look.

One more swing at the dead horse: I find it really irritating and demonstrating of the nonsense that goes by way of Media Coverage that 4-5 Congress Creeps are interviewed and Say "We will not permit Cohen's testimony to be illegally influenced by any outside interference...........WITH... news clips of Trump doing exactly that before during and after the interview. No reporter to date has challenged the Creeps on their hypocrisy. Trump is in essence shooting people on Broadway.............and..........getting away with it.

I do blame Congress as they take an Oath.......but the Media is only 1-2 steps behind enshrined as they are in the First Amendment. A few steps farther back: the Trump base. Free Speech and the Freeeeeeedom to Vote........but STupid People do throw a shank into those hallowed notions. Heh, heh.....what an urge to "make" people think the same way I do. I feel it. Good thing: I don't have any power.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm

Media (Drudge and others) reports on Trump caving on shutdown, which would put the score Pelosi 2, Trump 0, with Trump about to announce a 3-week deal to reopen the government that does not include money for the Wall. This follows last evening's acrimony among Senate Republicans after they voted yesterday, and this morning's airport ground hold at LaGuardia.

If the reports are accurate, then the Great Negotiator will have negotiated for himself 1) a worse deal than he had in December, 2) a far worse deal than he could have had early last year, 3) a criminal government shutdown that caused extensive hardship (in the service of achieving worse deals), and 4) crashing approval ratings for his presidency.

The 3-week break is, according to beliefs in the White House, what's needed to gain defections from "moderate Democrats" on funding the Wall.

And we would get to confront a resumed shutdown in 3 weeks if Trump doesn't get his way, whatever it is.

Announcement delayed half an hour - Wilbur Ross is waiting, in a prominent spot, to remind us of all of the Republican Id - so perhaps Trump changed his mind at the last minute.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:21 pm

Trump announces he's proud that "We have reached a deal to end the shutdown and open the federal government" and that he will hold off using his "very powerful alternative." He leads off with the disinformation that federal employees have encouraged him in the shutdown. They are great people - despite Trump's having dismissed them as being Democrats a couple weeks ago.

The deal is for a 3 week opening and back pay. Trump believes that the Democrats, finally, are for border security, including "barriers, fencing, a wall whatever you want to call it." He expects, Trump says, that both parties will approach border security discussions in good faith.

The so-called president's performance is dull, defeated, hollow, like a hostage video. He begins rambling about walls around the world and makes the startling claim that he never proposed a wall along the border. He seems to have learned about ports of entry. He wanders off about MS-13, narco-terrorists, women victims, and the 1000s of Americans whose lives they have put at risk. He repeats the duct tape meme which no one has been able to explain - and now wanders through lefts and rights into the desert into the US. American carnage re: opioids, which his administration has left barely addressed.

The speech has transmogrified from announcement of a deal - he didn't seem to say that the 3 week deal doesn't include wall funding - into his dishonest and painfully repetitious pitch, a mishmash of disjointed and misleading "alternative facts," for his wall. Trump casts immigration as pitting low income Americans who bear its burden, he says, against elites - he's back to bashing the "Democrat" party. He comes across as insane.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:36 pm

Trump agreed to open the government without money for his Wall - and then gave a Stephen Miller "American carnage" special trying to cover up for this whopping loss.

{!#%@} duct tape.

Trump's threat is if he doesn't get his wall via legislation he will take dictatorial action using emergency authority.

This man has got to go.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm
FTL:
"Trump Seizes On Conspiracy That FBI Tipped Off CNN: ‘Who Alerted CNN To Be There?"

Ummmm........so what? They either did, or CNN had some connection/surveillance/hint that the arrest was on. Could have come from several different sources like the court house where the warrant was approved, or a stalwart reporter staking out the FBI Swat Team assembly area?
It was on DailyKos yesterday that the Mueller Grand Jury was working overtime, and the assumption was that meant there would be an arrest today.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm
Media (Drudge and others) reports on Trump caving on shutdown, which would put the score Pelosi 2, Trump 0, with Trump about to announce a 3-week deal to reopen the government that does not include money for the Wall. This follows last evening's acrimony among Senate Republicans after they voted yesterday, and this morning's airport ground hold at LaGuardia.

