Discussions
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Re: Trump will win!

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm

Statistical Mechanic wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:58 am
Trump is apparently raging, per Maggie Haberman in NY Times, in the White House, doing his Dumb Macbeth role. (“We are getting crushed! Why can’t we get a deal?” Trump reportedly said to Tea Party chief of staff Mick Mulvaney.) Trump has made many miscalculations in adopting a Gingrichian approach here, not least of which is "misunderestimating" Pelosi. Pelosi can count, and this week's Pew poll numbers, which show almost no support for a compromise on the wall, from both sides but more so from the "no wall" side, must be in her mind.
That encourages me immensely. Latest report is, Trump thinks Mitch McConnell can invite him in, so maybe Pelosi's "suggestion" actually was a disinvitation. If so, I'm happy to be wrong on that point. McConnell would do this if he could. No doubt about that.

But word also is that Trump's sycophants are telling him Pelosi is AFRAID of his mighty eloquence and desperate to keep him from getting an audience. Uh, no, Donald, Pelosi is just as tone-deaf as you yourself are when she has a goal in mind.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Dostawca - sciany tekstu

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:31 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm
Latest report is, Trump thinks Mitch McConnell can invite him in, so maybe Pelosi's "suggestion" actually was a disinvitation. If so, I'm happy to be wrong on that point. McConnell would do this if he could. No doubt about that.
I assume that Trump will be invited by McConnell and speak in the Senate chamber.

Pelosi will need a counter-move. Some reports are saying that Trump is beginning to see economic impact from the shutdown, and, with his obsession with the economy supposedly being his strong card, he's kind of gotten, in his mind, the unstoppable-force-hitting-against-the-unmovable-object dilemma.
. . . all right we are two nations . . .

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:31 pm

It’s good to see the brave men and women of the Secret Service get taken care of.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/17/politi ... 9999999999

I found this ironic:
"One guy is literally going to get food stamps today because he's a single source of income for his family, and he was saying, 'You know what, I support [President Trump], and I think we ought to continue the shutdown as long as we need, because I support what he's doing. And he can do that, and I'll go get food stamps.' "
Best hurry and get that application done. The USDA wants SNAP (food stamps) distributed by January 20th so that the program is fully funded. After that the agency dips into contingency funds and there is no telling how long those will last.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:43 pm

Well, this is not unexpected but it doesn’t do any good as long as the government remains closed:

https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/16/politi ... 9999999999

Groening:

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:05 pm

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:31 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:14 pm
Latest report is, Trump thinks Mitch McConnell can invite him in, so maybe Pelosi's "suggestion" actually was a disinvitation. If so, I'm happy to be wrong on that point. McConnell would do this if he could. No doubt about that.
I assume that Trump will be invited by McConnell and speak in the Senate chamber.

Pelosi will need a counter-move. Some reports are saying that Trump is beginning to see economic impact from the shutdown, and, with his obsession with the economy supposedly being his strong card, he's kind of gotten, in his mind, the unstoppable-force-hitting-against-the-unmovable-object dilemma.
Now DailyKos is reporting that McConnell doesn't have the authority to invite Trump by himself. He needs to put it to a vote, and it's one that requires a super-majority, which he doesn't have. That sounds like wishful thinking to me, but BOY! Do I wish it!

But it does appear that the White House is now agreed that the standard invitation from the Speaker of the House (who, incidentally, is second in line to the Presidency) has been rescinded. I may be grasping at straws here, but I'm encouraged.

Trump's constant invitations to the Democrats to come over and capitulate remind me of the burglar who smashes in your door, then invites you to negotiate with him for the removal of your furniture.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:25 pm

As a former American history PhD student, I happily admit to having no friggin' clue what can and cannot be done re: presidential invitations and speeches. The shorthand was always that the president must be invited by the House speaker - and that the modern approach is mostly custom that has evolved since Wilson's time. I am sure that Pelosi knows (!) and I have some degree of confidence that Pelosi has gamed this out.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:16 pm

Last I saw on TV was Pelosi saying the entire issue was "out of her hands" and purely a security issue controlled by those folks.

Thats not leadership.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:25 pm

Meanwhile, time to dance:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:17 pm

Well......
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/17/politi ... 9999999999

I suggest instead of being a travel coordinator he get the government reopened.

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:26 pm

This is why we need a wall. Look at the truly horrifying picture of the mayhem currenty occurring on our Southern border:

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:31 pm

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:22 am

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:00 pm
The true meaning of the House vote against white nationalism:

Chuck Johnson explainer here, yes, he's also a Holocaust denier: http://holocaustcontroversies.blogspot. ... r-has.html
The weird aspect of Chuck Johnson's meeting yesterday with Republican congressmen was the stated purpose: we didn't meet with an alt-right thug and Holocaust denier, no way, we met with a guy repping a company working on "increasing the number of sequenced genomes for research."

