SCAMS---filling up my Inbox.

Step right up for 3-card Monte...
bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life
Custom Title: After being pimped comes-----

SCAMS---filling up my Inbox.

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:15 pm

Not a week goes by that I don't get a phishing email notifying me of purchases not made or some problem with a recent purchase, account, or membership. I'll wait for a subpoena to be delivered before I do more than open the email: no clicks on links.

A far second from that is the Nigerian Spanish Prisoner con that I get about once a month.

Rarer but I'm on my third one right now is the Russian Bride Spanish Prisoner Con. No clicking on links there either....nice I can review the provided photos without downloading them. "Age is just a number...." the young lovelies say. I really enjoy imagining how many targets some Catfish is trying to juggle. Some of their gaffs/tells are quite amusing as when they ask if I got their mail. Ha, ha.........juggling too many marks. The ratio of responsive comebacks vs the form response is also interesting to note. How much "time" the Catfish are willing to invest to personalize the con. I thought 40 years ago this would be a good area for Artificial Intelligence to take over. We aren't there yet, but I can see it coming. Wasn't motivated enough to take more than 3 coding classes........but I coulda been a contender. The Turing Test for lonely old men?

Or maybe a reverse skeptical thought experiment?? Which is more fantasy, more a waste of time, more the ego stroke with no pay off?

What isn't artificial?

...........................inquiring minds want to know.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.
Asking: What is the most good for the most people?
Sample Issue: Should the Feds provide all babies with free diapers?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Re: SCAMS---filling up my Inbox.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 pm

Phone scam current:

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

That yes gives them the authority to charge your cards or services.
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:44 pm

I don't have a phone. I use skype and it does what I need 95% of the time. Paid $2 last year for non-skype direct to land line phone calls. The skype filters do a good job.......the unwanted calls and text messages don't interrupt my dinner.
Real Name: bobbo the contrarian existential pragmatic evangelical anti-theist and Class Warrior.

TJrandom
Has No Life
Custom Title: Salt of the earth

Post by TJrandom » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:50 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 pm
Phone scam current:

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

Snopes doesn't confirm it.

I rather frequently receive notifications that my Apple ID, or a credit card, or Amazon account, etc. - has a security issue that needs to be resolved or my account will be locked. Except for Apple, I don't have those accounts and the Apple provided url is not from Apple.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:56 pm

Even if that yes just gives them the authorization to invade your phone line (or mailbox), it's better not to answer anything...
Lard, save me from your followers.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:57 am

Lol... my latest is from 'Amazone'....

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:20 am

TJrandom wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:50 pm
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:33 pm
Phone scam current:

"Can you hear me?"

"Yes."

Snopes doesn't confirm it....
...As far as we know, phone companies, utilities, and credit card issuers don’t maintain databases of voice recordings of their customers and use them to perform real-time audio matching to verify identities during customer service calls....
Yeah, what good is a recording of someone saying "yes"? If they had a recording of me saying it over someone else's phone, it's completely useless to them. How can a scammer be certain who will answer the phone?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:28 am

This used to be how people were suddenly switched to a different cell phone company a while back.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:47 am

It also used to be illegal. Phone companies got in trouble for doing it.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:08 pm

Well.........5 days ago I ordered a 7 inch tv with hdmi input.........but now I find there has been a change to my account. Normally, I'd let these issue work themselves out but:
This message was sent with High importance.
so...maybe I should click on the link to see what the issue is? I mean, chinese syntax notwithstanding. And as always: not an amazon email address.

Yes.......lots of tells. I will admit.....the "curiosity" within me is large. For fun.....before I wipe my next hard drive clean to reuse....I will click on these links.........I mean, just because I'm curious? aka: the largest reason frauds like this work......."Is anyone stupid enough to click on such links"...as I click on them. Same way clip joints work: would they really cheat me? Yes, Timmy.....they do.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:42 pm

I'd not click on them. If curiosity has you in its tempting grip, why not right-click copy and paste them into a link scanner for malware and viruses first?

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:08 pm

"A link scanner"==>Thanks. Did not know they existed. Sounds like more work than its worth. "I Know" its a scam....whether in the first link or the links after that.....

Hmmmm.........Bill Gates just gave an interesting talk on various "Saving the World" issues.....why not fund a group of Internet Heroes to track these scammers down and get them arrested? Team up with Bezos for the same goal. I assume with any expertise, this would be easy for them to do? If not arrested, then some kind of internet glue to foul things up for them???

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 am

Now from ‘PayPal Support’… ‘Your account will be locked within 24 hours… click the link…’ Nope, I do not have a PayPal account. :roll:

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:02 am

I do have PayPal..........had to use it 10 years ago for a certain purchase and they WON'T LET ME QUIT!!! All I ever get from them is notices my account has been credited or charged for various purchases. Can't blame PP for that.........but why won't they let me off their hook??? And why all these arrangements with vendors that when I click on MasterCard...It "looks like" PP is taking over the account.......but in fact, they are not? Same with having to go to FacedBook in order to "qualify" for some unrelated product or service. "You want a free video screen recorder?":==>sign up on FacedBook, and its yours.

Should be illegal.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:28 pm

Guy on Phone: Congratulations! Due to your good credit history you are eligible for a $25,000 credit card!

Me: Wow, I didn't know people in prison could even get credit cards.