If the reports are accurate, then the Great Negotiator will have negotiated for himself 1) a worse deal than he had in December, 2) a far worse deal than he could have had early last year, 3) a criminal government shutdown that caused extensive hardship (in the service of achieving worse deals), and 4) crashing approval ratings for his presidency.

The 3-week break is, according to beliefs in the White House, what's needed to gain defections from "moderate Democrats" on funding the Wall.

And we would get to confront a resumed shutdown in 3 weeks if Trump doesn't get his way, whatever it is.

Announcement delayed half an hour - Wilbur Ross is waiting, in a prominent spot, to remind us of all of the Republican Id - so perhaps Trump changed his mind at the last minute.
As of this moment, the Prince of Orange is still bloviating and pontificating about the horrible threat from the southern border. Let him rant. He has LOST. Bigly.

I'm fairly sure that the shutdown will NOT resume, no matter what deal he gets in the meantime. He knows better. And he also now knows how really, really stupid it is to let Limbaugh and Coulter put him up on a tiger's back.

Democrats have already offered all kinds of measures for border security. If they were now to agree to a couple of miles of steel slats at some strategic point, Trump will have saved a small amount of face with his base. At the moment, he has nothing to show except another unconditional concession on his part. Pelosi can now re-invite him for the Tuesday night SOTU.

The best part is, he apparently knows the danger to him from an attempt to claim emergency powers and he isn't going to do it. I can breathe easier on that point. And, I think, he has now lost credibility and won't be able to feed his base the red meat they are accustomed to hearing from him. He's no longer Rambo with a machine gun. He looks more like the Man Behind the Curtain. And the Wicked Witch of the West has just dropped a house on HIM.
Last edited by Upton_O_Goode on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 pm
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm
FTL:
"Trump Seizes On Conspiracy That FBI Tipped Off CNN: ‘Who Alerted CNN To Be There?"

Ummmm........so what? They either did, or CNN had some connection/surveillance/hint that the arrest was on. Could have come from several different sources like the court house where the warrant was approved, or a stalwart reporter staking out the FBI Swat Team assembly area?
It was on DailyKos yesterday that the Mueller Grand Jury was working overtime, and the assumption was that meant there would be an arrest today.
That is how CNN explained it. Did someone ask "So what?" There is no accounting for some people.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:44 pm
Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:44 pm
Media (Drudge and others) reports on Trump caving on shutdown, which would put the score Pelosi 2, Trump 0, with Trump about to announce a 3-week deal to reopen the government that does not include money for the Wall. This follows last evening's acrimony among Senate Republicans after they voted yesterday, and this morning's airport ground hold at LaGuardia.

If the reports are accurate, then the Great Negotiator will have negotiated for himself 1) a worse deal than he had in December, 2) a far worse deal than he could have had early last year, 3) a criminal government shutdown that caused extensive hardship (in the service of achieving worse deals), and 4) crashing approval ratings for his presidency.

The 3-week break is, according to beliefs in the White House, what's needed to gain defections from "moderate Democrats" on funding the Wall.

And we would get to confront a resumed shutdown in 3 weeks if Trump doesn't get his way, whatever it is.

Announcement delayed half an hour - Wilbur Ross is waiting, in a prominent spot, to remind us of all of the Republican Id - so perhaps Trump changed his mind at the last minute.
As of this moment, the Prince of Orange is still bloviating and pontificating about the horrible threat from the southern border. Let him rant. He has LOST. Bigly.
A couple of "next developments" that should be interesting: 1) how do Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity react to Trump's backing down? 2) who is involved in the congressional negotiations, that is, the conference committee - most importantly who is appointed by McConnell? 3) if the Democrats hold tight, what does Individual-1 do when he doesn't get his wall?