Today NBC speculates about what was going on there:
Spokespersons for Harris and Roe both confirmed to NBC News that they had met with Johnson Thursday, and a spokesperson for Roe said they had discussed "DNA" and "genetics." Johnson and Harris would not identify the company when asked. Roe's office said it did not know the identity of the company. . . .

Over the years, Johnson has shown a steady interest in DNA — both the genetic makeup of politicians and the links he draws between DNA, race, intelligence and predisposition for criminality.

In May 2017, Johnson shared a post with the headline "African Americans possess 'violence' gene, researchers find" from a fringe website. The article's author is anonymous, and anyone can post to the site. The previous year, Johnson linked to a news report about the assault of a white teen by black girls and wrote "They mean to exterminate us" above the link.

In February 2016, he implored people to "Google the MAO-A gene." The Google search results for "MAO-A" often feature debunked articles attempting to tie race to violence.

"It's the genetics," he wrote.

Earlier in that same month, Johnson posted to Facebook, "Asians are smarter. It's in the genes, man."

Johnson has also attempted to link the genes of Muslims, who are members of a religion and not a specific ethnic group, to a genetic predisposition to violence.

"We don't want to talk about inbreeding and how it leads to mental illness in Muslim populations. It's too taboo," Johnson wrote on Dec. 4, 2015.

"We also don't talk about how they are genetically different in their propensity for violence or rape even though the empirical evidence is overwhelming."
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congre ... ce-n959931

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:14 am

So does this mean "white" directors of violent films like Eastwood, Peckinpah, and Tarantino are "probable blacks"?

Genetics are confusing.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:32 pm

Yep:
https://www-m.cnn.com/2019/01/18/politi ... 2Fpolitics

I wonder how much the border will mean when people can’t eat.

Groening:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:04 am

Eat the wall?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 12:35 am

That’ll work for the Trumps. Instead of “let them eat cake” it’s “let them eat a wall.”

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:26 am

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbsnew ... Device=amp

Hhhhhhhhhhmmmmm, this is not what I expected.

TBH I think this is the way forward. I think Trump might get part of his wall. He’s now put the onus back on the Democrats by giving them some of the things they want.

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:20 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Sat Jan 19, 2019 10:11 pm

TBH I think this is the way forward. I think Trump might get part of his wall. He’s now put the onus back on the Democrats by giving them some of the things they want.
Trump is asking for only a small part of his Wall. Which he has described, nonsensically, as needed to address some emergency. The entire Wall thing is political BS, basically his need to keep his loon-right flank covered.

And this proposed deal is part of the political BS. Because the Supreme Court declined to hear the DACA case, DACA is safe - Trump is figuring - until the next Court term.

Also this is a watered down version of the Bridge bill, which Trump nixed last year. It covers fewer immigrants but also trades a temporary fix for a permanent Wall. The premise of the Bridge bill was that a grand immigration compromise would be worked out during the term - which no one, having observed Trump the past year, and the pull of the far right, now believes feasible.

Recall also that it was Trump who put DACA recipients in harm's way: "Stop me before I shoot again."

To me, the most important thing, which will get lost in the headlines, is that we have a process for enacting laws, and it has not until the ascendancy of the Republican far right included shutting down the government if the President (or Congress) doesn't get the sought-after result. Rewarding this approach - there is a debt ceiling vote coming up in March I think - is asking for more and more trouble.
Last edited by Statistical Mechanic on Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 am

nice bunch of "pro-life" nutcases: https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... 2d2ba55079

also https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens ... index.html and https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... an-veteran

because let's harass and mock an American Indian elder, call Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas, slap up spastics, kick some Jews . . .

Btw I think I caught a glimpse of Squee in the crowd.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:50 am

Patton Oswalt tweet re: above MAGA mob: “I liked intimidating elderly Native Americans. I STILL like intimidating elderly Native Americans. — this kid, at his confirmation hearing, before being appointed to the Supreme Court.”

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:43 am

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:20 am

To me, the most important thing, which will get lost in the headlines, is that we have a process for enacting laws, and it has not until the ascendancy of the Republican far right included shutting down the government if the President (or Congress) doesn't get the sought-after result. Rewarding this approach - there is a debt ceiling vote coming up in March I think - is asking for more and more trouble.
The ascendancy of Mitch McConnell....

The turtle plays by his own rules. When was the last time before him where the Senate denied a sitting president a hearing on a Supreme Court Justice? Refused to bring bills before the Senate the House passed?

He’s a disgrace who opened up Pandora’s Box with his actions (helped by shortsighted Democratic Senators).

Groening:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:32 am

:hmm: Seems some teenagers think he's very silently very much in support of them...
Lard, save me from your followers.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 3:13 pm

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts
Location: At the hundredth meridian, where the great plains begin

Post by Jeff_36 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:24 pm

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 am
nice bunch of "pro-life" nutcases: https://www.washingtonpost.com/religion ... 2d2ba55079

also https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/19/us/teens ... index.html and https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/201 ... an-veteran

because let's harass and mock an American Indian elder, call Elizabeth Warren Pocahontas, slap up spastics, kick some Jews . . .

