RSS Fetch

Posts from RSS feeds of Earth
Pyrrho
Administrator

RSS Fetch

Post by Pyrrho » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm

I am experimenting with a forum extension that posts from various RSS feeds. "RSS Fetch" is a droid, or maybe a replicant, not a real human being.

Topics posted here will be automatically pruned every 7 days, so if you reply to any of the topics here, you might wish to keep a backup copy somewhere.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Re: RSS Fetch

Post by Gord » Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:59 pm

Pyrrho wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:57 pm
I am experimenting with a forum extension that posts from various RSS feeds. "RSS Fetch" is a droid, or maybe a replicant, not a real human being.
That was my assumption when I replied to him. I mean her. I mean it.
Topics posted here will be automatically pruned every 7 days, so if you reply to any of the topics here, you might wish to keep a backup copy somewhere.
I prefer the concept of my posts disappearing every 7 days. Keeps me spritely or something.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: something

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:12 pm

Spoiler:
Lard, save me from your followers.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:26 pm

Any way we can pick topics? Or throttle back a bit?
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 am

I can change the interval at which RSS feeds are updated. I can also change which RSS feeds are retrieved. Whatever is in a given feed is what we get. Kind of like dinner at Mom's house.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:33 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:08 am
I can change the interval at which RSS feeds are updated. I can also change which RSS feeds are retrieved. Whatever is in a given feed is what we get. Kind of like dinner at Mom's house.
They're outnumbering our posts at this point. Kind of a blizzard.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:39 am

I think you should have "fun" and experiment/do what you want to. I made one response, got nothing back, and assumed this was a bot, not that the name alone was not a tell. This will have the "nudge" to turn a forum for discussion into the form of a newsfeed? And thats ok, I believe oil and water can make some wonderful salad dressings. Its a forum AND a newsfeed.

Further, this is a forum hosted, started, relating to in some fashion an idea called "skeptic." Very little to be skeptical about regarding announcements of some area of scientific inquiry........although quick review shows other oddities as well...

Wasn't Gord doing somewhat the same posting and linking to You Tube videos of things Scientific? Same Idea.....seems worthwhile to me although I personally find it irritating something gets posted and their is no dialectic formed thereafter. Usually, an OP'er will respond to comments. Bots tend to be silent.

and thats ok. Kinda like the Holocaust sub-forum. a nice little wrinkle to note and ponder.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:43 am

Pyrrho wrote: ↑
Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:40 am
Added an "Opt Out RSS" group which folks can join to hide the RSS Fetch subforum.
No one should complain, perhaps not even comment, on "options." Those are always good. More feeds please..........
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 am

I've reset the "fetch" to once per day instead of every 30 minutes, and I've removed the "Odd News" feed which was spamming the premises.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 am

Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 am
... I've removed the "Odd News" feed which was spamming the premises.
Aw shucks – I was hoping to find out who is buried in Grant’s tomb; where Amelia Earhart and Jimmy Hoffa are now living; who shot the sheriff…

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Thu Jan 10, 2019 6:22 am

TJrandom wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:05 am
Pyrrho wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 2:33 am
... I've removed the "Odd News" feed which was spamming the premises.
Aw shucks – I was hoping to find out who is buried in Grant’s tomb; where Amelia Earhart and Jimmy Hoffa are now living; who shot the sheriff…
Jimmy Hoffa is on a remote Pacific island playing cards with John F. Kennedy and Judge Crater, that much I do know because the old guy at the corner store said so back in the '70s.

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Post by Tom Palven » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm

Where's the beef?

As Leslie Nielsen once said, "There's nothing to see here."
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:59 am

So yeah setting it to a 24-hour delay gets a whole passel of RSS headlines at once.

Maybe I'll set it for an hour, that way there won't be as much of a wall of RSS Fetch in the Active Topics list.

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:00 am

Tom Palven wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:54 pm
Where's the beef?

As Leslie Nielsen once said, "There's nothing to see here."