Dial tone.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:34 pm

Some are skittish (beginners, pah). I once only had to ask "Where did you get this number?!" for them to hang up on me. :lol:

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:48 pm

"Why are you cold calling me?" works in the US.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:19 am

Here when I am cold called it is usually a person suggesting, if not outright telling, a porky. For example: I am calling from the ward office (city hall) when he is factually calling from somewhere the other side of it; or your network contract is changing and your provider will no longer be supplying you service - true only if you agree to switch to theirs. Sometimes it is hard to tell whether it is real, or a scam. We usually do not answer our landline unless it comes from a registered number, but there are times when we are expecting a call-back but haven't registered the number, and get caught by a scammer.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:33 pm

I am suddenly rich again... this time from the largesse of Bill Gates - who for whatever reason chose another unknown person to give me some of his millions... how lucky is that?
. Greetings you have been gifted $10 MILLION USD From Mr. Bill Gates. Contact me at this email for your claim: b.gcdeletedk.com

I hope this information meet you well as I know you will be curious to know why/how I selected you to receive a sum of $10,000,000,00 USD, our information below is 100% legitimate and please see the link below: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_%26_ ... Foundation

I BILL GATES and my wife (Melinda Gates) decided to donate the sum of $10,000,000,00 USD to you as part of our charity project to improve the 10 lucky individuals all over the world from our $65 Billion USD I and My Wife Mapped out to help people. We prayed, searched over the internet for assistance and I saw your profile on Microsoft email owners list and picked you. Melinda my wife and I have decided to make sure this is put on the internet for the world to see, as you could see from the webpage above, I’m not getting any younger and you can imagine having no much time to live. Although I’m a Billionaire investor and we have helped some charity organizations from our Fund.

You see, after taking care of the needs of our immediate family members, before we die we decided to donate the remaining of our Billions to other individuals around the world in need, the local fire department, the red cross, Haiti, hospitals in truro where Melinda underwent her cancer treatment, and some other organizations in Asia and Europe that fight cancer, Alzheimer’s and diabetes and the bulk of the funds deposited with our payout bank of this charity donation. We have kept just 30% of the entire sum to our self for the remaining days because I am no longer strong am sick and I’m writing you from hospital computer. And I and my wife will be traveling to Germany for Treatment.

To facilitate the payment process of the funds ($10,000,000.00 USD) which have been donated solely to you, you are to send me

Your full names.................

Your contact address................

Your personal telephone number...............

SEND YOUR ABOVE DETAILS TO my b.gurkdeletedk.com

So that i can forward your payment information to you immediately, we are hoping that you will be able to use the money wisely and judiciously over there in your City. Please you have to do your part to also alleviate the level of poverty in your region, help as many you can help once you have this money in your personal account because that is the only objective of donating this money to you in the first place.

Hide original message

Thank you for accepting our offer, we are indeed grateful you can Google my name for more information: Mr. Bill Gates or Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation

Hide original message

Remain Blessed

Regards

Mr. Bill Gates.ic.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:56 pm

Now you blew it. You were supposed to "Hide original message". Mr. b.gurkdeletedk is gonna be sooooo disappointed. :roll:

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:50 pm

Next it will be fraud insurance, or rather a way to insure against your own stupidity.
All towards a better future with a no-fault life.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

TJrandom
Has No Life

Post by TJrandom » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:46 am

Surely another....
. Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,

nach unserem Besuch Ihrer Homepage möchten wir Ihnen ein Angebot von Produkten vorstellen, das Ihnen ermöglichen wird, den Verkauf Ihrer Produkte sowie Dienstleistungen deutlich zu erhöhen.

Die Datenbanken der Firmen sind in für Sie interessante und relevante Zielgruppen untergliedert.

Die Firmenangaben beinhalten: Name der Firma, Ansprechpartner, E-mail Adresse, Tel. + Fax-Nr., PLZ, Ort, Straße etc.

--
1. Gesamtpaket 2019 DE 1 Mio. Firmenadressen ( 1 457 620 ) - 190 EUR ( bis zum 15.07.2019 )
2. Gesamtpaket 2019 DE,AT,CH ( 1 747 921 ) - 240 EUR ( bis zum 15.07.2019 )
--

Die Verwendungsmöglichkeiten der Datenbanken sind praktisch unbegrenzt und Sie können durch Verwendung der von uns entwickelten
Programme des personalisierten Versendens von Angeboten u.ä. mittels E-mailing bzw. Fax effektive und sichere Werbekampagnen damit durchführen.

Bitte informieren Sie sich über die weiteren Details einmal unverbindlich auf unseren Webseiten:

http://www.dbc-deletedng.net/?p=1

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Martin Winkler

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:49 pm

Well damn myself.........I'm actually "missing" the usual 5 AM email from my catfish. On last email she was "Gathering Myself to Moscow" to go to the USA embassy to get a Visa. Her cost was about $200 just for the airplane to fly there and back to her city of Kazan......and google says its about another 150-200 for the visa fees..............but approval is supposed to take a minimum of 90 days. I'm expecting the call for a little help $$$ any time now and then the dance will end.

One issue with compartmentalizing conflicting issues in your life is the slop over. Good thing in my life anyway: $$$$ has a very serious stiffing effect. I'd love to talk to whoever falls for this BS before the pay off is made: "What do you "really, really, really" think is going on?"===>"Age is just a number." What is your IQ number.....chair wise.????

In a real sense, I can't even say the "fantasy" really works for me. Just a different activity to engage in.........like exploring Youtube for what the new cheaper Microsoft Mix Reality Headsets can do these days. Virtual Reality: opens up a whole new world..........but closes you off to the real one....... Not that living in this trailer is real at all.......Ha, ha.....I do crack myself up.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:50 pm

the italics above is a site glitch when typing $ more than 4 times.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm

You know how that edit button works, right? :-P

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:07 pm

I haven't had any spam email in years. