Money is evil

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
Pyrrho
Administrator

Money is evil

Post by Pyrrho » Tue May 18, 2010 1:17 am

So gimme it and I'll make it suffer...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... z0oBhhzAXy

Not sure how well the advertising for psychics will do on that page. Oh well.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Re: Money is evil

Post by fromthehills » Tue May 18, 2010 1:43 am

Once again, I have two conflicting opinions.

Shame on her and good she's going to serve time.

But, hmm, shouldn't this be a precedent for all those that cheat people out of money? Shouldn't the Big Churches be subject to judgment under the same principles? Or any car dealer claiming their car to be the best? Where is the line drawn, where one mountebank may be incarcerated, and others' practices go completely acceptable?

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Tue May 18, 2010 3:42 pm

fromthehills wrote:Once again, I have two conflicting opinions.

For what? Finding a good line that stupid (excuse me, gullible) people fall for?

"May I please check that credit card for too many sixes? Oh, and baby, I promise I will still love you in the morning ... :lol:
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue May 18, 2010 4:32 pm

brauneyz wrote:

For what? Finding a good line that stupid (excuse me, gullible) people fall for?

"May I please check that credit card for too many sixes? Oh, and baby, I promise I will still love you in the morning ... :lol:

Do you see a moral difference between what she did and what Bernard Madoff did?
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Tue May 18, 2010 5:00 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

Without knowing the details, I would say it is possible that the psychic truly believes she has a gift and is helping people. I said 'possible'. No way Bernie believed he was doing anything other than ripping folks off. A wacky believer vs. flat-out liar?
"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves." ~ Bertrand de Jouvenel

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue May 18, 2010 5:13 pm

brauneyz wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

Without knowing the details, I would say it is possible that the psychic truly believes she has a gift and is helping people. I said 'possible'. No way Bernie believed he was doing anything other than ripping folks off. A wacky believer vs. flat-out liar?

I didn't consider the possiblity that she believes it, but we've seen wackier beliefs espoused on the forum.
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Tue May 18, 2010 5:24 pm

Pyrrho wrote:So gimme it and I'll make it suffer...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worldne ... z0oBhhzAXy

Not sure how well the advertising for psychics will do on that page. Oh well.

Do you have a Paypal account?

brauneyz
Persistent Poster

Post by brauneyz » Tue May 18, 2010 5:30 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
brauneyz wrote:
OlegTheBatty wrote:
brauneyz wrote:

I didn't consider the possiblity that she believes it, but we've seen wackier beliefs espoused on the forum.

Daily, it seems. :lol:

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Tue May 18, 2010 5:43 pm

But, hmm, shouldn't this be a precedent for all those that cheat people out of money? Shouldn't the Big Churches be subject to judgment under the same principles? Or any car dealer claiming their car to be the best? Where is the line drawn, where one mountebank may be incarcerated, and others' practices go completely acceptable?

Good question. Simple answer: some cons are prosecuted, some are excepted from prosecution.

Abdul Alhazred
Persistent Poster
Custom Title: Yes that one.

Post by Abdul Alhazred » Tue May 18, 2010 7:45 pm

OK it's not exactly the same, but it reminds me of the so-called Gypsy switch, where the come-on is taking a curse off the money.
Aldous Huxley wrote:A government with a comprehensive plan for the betterment of society is a government that uses torture.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Post by Aztexan » Tue May 18, 2010 8:40 pm

Can you imagine how clogged-up our clogged-up judicial system would be if everybody who gives their money to faith healers, psychics, and televangelists, etc. dragged their sorry asses to court when results weren't produced? That's right. Pretty damn clogged-up.

So what did we learn?

