Post by RSS Fetch » Thu May 02, 2019 5:38 pm

Ancient jaw gives elusive Denisovans a face

Source: http://science.sciencemag.org/cgi/conte ... /418?rss=1

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: [Science Magazine] Ancient jaw gives elusive Denisovans a face

Post by Gord » Sat May 04, 2019 4:56 pm

If the jawbone allowed someone to reconstruct the face of a Denisovan, you'd sort of expect there to be an image of that reconstructed face. But I searched the internets and nobody has one. Some website(s) show an image of a reconstructed Neanderthal, like they do here: http://www.sci-news.com/othersciences/a ... 07149.html

But then it says below the image, "Denisovans were probably dark-skinned, unlike the pale Neandertals. The picture shows a Neanderthal man."

Or to put it into analogy form: "Someone drew a very interesting picture of Venus. Here's a drawing of Mars. Isn't it neat? My niece drew that! I'm sure Venus probably looks completely different."
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat May 11, 2019 11:03 am

Or the reconstruction didn't meet the requirements for Chinese exclusivity. They are passionate about showing that they evolved separately from the rest of the human race.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Sat May 11, 2019 1:03 pm

Or, the reproduction, while possible, hasn't been made yet.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

landrew
True Skeptic

Post by landrew » Sat May 11, 2019 4:02 pm

Skin pigment is a barely relevant genetic trait. It can likely appear or disappear from a population fairly quickly in evolutionary terms, perhaps within a few millennia. Polar bears have black skin, and Inuit peoples of the Arctic are fairly dark, because they obtain abundant vitamin D from their diet of fish and seals. It's likely that pale skin developed inland, and within populations that remained covered throughout much of the year, therefore vitamin D deficiencies probably caused evolution to favor those with lighter skin, so that they could make maximum use of the restricted amount of sunlight in northern latitudes.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.