It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Where no two people are likely to agree.
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Re: It's the Donnydämmerung! (new Trump thread)

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:57 pm

Now here's the kind of NYT story, picked up on and repeated acritically by other news media, that feeds the paranoia of the alt-right and helps to nourish their belief in a conspiracy to "get" Trump.

Granted, Trump is an idiot and his bellicose rhetoric is liable to lead to a disaster, it's also possible that it just may succeed where more restrained diplomacy has failed. North Korea is one place where that may happen. Up to now, news media have been sufficiently cautious to wait and see what happens. That's over now, and Fox News is not going to let this story go until well into 2019.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 12:48 pm
TJrandom wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:40 pm
Woot! CNN one, White House asininities zero. I do hope that democracy, freedom of the press, and the US constitution prevail as the case moves forward.
That's, as said in I, Claudius "some justice." I doubt if Trump will try to challenge this. He's already got way too much on his plate at the moment.
Nah, following the midterms, he's vindictively taken a breather from "governing" and probably has got nothing else to do but to follow his, um, instincts. While he's huddling with his lawyers, anyway..
If he did challenge it, he'd probably prevail in the Supreme Court, on the grounds that abridging freedom of the press means using the government to restrain what can be printed (as Nixon tried to do with the Pentagon Papers) or imposing legal penalties for printing the news after it has appeared. Even in that instance, Trump's SCOTUS would probably declare that the rights guaranteed by the first ten amendments are not absolute* and can be abridged in the name of "homeland security". (They already have, in effect, made that declaration. Bye-bye, fourth amendment!)

*Except, of course, the second amendment, which must never under any circumstances admit any abridgement.
https://www.thedailybeast.com/marsha-blackburns-gut-reaction-to-thousand-oaks-shooting-protect-the-2nd-amendment wrote:
Senator-elect Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) made her priorities abundantly clear...when a Fox News anchor asked her for a reaction to the deadly mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California.

Asked by anchor Sandra Smith what America as a country can do to stop incidents like this one [“This was the deadliest shooting that we’ve seen in this country since Parkland. I mean, what do we do?”], the first thing Blackburn said was: “What we do is say, how do we make certain that we protect the Second Amendment and protect our citizens.”
Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Sat Nov 17, 2018 5:35 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:17 pm
https://www.thedailybeast.com/marsha-blackburns-gut-reaction-to-thousand-oaks-shooting-protect-the-2nd-amendment wrote:
Senator-elect Marsha Blackburn (R-TN) made her priorities abundantly clear...when a Fox News anchor asked her for a reaction to the deadly mass shooting at bar in Thousand Oaks, California.

Asked by anchor Sandra Smith what America as a country can do to stop incidents like this one [“This was the deadliest shooting that we’ve seen in this country since Parkland. I mean, what do we do?”], the first thing Blackburn said was: “What we do is say, how do we make certain that we protect the Second Amendment and protect our citizens.”
These gun nutters are just playing fair. After all, some countries have terrorism fuelled bombings, so the US needs to keep up with shootings. Can’t fall behind on mayhem… :roll:

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Well, the Caravan is going back on the front burner. Trump is tweeting today that this would be a good time to shut the government down so as to get funding for the Wall. He might actually succeed with the current lame-duck Congress. But maybe not. Maybe Republicans have learned to be a bit cautious about their racism. I rather hope he DOES shut the government down. It will be his decision, and Democrats can point out that fiscal irresponsibility has to stop somewhere, and by God, they're going to do their best to stop it at this point. Wait until the first Boomers don't get their Social Security checks, and watch the GOP rats run for the gunwales.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm

Trump keeps threatening a shut down. I vote not to give it to him now as he will have time to recover. Wait till a month before the 2018 election and let Trump shut down the gubment then. 50/50 chance the Trumpsters can then remember the effect when they vote. Hard to calculate how little time they can remember direct effects.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:56 pm

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm
Trump keeps threatening a shut down. I vote not to give it to him now as he will have time to recover. Wait till a month before the 2018 election and let Trump shut down the gubment then. 50/50 chance the Trumpsters can then remember the effect when they vote. Hard to calculate how little time they can remember direct effects.
Man, you are one tough taskmaster!
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Matthew Ellard
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: Big Beautiful Bouncy Skeptic

Post by Matthew Ellard » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:51 am

On a technical point Trump did have to answer Mueller's questions himself . His lawyers can modify what he wrote, but his lawyers could not write the whole lot of answers, themselves, otherwise Trump would have another defense. "I didn't write that" :D

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Trump will resign sometime during the next 12 months, after negotiating the famous "full, free, and absolute pardon" for himself and his family---the same one Nixon got from Ford. Pence, meanwhile is being groomed for the office, attending THREE major Asian summits in the coming year. (This is unprecedented, as far as I know. No Vice-President has ever taken over so much of the President's job. The office is, as Mr. Dooley said, "the second highest office within the gift of the American people...and also the lowest.")

And Trump has never looked this bad before. Here's a nice summary of the situation.

And don't let anybody tell you this last election wasn't a Republican disaster. Orange County, California---that's ORANGE COUNTY, CALIFORNIA!!---now has SEVEN Democratic representatives in Congress and ZERO Republicans. And 2020 has 22 Republican Senators up for re-election, and 11 or 12 Democrats. I think my side is winning. The tallies from the Senate races tell the story: The Republicans gained two seats, while getting 34 million votes. The Democrats got 47 million votes, and lost those two seats anyway. No amount of gerrymandering can continue to beat that kind of popular uprising. The great thing now is to keep it going. I wish Nancy Pelosi would just go quietly.

And I'd like to start now grooming Beto O'Rourke for the top office in 2020.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:30 am

Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:45 pm
I'm puzzled. I think "2018" is a misprint, but I may be missing some subtle humor here. Can you please clarify? That looks like a repost from some weeks ago.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 1:38 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Sun Nov 18, 2018 11:21 am
I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Trump will resign sometime during the next 12 months, after negotiating the famous "full, free, and absolute pardon" for himself and his family---the same one Nixon got from Ford. Pence, meanwhile is being groomed for the office, attending THREE major Asian summits in the coming year. (This is unprecedented, as far as I know. No Vice-President has ever taken over so much of the President's job. The office is, as Mr. Dooley said, "the second highest office within the gift of the American people...and also the lowest.")...
Maybe it's partly because Hair Furor likes the position he's in but doesn't like that "actually governing" thing too much. It cuts into time needed for executive grooming, his business(es), watching TV and twittering, and golfing. He's also finding out his personal...um..charm doesn't really do the tricks he's nevertheless convinced of.

But maybe he's finally been told "do not leave the country". :-P

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Nov 18, 2018 6:50 pm

Linseed Graham sez Whitaker has a solid resume - the Reptilian must like that little scam to relieve veterans and others of their money the crisis-acting AG was involved in quite a bit, eh...

(And he's trying real hard to paint Repugnants as friends of Dems. So whose fault is it now if they won't play. :roll:)

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:44 am

The economy now begins to look a bit shaky. Look for Trump to wait until early 2019, when Democrats are in control of Congress and starting to investigate him, to issue a jeremiad blasting them for ruining the wonderful economy he created, then resign and let Pence pick up the pieces. Remember, you heard it here first!

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am

Seriously now, what programs can the Democrats realistically pass when they take over in January? There's no money left to do ANYTHING. To get money, they'd have to raise taxes on the wealthy, and Mitch McConnell will never allow that to happen. So what can they do? They might as well investigate the hell out of Trump.

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm

The Dems can agree to pay for The Wall in return for making homosexual marriage compulsory for everyone, and Trump would jump at the opportunity.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:39 pm

668 days in office, of those 210 at his own properties (159 golf, and who knows how many days spent on his acting carrier and performances in front of crowds), isn't fond of McCain, the VA, commemorating troops or visiting them overseas. And retired four-star Admiral William McRaven is incompetent...

Which one of them should be raking forests?

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life
Custom Title: Lost in Translation

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:04 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am
Seriously now, what programs can the Democrats realistically pass when they take over in January? There's no money left to do ANYTHING. To get money, they'd have to raise taxes on the wealthy, and Mitch McConnell will never allow that to happen. So what can they do? They might as well investigate the hell out of Trump.
I don’t think it’s about passing anything. Get things like healthcare, immigration reform, tax reform, etc. passed through the House and force the Republican Senate to say no. If not them then Trump. If something gets through remind everyone it was your initiative.

The Democratic House needs to go on the offensive and force Trump and the Senate to react to them.
Question for Groening by a reporter:
“Mr. Groening, what do you say to those who still deny the Holocaust?”

Groening:
“Nothing. They are hopelessly lost.”

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?
:lol: :lol:
viewtopic.php?f=39&t=31585&p=713843#p713843

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:49 pm

It's all good. He :soppy: Nancy Pelosi.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:06 pm

Groening:

Hhhhhhhmmmmmm, is it possible that Carlo Mattogno is the greatest scholar the world has ever known?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:12 pm

Shhh, he's just trying to help out those federal land managing guys. And the lawmakers and insurances who're skittish about controlled burns.

Jeffk 1970
Has No Life

Post by Jeffk 1970 » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm

I do wonder if he would release federal funds to help pay all those people to rake California.

Groening:

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:53 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 7:51 pm
I do wonder if he would release federal funds to help pay all those people to rake California.
nah.
he is gong to defund California Forest management under Federal control, arguing that there is no more forest left to manage.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
. . . there's this caravan in Tijuana . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:06 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:04 pm
Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:46 am
I don’t think it’s about passing anything. Get things like healthcare, immigration reform, tax reform, etc. passed through the House and force the Republican Senate to say no. If not them then Trump. If something gets through remind everyone it was your initiative.

The Democratic House needs to go on the offensive and force Trump and the Senate to react to them.
That is true. Even better would be to lead the way in bipartisanship and get a truly sensible rewrite of ACA. McConnell would, as you say, kill it (along with any chance the Republicans have of winning anything in 2020). I'm all in favor of getting a replacement for Pelosi, but I can live with her as Speaker of the House, provided she does the one sensible thing that will win hearts and minds for the Democrats: including Republicans in the drafting of legislation. But yes, it's probably possible to get some Republicans even to go along with intensive investigations of Trump. That definitely needs to be done.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:05 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
He hasn't told us yet that all those still unaccounted for from towns like "Pleasure" are OK because they've been safely removed and are being well taken care of by our friends from outer space in the Hollow Earth?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:35 am

Jeffk 1970 wrote:
Nah, he'll make Mexico pay for it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:14 am

"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:46 am

:hmm: And they say he isn't well-read... "...to bring forward, for the most distinguished or lucrative stations, candidates who had no other merit than that of...being in some way or other personally allied to him, or of possessing the necessary insignificance and pliancy to render them the obsequious instruments of his pleasure." http://avalon.law.yale.edu/18th_century/fed76.asp (my bold)

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:19 am

Trump finally drove Cenk Uygur insane:

:lol:

Ana sounds like she's going to die from laughter.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Nov 20, 2018 6:19 pm

...and all pre-midterms threats and promises also went up in smoke (no pun intended). No tax cuts, births will still be legal, and the troops are returning home after their valiant battle against deadly strollers on the southern border...

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:23 pm

ElectricMonk wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 12:25 pm
The Dems can agree to pay for The Wall in return for making homosexual marriage compulsory for everyone, and Trump would jump at the opportunity.
Does that mean I get a second wife that swings that way too? Cool.... ;)

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Nov 20, 2018 7:27 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:07 pm
Jeffk 1970 wrote:
. . . there's this caravan in Tijuana . . .
Full employment... no jobs taken...

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:15 pm

The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:55 am

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:40 pm
That is true. Even better would be to lead the way in bipartisanship and get a truly sensible rewrite of ACA.
There is no "sensible ACA" that would actually address the NEEDS/REQUIREMENTS of a fully covered populous. iow: ACA was/is useful ONLY in that it broke the for profit/pro health insurance monopoly that has been in place forever. It could not work as designed or as modified. You don't get affordable coverage of pre-existing conditions without UNIVERSAL COVERAGE. You don't get affordable coverage while maintaining the profit levels (usually stated at around 30% of the total cost of Healthcare in USA) of Insurance Company middleman/profit skimming functions.

ACA was and is HORRIBLE. Its just true however that it is better than status quo ante. We have dozens of WORKING SOCIALIST HEALTHCARE PLANS all over the world with the major distinction being how much of the GDP is spent on it which determines the benefit levels. All experts agree that USA could actually save money while providing UNIVERAL COVERAGE......but the fix is in and too many pigs at the trough are able to hide their fraud until labels of "free choice" or being anti-Obama or anti-Communism/socialism.

ie: for the same reason profiessional sports teams exists or the Richest Man in the World is given tax incentives to make even more money. The voting public is stoopid.

Just look.............
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 am

Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:55 am
ie: for the same reason profiessional sports teams exists or the Richest Man in the World is given tax incentives to make even more money. The voting public is stoopid.

Just look.............
These days, I wonder where the boundary between stupid and insane really is. Consider this article, which was sent to me by my Trump-supporting brother. I know my brother isn't stupid. (He has many patents to his credit, and gets a good income from the royalties.) So, I have to consider that there is some insanity in my family.

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:22 am

Hey, it isn't just Orange County, California that has been swept clean of Republicans. I guess the brilliant idea that came from Trump/McConnell ("Let's put the screws to the blue states. They all have high local taxes to support their socialist programs, so let's put a cap on deductions for local taxes.") wasn't such a good one after all. Turns out, there actually were some Republicans representing those states. Hoist by their own petard! I love it!

ElectricMonk
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by ElectricMonk » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:39 pm

...time for the world's fifth largest economy to cut lose the dead weight that is most of the rest of the US.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:12 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:22 am
Hey, it isn't just Orange County, California that has been swept clean of Republicans. I guess the brilliant idea that came from Trump/McConnell ("Let's put the screws to the blue states. They all have high local taxes to support their socialist programs, so let's put a cap on deductions for local taxes.") wasn't such a good one after all. Turns out, there actually were some Republicans representing those states. Hoist by their own petard! I love it!
And if you look at the numbers (Isthmus), Dems won popular votes in several other states by wide margins. But Gerrymandering gave Reptilians the legislative seats that would normally go with that...

ETA Also:

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:27 pm

(previous record was 8.7 million set by Dems in 1974).
That was Watergate. Sets things in perspective now.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:22 pm

Upton_O_Goode wrote:
Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:18 am
Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:55 am

Just look.............
These days, I wonder where the boundary between stupid and insane really is. Consider this article, which was sent to me by my Trump-supporting brother. I know my brother isn't stupid. (He has many patents to his credit, and gets a good income from the royalties.) So, I have to consider that there is some insanity in my family.
Gotta love some of the comments- deploring that Dems might do exactly what the Repugs have done. Oh dear!