"A fool and his money are soon parted"--Thomas Tusser

"There's a sucker born every minute"--falsely attributed to PT Barnum

"Mom, can you climb into the pond at the mall and get my silver dollar?"--me, then age 6
"No, you shouldn't have been dumb enough to throw it away"--mom, then age 38
trump is Putin's bitch

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed May 19, 2010 12:31 pm

I can see the idea of one person giving their money to anyone, for whatever reason, even if it's because they are easily duped. To gain someone's trust in order to steal from them, as in the counting sixes on the credit card, is stealing. That's why I think it's good she is being convicted. When they are using the example of fooling people into giving her money to obtain that conviction, then I think it sets the precedent for anyone fooling people into giving them money to be brought up on the same charges.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life

Post by OlegTheBatty » Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

fromthehills wrote:I can see the idea of one person giving their money to anyone, for whatever reason, even if it's because they are easily duped. To gain someone's trust in order to steal from them, as in the counting sixes on the credit card, is stealing. That's why I think it's good she is being convicted. When they are using the example of fooling people into giving her money to obtain that conviction, then I think it sets the precedent for anyone fooling people into giving them money to be brought up on the same charges.

Where do you draw the line?
Isn't marketing founded on the principle of fooling people into believing that emotional needs can be filled by buying stuff?

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: My nightmare

Post by Gord » Wed May 19, 2010 3:24 pm

Pyrrho wrote:Not sure how well the advertising for psychics will do on that page. Oh well.

Maybe it can find a home here: 15 Unfortunately Placed Ads
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

heretic
Custom Title: Skeptic Activist

Post by heretic » Thu May 20, 2010 1:50 am

What I was goign to say?
It has opened up a can of worms?
Where does the line end?
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.
(Robert M Pirsig, author of Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance.

Zenskeptic
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: Genie

Post by Zenskeptic » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:06 pm

Money isn't evil. Money is a tool for surviving and helping less fortunate people. People are part evil and some of them exercise that part in the face of plenitude.

HenryJr
BANNED

Post by HenryJr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:57 am

Zenskeptic wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:06 pm
Money isn't evil. Money is a tool for surviving and helping less fortunate people. People are part evil and some of them exercise that part in the face of plenitude.
I agree, money is not evil, it all depends how and where you use it. The biggest issue for the common people these days is that how to earn extra money because things are getting pricier and there are so many cool things available in the market but the resources are very few. most of common people are struggling to get necessary accessories like good mobile phone, personal transport and other gadgets. One way to rearn extra money is to make an affiliate website online and start earning from it. You can

Code: Select all

[url=https://www.revglue.com/bespoke/]setup a free affiliate related website[/url] 
with the help of revglue designs and development company. It is not a quick way to make money but you have to start from the scratch and work your way up through patience and consistency. Once you start earning from it then things will get much easier for you i promise. After that it is up to you whether you spent it on good or bad cause. The money is yours.
Last edited by Pyrrho on Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Converted spam url to plaintext code. Spammer banned.

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Post by Poodle » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:50 am

Oh dear - I had high hopes for you, Henry.

ElectricMonk
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: The Baby-eating Bishop

Post by ElectricMonk » Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am

Guess Henry heard the story from one of the Koch brothers on how to make money:

"One day, when I was a kid, my father gave me an apple. I sold that apple for $5, and bought two apples. I sold those for $10 and bought four apples. And I did that for years and years until, eventually, my father died and left my $300 million."

HenryJr
BANNED

Post by HenryJr » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 am

ElectricMonk wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am

"One day, when I was a kid, my father gave me an apple. I sold that apple for $5, and bought two apples. I sold those for $10 and bought four apples. And I did that for years and years until, eventually, my father died and left my $300 million."
It is not a crime to dream or make future plans. I have started earning a while back but my website got busted by google. Now i am working on a new project. :D

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:20 am

Not here, though.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:21 am

HenryJr wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:10 am
ElectricMonk wrote:
Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:57 am

It is not a crime to dream or make future plans. I have started earning a while back but my website got busted by google. Now i am working on a new project. :D
Pro tip for ya... find some of them terrorists swimming the Rio and hiking for days thru hellish conditions across deserts, and sell them to the US security agencies. It will save them a fortune, fix the crisis... there being so many of them. ;)