I expect congressional Republicans to stick with Trump in another suicide mission, should he choose to undertake one. But, indeed, Pelosi crushed the {!#%@} bastard and he is shown to have inflicted harm and pain for absolutely nothing. The Big Winner is the Biggest Loser.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 pm

And Ann Coulter answers my first question:



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:21 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm
A couple of "next developments" that should be interesting: 1) how do Ann Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity react to Trump's backing down? 2) who is involved in the congressional negotiations, that is, the conference committee - most importantly who is appointed by McConnell? 3) if the Democrats hold tight, what does Individual-1 do when he doesn't get his wall?
I'm looking all over for their reaction. This is going to be delicious!
Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:15 pm
I expect congressional Republicans to stick with Trump in another suicide mission, should he choose to undertake one. But, indeed, Pelosi crushed the {!#%@} bastard and he is shown to have inflicted harm and pain for absolutely nothing. The Big Winner is the Biggest Loser.
You are undoubtedly right that they will stick with him, no matter what. There is no one left in the Republican Party except his base. But I think the swaggering playground-bully image that so thrilled his audiences has suffered a severe shock. I only hope it's enough to tip him into the pose of a bipartisan leader. It won't play well, though, and headlines are going to be fun fun fun for the next few days.

Or until he gets us into a war in Venezuela, whichever comes first.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Posts: 5102
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:15 am
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt
Location: The Land Formerly Known as Pangea

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:22 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:16 pm
And Ann Coulter answers my first question:



:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Thanks for saving me the trouble of looking for it.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:27 pm

Remember when Lindsey Graham said a short term deal without a Wall would be the end of Trump's presidency? God, I hope he was right. Btw, Graham bows to the White House and supports the deal which will bring an end to Trump's presidency:

. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:40 pm

The personal humiliation suffered by Trump is politically important: his brand - of manly competence, success and winning - has taken a full body blow, from a 78 year old grandmother, no less. Trump got zero, maybe less than zero, and inflicted widespread pain. I will be seeing some friends, among them MAGA diehards, this weekend: I'll be interested to see their Kavanaugh swagger and Covington smirks after this.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 9:49 pm

Right-wing watch (for Upton):

Breitbart is displeased:
Government Open…

…And Border

No Wall

Still No SOTU!
And the tweets are coming:





. . . all right we are two nations . . .

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:38 pm

Roger Stone is chill with all this and using it as an occasion for a media circus, er, tour . . . if you have a dog, like the poor beast up, Stone's on the loose.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 19760
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: Trump will win!

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:46 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:10 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:38 pm
bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:42 pm
FTL:
"Trump Seizes On Conspiracy That FBI Tipped Off CNN: ‘Who Alerted CNN To Be There?"

Ummmm........so what? They either did, or CNN had some connection/surveillance/hint that the arrest was on. Could have come from several different sources like the court house where the warrant was approved, or a stalwart reporter staking out the FBI Swat Team assembly area?
It was on DailyKos yesterday that the Mueller Grand Jury was working overtime, and the assumption was that meant there would be an arrest today.
That is how CNN explained it. Did someone ask "So what?" There is no accounting for some people.
"Did someone ask "So what?"..........No, because the CNN does not have an imbecilic conspiracy/"fake news" mindset. The "so what" accounts for this mindset IN TRUMP. Seems fairly obvious.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Posts: 12699
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am
Custom Title: Lost in Translation
Location: Safely stored in my own mind

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:49 pm

Trump will get nothing and like it.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”


Harvard Crimson (on why it refused to run an add by Bradley Smith):
“(It is) vicious propaganda based on utter BS that has been discredited time and time again.”

User avatar
Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Posts: 12699
Joined: Tue May 31, 2016 3:00 am
Custom Title: Lost in Translation
Location: Safely stored in my own mind

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:51 pm

Oddly enough we know Trump loves hamburgers and cheeseburgers!!!!!
Sorry, hamberders.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”


Harvard Crimson (on why it refused to run an add by Bradley Smith):
“(It is) vicious propaganda based on utter BS that has been discredited time and time again.”

User avatar
Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Posts: 27722
Joined: Thu Feb 13, 2014 4:19 pm
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu
Location: still in Greater Tomainia

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:53 pm

Roger Stone thinks he is in a movie. He's reveling in the cinematic fantasy. I hope that EM's left a spot along the wall for Stone come the revolution.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .