The Inter Mind

What you think about how you think.
Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 am

SteveKlinko wrote:Are you seriously asking me to provide the exact chain of Evolutionary steps that led to the first experience of Pain?
No. I am asking you how a creature experiencing pain will evolve one way or the other. The creature already has the required genes to feel pain ......to feel pain in the first place.

Secondly, as you claim there is an evolved consciousness in another non-physical dimension, and non-physical things can't feel pain, you already contradicted your own claim. that "it needs to feel pain to evolve". How do you claim this non-physical consciousness in another dimension evolves? :lol: :lol:

Your "Inter mind" religious claim is both contradictory and doesn't make any sense, whereas the normal scientific understanding of evolution in normal physics is already known and established.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10685
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Poodle » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:01 am

Why do you always attempt to pass the buck, Steve? This stuff is all your baby. Defend it logically or give it up. It's simple, really. What I'm constantly saying is that YOU are constantly making claims which you cannot substantiate. They may be interesting, but your constant habit of moving swiftly from suggestion to angry defence is telling.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10511
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by landrew » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:29 am

SteveKlinko wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:23 pm

Are you seriously asking me to provide the exact chain of Evolutionary steps that led to the first experience of Pain? This is a disingenuous Diversion from the point of the original statement that the Pain experience probably gave early Animals and Organisms a survival advantage with the effect that the Conscious experience of Pain affected Evolutionary outcomes. The issue of how and when Pain Evolved is another topic. The answer to your question is nobody knows.
Nobody knows but it would be logical to assume that it appeared when brains became capable of learned behaviors in response to pain stimuli. I'm guessing it's somewhere between a lizard and a shrew. A mollusk, or even a fish may learn to avoid an electric shock, but it's not clear that it needs to feel pain to do it.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:38 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:59 am
SteveKlinko wrote:Are you seriously asking me to provide the exact chain of Evolutionary steps that led to the first experience of Pain?
No. I am asking you how a creature experiencing pain will evolve one way or the other. The creature already has the required genes to feel pain ......to feel pain in the first place.

Secondly, as you claim there is an evolved consciousness in another non-physical dimension, and non-physical things can't feel pain, you already contradicted your own claim. that "it needs to feel pain to evolve". How do you claim this non-physical consciousness in another dimension evolves? :lol: :lol:

Your "Inter mind" religious claim is both contradictory and doesn't make any sense, whereas the normal scientific understanding of evolution in normal physics is already known and established.
I have told you a hundred times. It' in the original statement itself. What is the purpose of Pain? I say Pain will give an Organism or Animal an increase in their Survival rate. Increased Survival Rate will let more of these Animals Survive. So the Point is simply that Pain, a Conscious Experience, can affect Survival Rates. Something that affects Survival Rates certainly will affect Evolution. No Pain, then expect different kinds of Evolutionary outcomes. This is purely a thought experiment. If you deny that Pain does influence Evolutionary outcomes then that's ok too. I think most people would see the Logic in what I am saying. At the same time I think most people would agree that it is Illogical to think that Pain did not affect Evolutionary outcomes.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm

SteveKlinko wrote:I say Pain will give an Organism or Animal an increase in their Survival rate.
You are an idiot. If a predator feels "more" pain fighting a prey, that would be an adaptive disadvantage as the predator would not hunt that prey. A creature has to already have the appropriate pain gene to feel pain in the first place.

You keep avoiding answering my simple question. How doe a creature feeling pain, evolve one way or another, as it already has the "pain" gene?
SteveKlinko wrote:. I think most people would see the Logic in what I am saying.
No one agrees with you. Everyone here knows that species evolve to adapt to their environment and not their own internal existing physiology. You are just too stupid and ignorant to read how evolution actually works.
Evolution for dummies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10511
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by landrew » Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:42 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:I say Pain will give an Organism or Animal an increase in their Survival rate.
That makes no sense. If the pain hasn't caused the animal to learn a new behavior that enhances its survival, it serves no purpose. Cancer causes pain, but it has nothing to do with survival. Mice will flee a burning haystack, but when they see a potential predator, they run back into the flames and are consumed, at least that's what I observed. I'm not sure how the feeling of pain helped them to survive in that situation.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Dimebag
Regular Poster
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Dimebag » Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am

What Matt seems to be saying is, pain dependent behaviour is what continues to aid evolution of a species. Steve is leaving out the behaviour aspect and is focusing on the pain experience itself.

What I would like to know is, is pain dependent behaviour contingent on conscious experience of pain? Or can pain dependent behaviour be triggered without conscious awareness of pain? If not, then would you not have to include conscious recognition of pain within the necessary causal chain required for automatic pain dependent behaviour (e.g. withdrawing a hand from intense heat).

I have a feeling this kind of pain reflex might be actioned preconsciously, with conscious recognition occurring after the specific reflex has been initiated.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 am

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:I say Pain will give an Organism or Animal an increase in their Survival rate.
You are an idiot. If a predator feels "more" pain fighting a prey, that would be an adaptive disadvantage as the predator would not hunt that prey. A creature has to already have the appropriate pain gene to feel pain in the first place.

You keep avoiding answering my simple question. How doe a creature feeling pain, evolve one way or another, as it already has the "pain" gene?
SteveKlinko wrote:. I think most people would see the Logic in what I am saying.
No one agrees with you. Everyone here knows that species evolve to adapt to their environment and not their own internal existing physiology. You are just too stupid and ignorant to read how evolution actually works.
Evolution for dummies.jpg
You just gave an example of how Pain can affect things. If a Predator feels more Pain it will be a disadvantage for it. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator. You have just admitted that the experience of Pain can affect Evolutionary outcomes. Very Good.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:47 am

Dimebag wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 10:01 am
What Matt seems to be saying is, pain dependent behaviour is what continues to aid evolution of a species. Steve is leaving out the behaviour aspect and is focusing on the pain experience itself.

What I would like to know is, is pain dependent behaviour contingent on conscious experience of pain? Or can pain dependent behaviour be triggered without conscious awareness of pain? If not, then would you not have to include conscious recognition of pain within the necessary causal chain required for automatic pain dependent behaviour (e.g. withdrawing a hand from intense heat).

I have a feeling this kind of pain reflex might be actioned preconsciously, with conscious recognition occurring after the specific reflex has been initiated.
There is no Pain dependent behavior without the actual experience of Pain.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10511
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by landrew » Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:31 pm

SteveKlinko wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:I say Pain will give an Organism or Animal an increase in their Survival rate.
You are an idiot. If a predator feels "more" pain fighting a prey, that would be an adaptive disadvantage as the predator would not hunt that prey. A creature has to already have the appropriate pain gene to feel pain in the first place.

You keep avoiding answering my simple question. How doe a creature feeling pain, evolve one way or another, as it already has the "pain" gene?
SteveKlinko wrote:. I think most people would see the Logic in what I am saying.
No one agrees with you. Everyone here knows that species evolve to adapt to their environment and not their own internal existing physiology. You are just too stupid and ignorant to read how evolution actually works.
Evolution for dummies.jpg
You just gave an example of how Pain can affect things. If a Predator feels more Pain it will be a disadvantage for it. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator. You have just admitted that the experience of Pain can affect Evolutionary outcomes. Very Good.
Steve. Pain is only one of many stimuli that teach the brain how to learn. You talk as though it's the only one. Hormones and neurotransmitters such as:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... -happiness

...work on the other side of the coin, rewarding us for making choices that normally teach us behaviors beneficial to survival. It goes without saying that artificial stimulants can harm us by forming addictions and bad habits. It also goes without saying that the simpler the organism, the fewer neurochemicals are involved, as well as pain itself. I see no evidence that simpler organisms feel anything resembling pain.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:17 pm

SteveKlinko wrote: You just gave an example of how Pain can affect things.
For that individual who already has evolved pain. It does not effect the evolution of the species.

Here is your religious claim.
SteveKlinko wrote: t would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
That has nothing to do with evolution. Explain to me how a creature experiencing pain will "be guided" evolve one way or the other. Show me each step in the your proposed evolutionary mechanism. You can't, can you, because it is religious crap.

Evolution adapts to the environment. A species does not evolve due to characteristics it has already evolved.
Evolution for dummies.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10511
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by landrew » Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:19 am

Evolution is not guided. There is no plan; no designer, and evolution often takes dead-end turns. Here is an example: Some species become parthogenic, where the male of the species completely disappears. There is a short-term advantage in terms of reproductivity, producing large numbers of clones, but it comes at the expense of genetic diversity, and the species is likely to go extinct as a result.

Another example is the way humans are still transitioning to a fully bipedal stance after several million years of evolution. We have a variety of back and leg problems which other bipedal organisms do not have. As Richard Dawkins termed it, evolution is a blind watchmaker. Everything proceeds by feel, without any pre-planning whatsoever. Evolution is entirely a RESULT of natural selection. Intent is absent from the process.

Edited: to credit the correct author of The Blind Watchmaker.
Last edited by landrew on Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10685
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Poodle » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:24 am

Richard Dawkins?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 am

SteveKlinko wrote:. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator.
I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is this creature introducing new specific genes and passing them down, by choosing to eat more vegetation?

You really don't have any idea what evolution is, do you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:28 pm

landrew wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 5:31 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:44 am
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Fri Dec 07, 2018 10:21 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:I say Pain will give an Organism or Animal an increase in their Survival rate.
You are an idiot. If a predator feels "more" pain fighting a prey, that would be an adaptive disadvantage as the predator would not hunt that prey. A creature has to already have the appropriate pain gene to feel pain in the first place.

You keep avoiding answering my simple question. How doe a creature feeling pain, evolve one way or another, as it already has the "pain" gene?
SteveKlinko wrote:. I think most people would see the Logic in what I am saying.
No one agrees with you. Everyone here knows that species evolve to adapt to their environment and not their own internal existing physiology. You are just too stupid and ignorant to read how evolution actually works.
Evolution for dummies.jpg
You just gave an example of how Pain can affect things. If a Predator feels more Pain it will be a disadvantage for it. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator. You have just admitted that the experience of Pain can affect Evolutionary outcomes. Very Good.
Steve. Pain is only one of many stimuli that teach the brain how to learn. You talk as though it's the only one. Hormones and neurotransmitters such as:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog ... -happiness

...work on the other side of the coin, rewarding us for making choices that normally teach us behaviors beneficial to survival. It goes without saying that artificial stimulants can harm us by forming addictions and bad habits. It also goes without saying that the simpler the organism, the fewer neurochemicals are involved, as well as pain itself. I see no evidence that simpler organisms feel anything resembling pain.
We talk about all the Conscious Sensory experiences on this thread. We just happen to be talking about Pain now.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:34 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:17 pm
SteveKlinko wrote: You just gave an example of how Pain can affect things.
For that individual who already has evolved pain. It does not effect the evolution of the species.

Here is your religious claim.
SteveKlinko wrote: t would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
That has nothing to do with evolution. Explain to me how a creature experiencing pain will "be guided" evolve one way or the other. Show me each step in the your proposed evolutionary mechanism. You can't, can you, because it is religious crap.

Evolution adapts to the environment. A species does not evolve due to characteristics it has already evolved. Evolution for dummies.jpg
If you take the Pain away from that individual, that has Pain, what would happen to him? His survival rate would no doubt go down and that would most likely affect his Evolutionary future. So having Pain is performing the function of keeping that individual a viable and survivable species. The Conscious Experience of Pain is affecting his evolutionary future.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:41 pm

landrew wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:19 am
Evolution is not guided. There is no plan; no designer, and evolution often takes dead-end turns. Here is an example: Some species become parthogenic, where the male of the species completely disappears. There is a short-term advantage in terms of reproductivity, producing large numbers of clones, but it comes at the expense of genetic diversity, and the species is likely to go extinct as a result.

Another example is the way humans are still transitioning to a fully bipedal stance after several million years of evolution. We have a variety of back and leg problems which other bipedal organisms do not have. As Richard Dawkins termed it, evolution is a blind watchmaker. Everything proceeds by feel, without any pre-planning whatsoever. Evolution is entirely a RESULT of natural selection. Intent is absent from the process.

Edited: to credit the correct author of The Blind Watchmaker.
Pain is not part of a plan. It is just a Conscious Experience that we inexplicably have. Pain plays right into Natural Selection by creating higher survival Rates for species that have Pain. The reason why there is so much Pain and suffering in the World is because of the ultimate survival advantage that Pain provides.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 am
SteveKlinko wrote:. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator.
I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is this creature introducing new specific genes and passing them down, by choosing to eat more vegetation?

You really don't have any idea what evolution is, do you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You don't have any clue about what I just said. Read it again and think a little Deeper about the process of Evolution.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10685
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Poodle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Think a little deeper - your constant, but meaningless, advice. What you said was that a predator could simply decide to eat more grass and leaves. Most carnivores, who don't have your reasoning powers, would be incapable of conceiving of such an action, let alone suddenly developing the digestive system which would allow them to do it.
Research a little more deeply, Steve - it will help your thinking enormously.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm

Poodle wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:03 pm
Think a little deeper - your constant, but meaningless, advice. What you said was that a predator could simply decide to eat more grass and leaves. Most carnivores, who don't have your reasoning powers, would be incapable of conceiving of such an action, let alone suddenly developing the digestive system which would allow them to do it.
Research a little more deeply, Steve - it will help your thinking enormously.
Here's what I said:

If a Predator feels more Pain it will be a disadvantage for it. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator.

The details of what happens with Evolution are not the issue here. The point was that the Conscious experience of Pain most certainly is a Big Factor in Evolution.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10511
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by landrew » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm

SteveKlinko wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 am
SteveKlinko wrote:. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator.
I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is this creature introducing new specific genes and passing them down, by choosing to eat more vegetation?

You really don't have any idea what evolution is, do you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You don't have any clue about what I just said. Read it again and think a little Deeper about the process of Evolution.
Second opinion here. I've read it and I think you're having a tough time unlinking evolution from mental ideation. There is no consciousness, sensory experience or conscious intent in evolution. It's a simple process of natural selection of beneficial genes by removal of less useful genes from the genepool. Thought processes have no effect on the direction of evolution, not even the experience of pain. Nothing. Nada.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 pm

It's actually kind of entertaining listening to you Physicalists try to argue that the Experience of Pain has never had any influence on Evolution. I would go so far as to say the World of Organisms and Animals that we have on this Planet might not even exist without the experience of Pain. The Earth would certainly be a different place without Pain. Maybe all there would be is Vegetation, assuming that Plant life does not have Pain.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm

landrew wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:13 pm
SteveKlinko wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:43 pm
Matthew Ellard wrote:
Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:34 am
SteveKlinko wrote:. If this Predator feels enough Pain while hunting it may stop hunting, and maybe it would start eating more vegetation. This creature would certainly, after many hundreds of generations, Evolve differently than if it continued being a Predator.
I can't stop laughing. :lol: :lol: :lol:

How is this creature introducing new specific genes and passing them down, by choosing to eat more vegetation?

You really don't have any idea what evolution is, do you?
:lol: :lol: :lol:
You don't have any clue about what I just said. Read it again and think a little Deeper about the process of Evolution.
Second opinion here. I've read it and I think you're having a tough time unlinking evolution from mental ideation. There is no consciousness, sensory experience or conscious intent in evolution. It's a simple process of natural selection of beneficial genes by removal of less useful genes from the genepool. Thought processes have no effect on the direction of evolution, not even the experience of pain. Nothing. Nada.
But you are reading more into what I said. I make no Claim of Conscious Intent. I simply say that the mere experience of Pain can increase Survival Rates of Organisms or Animals.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10685
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Poodle » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:37 pm

Well, Steve, if that's what you simply said, would you simply provide the evidence for your assertion? Or do you actually mean that it is your preferred theory?

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:50 pm

Poodle wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:37 pm
Well, Steve, if that's what you simply said, would you simply provide the evidence for your assertion? Or do you actually mean that it is your preferred theory?
The evidence is staring you in the face. Why is there so much Pain on this Planet? It's because Pain was absolutely necessary in order to Evolve the type of creatures we have on the Earth. Do you think that the Evolution of Species on the Earth would be the same without Pain? Do you think that Pain plays no part in Evolutionary outcomes? No one is smart enough to predict what the Life on the Earth would be like without Pain. It would probably only be Plant Life if we assume that Plants don't have Pain.

User avatar
landrew
True Skeptic
Posts: 10511
Joined: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:51 am

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by landrew » Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:20 am

SteveKlinko wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm

But you are reading more into what I said. I make no Claim of Conscious Intent. I simply say that the mere experience of Pain can increase Survival Rates of Organisms or Animals.
Only when it's working properly to enhance the learning experiences of higher organisms. Lower organisms have no need of pain.

Why does any more need to be said, and why do you keep saying it over and over?
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:15 am

Dodgeball.jpg
SteveKlinko wrote: If you take the Pain away from that individual, that has Pain, what would happen to him?
You can't take pain away from a species that has already evolved pain to adapt to its environment. That's as stupid as saying "If we cut the evolved legs off a monkey will it still climb trees?" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
SteveKlinko wrote: His survival rate would no doubt go down
....and how will that make the species add new genes and evolve one way or the other? You still don't have a clue what the theory of evolution is, do you? :lol: :lol:
SteveKlinko wrote:It would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
SteveKlinko wrote: and that would most likely affect his Evolutionary future.
How? Explain exactly the steps that this individual's genes will change and be guided to evolve one way or the other?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 am

SteveKlinko wrote: The evidence is staring you in the face.
Yep. I have asked you ten times to explain the steps where conscious thought introduces new genes and you can't offer any explanation. That's because you don't know what the theory of evolution is an you refuse to read a science book to find out. :lol: :lol:
SteveKlinko wrote: Why is there so much Pain on this Planet? It's because Pain was absolutely necessary in order to Evolve the type of creatures we have on the Earth.
You idiot!!! You forgot about evolved innate behaviour again. Animals evolved without consciousness. Plants were already evolving for 3.3 billion years before first animal evolved. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do you hate science so much that you refuse to read science books on evolution? :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:35 am

SteveKlinko wrote: It's actually kind of entertaining listening to you Physicalists try to argue that the Experience of Pain has never had any influence on Evolution.
No Steve Klinko. Your posts are comedy gold. You cannot explain how your "pain theory" introduces new genes and make a species evolve one way or the other.

What is even funnier, is that your posts on this forum will be as far as your insane crackpot claim will ever go. You can't post your claim on a scientific evolution forum as you will be laughed at for hours. When scientists ask you the exact process for your claim, you will have to answer....."I don't know."
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:40 am

SteveKlinko a month ago wrote:It would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
SteveKlinko yesterday wrote: I make no Claim of Conscious Intent.
.So you have dropped the "direct guidance" religious crap. You really are an idiot. :lol: :lol:

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:21 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:40 am
SteveKlinko a month ago wrote:It would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
SteveKlinko yesterday wrote: I make no Claim of Conscious Intent.
.So you have dropped the "direct guidance" religious crap. You really are an idiot. :lol: :lol:
Since the experience of Pain can affect Evolutionary outcomes, and since Pain is a Conscious Experience, then it can legitimately be said that a Conscious Experience is Guiding Evolution. Pain is obviously not the only Conscious Experience that might be guiding Evolution.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by SteveKlinko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:24 pm

Matthew Ellard wrote:
Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:27 am
SteveKlinko wrote: The evidence is staring you in the face.
Yep. I have asked you ten times to explain the steps where conscious thought introduces new genes and you can't offer any explanation. That's because you don't know what the theory of evolution is an you refuse to read a science book to find out. :lol: :lol:
SteveKlinko wrote: Why is there so much Pain on this Planet? It's because Pain was absolutely necessary in order to Evolve the type of creatures we have on the Earth.
You idiot!!! You forgot about evolved innate behaviour again. Animals evolved without consciousness. Plants were already evolving for 3.3 billion years before first animal evolved. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Why do you hate science so much that you refuse to read science books on evolution? :lol: :lol:
Never said Conscious Thought introduces new Genes. You say that. I say the Conscious Experience of Pain can affect Survival Rates and thus affect Evolutionary outcomes. The Genetic changes are random mutations.

SteveKlinko
Regular Poster
Posts: 972
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:14 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by SteveKlinko » Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm

I have updated the website section "Arguments for the Conscious Mind" Argument 5 to reflect the comments from this thread and other sources:

This argument involves Evolution and the Conscious experience of Pain. I think Evolution could be heavily guided by Conscious Mind sensations. Pain will make an Organism or Animal do almost anything to get rid of it. Animal Evolution might not even work without Pain. Pain is central to our existence today. Pain is perfectly bad. We (every organism on the planet) hate Pain. The misconception that people have is that the firing of Neurons is the Pain. But this is only Neural Pain and is not Conscious Pain. A Neuron is an electro chemical thing. Let’s hook a battery through a switch to a light bulb. You could instruct that whenever the switch is closed and the light is on that this represents Pain. It is analogous to a Neuron firing. You see the light come on and react because you know that's what you are supposed to do. But how long will this last. You will get bored. The fact the light comes on provides no real motivation to act. We need a Conscious Mind to feel Pain when the light comes on. The Pain provides the motivation to survive. You will never get bored. It will always work. There were probably many other types of Conscious Mind experiences that guided Evolution, but Pain was probably one of the first that developed. So we need a separate Conscious Mind concept even for Evolution to work. I think it is possible that the real purpose for Evolution is related to development of the Conscious Mind. The Conscious Mind could be the driving force behind Evolution providing Motivation in the form of the Desire to avoid Bad Experiences and to seek out Good Experiences. This will have the incidental effect of increasing Survival Rates and thus guiding Evolutionary Outcomes.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10685
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Poodle » Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 pm

So you have, Steve. I did spot this in the same section -
"You see the light come on and react because you know that's what you are supposed to do ..." in which you are using a light as an analogy for pain. So you are claiming that you feel the pain, analyse what it is and then choose your appropriate reaction. You sure about that?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Posts: 18351
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:39 am
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Fri Dec 14, 2018 6:32 pm

SteveKlinko wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm
I have updated the website section "Arguments for the Conscious Mind" Argument 5 to reflect the comments from this thread and other sources:
In all respects, just another example of "arm chair theorizing" which was overthrown by the Renaissance development of testing and replication of results. You know: the former being completely bogus.
SteveKlinko wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm
This argument involves Evolution and the Conscious experience of Pain. I think Evolution could be heavily guided by Conscious Mind sensations.
.....but, but, but....this thread is replete with explanations regarding Millions of years of evolution without a pain response. If you move this to evolution gaining another stimulus when conscious of pain did arise.....that would be close I suppose but entirely different.
SteveKlinko wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 3:24 pm
Animal Evolution might not even work without Pain.
...........a --n-- d..........THAT is where I stopped reading.

you don't even need to spend money..............reread this thread and gain a clue.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:07 am

SteveKlinko wrote:. If Pain does not have any affect on Evolutionary Outcomes then why would Pain ever Evolve?
That was hilarious and shows your absolute idiocy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

According to your logic.......

"toe nails must direct and guide evolution otherwise why did we evolve toe nails"

"Brown hair must direct and guide evolution otherwise why did we evolve brown hair?"

Can you see how amazingly stupid and ignorant you are concerning evolution? Are you really this stupid all the time?
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 30516
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Debunk / Inter Mind Religion

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:13 am

Dodgeball.jpg
SteveKlinko, tries to change his claim and wrote: I say the Conscious Experience of Pain can affect Survival Rates and thus affect Evolutionary outcomes. The Genetic changes are random mutations.
SteveKlinko, previously wrote:It would seem that Evolution is directly guided by Conscious experience.
Soooooooo Steve Klinko? Stop dodging and tell us : How does pain "directly guide" between two different gene pool alternatives? You keep running away from explaining that. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
Dimebag
Regular Poster
Posts: 863
Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:05 pm

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Dimebag » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:11 am

How about genetic cases where pain sensations are absent when a person has such a genetic variation, is this a case where pain can affect an organisms chance of passing on its genes? Or is it the gene responsible for this genetic variation which affects the outcome? You have genotype and phenotype, one is the information responsible for passing on the trait, the other is the trait itself. Which has the bigger impact? I would argue the trait itself, as simply having the gene might not be enough to cause its expression, it may require environmental triggers.

User avatar
Poodle
True Skeptic
Posts: 10685
Joined: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:12 pm
Custom Title: Post-bloom
Location: NE corner of my living room

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Poodle » Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:52 am

Poodle wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 4:32 pm
So you have, Steve. I did spot this in the same section -
"You see the light come on and react because you know that's what you are supposed to do ..." in which you are using a light as an analogy for pain. So you are claiming that you feel the pain, analyse what it is and then choose your appropriate reaction. You sure about that?
Well, as Steve has decided not to respond to this (or is reading his encyclopaedia to find out) I'll give the game away. You're not sure, Steve, because it isn't always true. In fact, in common circumstances, your body has registered the pain and taken corrective action before the original pain message has even reached the brain. Before issuing definitive statements (which you are in the general habit of doing) don't you think it would be a good idea to check your facts?

User avatar
Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Posts: 34656
Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 2:44 am
Custom Title: prostrate spurge
Location: Transcona

Re: The Inter Mind

Post by Gord » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:04 am

SteveKlinko wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:23 pm
It's actually kind of entertaining listening to you Physicalists try to argue that the Experience of Pain has never had any influence on Evolution.
I'm sorry, but you just changed your argument from "the conscious experience of pain" to just "the experience of pain".
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?