A man who fought for his country mocked and derided by acolytes of a draft dodger. What has happened to America?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:43 pm

I don’t know.

Groening:

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:49 pm

I’m not sure that it ever existed.

Groening:

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:36 pm

Not the America Jeff_36 wishes did, no, that country could not and did not exist. It's a myth.

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Jeff_36 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:04 am

Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:36 pm
Not the America Jeff_36 wishes did, no, that country could not and did not exist. It's a myth.
There was a time when certain behaviors considered ordinary for the current POTUS were out of the question for his predecessors. It wasn't long ago either. I remember when Obama's tan suit sparked a miniature media frenzy that lasted the better part of a week. Last year Trump accused Joe Scarborough of murder and it garnered barely a sideways glance. The standards, both in politics and in broader culture, seem to have shifted.

Jeff_36
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Jeff_36 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:07 am

For the record I don't think that I have ever believed in such a construct as "the good old days". That being said, political polarization, institutional drift, and creeping authoritarianism have rendered the past 30 years superior to the last two and a half just by way of comparison.

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 am

Ya know, we had slavery. We had constitutional provisions and laws criminalizing assistance to "runaway slaves." Massacres of the American Indians happened. Lynchings really took place, and the Klan was powerful at one time. "Integration" was only realized in my lifetime - and it took determined protest action to make progress in extending basic civil rights to African Americans; the country actually was for a long period a white supremacist "paradise." We've had periods characterized by riots, political murders and assassinations, violent civil conflict. We like periodic paranoid scares about hidden subversives and disloyal foreigners; we had draconian laws barring immigration during the interwar, WWII, and postwar years. We've fought ugly, unjust wars against little countries like Vietnam, meddled in the Middle East and Latin America, and we blew Iraq to smithereens based on lies. We elected, among others, W. Sure, Trump is probably the worst president the country has had, but it isn't like all of a sudden race-baiting, persecution of minorities, paranoia and bad craziness appeared from nowhere.

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:42 am

Jeff_36 wrote:
Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:24 pm
Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:30 am

A man who fought for his country mocked and derided by acolytes of a draft dodger. What has happened to America?
Apparently you've spent too much time hanging out at the Norman Rockwell museum :D

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Trump putting the onus on Pelosi today: "And by the way, clean up the streets in San Francisco, they are disgusting!"

What kind of {!#%@} infant talks like this?

Balmoral95
Persistent Poster

Post by Balmoral95 » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:52 am

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:31 am
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Trump putting the onus on Pelosi today: "And by the way, clean up the streets in San Francisco, they are disgusting!"

Agreed, with the caveat that SF streets are pretty gross recently but certainly not Pelosi's problem... so yeah, it's a totally childish remark which smacks of schoolyard feminine bitchiness*...

* according to my wife

Statistical Mechanic
Real Skeptic

Post by Statistical Mechanic » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:43 am

And has nothing to do with the government shutdown in any event!

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:59 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Maybe he's just upset that he can't manage to get anyone to clean up the streets in Washington? Or New York. Or Mar-a-lago. Or his bedroom.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:14 am

What a s-hole country. :-P
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Mon Jan 21, 2019 9:53 am

Buy a broom!
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:46 am

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:48 am
Ya know, we had slavery. We had constitutional provisions and laws criminalizing assistance to "runaway slaves." Massacres of the American Indians happened. Lynchings really took place, and the Klan was powerful at one time. "Integration" was only realized in my lifetime - and it took determined protest action to make progress in extending basic civil rights to African Americans; the country actually was for a long period a white supremacist "paradise." We've had periods characterized by riots, political murders and assassinations, violent civil conflict. We like periodic paranoid scares about hidden subversives and disloyal foreigners; we had draconian laws barring immigration during the interwar, WWII, and postwar years. We've fought ugly, unjust wars against little countries like Vietnam, meddled in the Middle East and Latin America, and we blew Iraq to smithereens based on lies. We elected, among others, W. Sure, Trump is probably the worst president the country has had, but it isn't like all of a sudden race-baiting, persecution of minorities, paranoia and bad craziness appeared from nowhere.
Always good points to keep in mind...........and.........I'd extend it a bit, to "all" countries. Because countries are only people, and people are the same all over. A good percentage left to their own druthers are racist self seeking culturally isolated homophobic superstitious barely vertical harry apes. Thats who we are. Takes philosophy and empathy to rise above it......and then only if things are going well enough not to sink back below.

Bad times will re-emerge. Its the cycle, pendulum swing, of civilization.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:19 pm

Gord wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:59 am
Jeffk 1970 wrote:

Maybe he's just upset that he can't manage to get anyone to clean up the streets in Washington? Or New York. Or Mar-a-lago. Or his bedroom.
Is there anyone in the whole country who doesn't see the pathetic desperation in that gratuitous and meaningless insult?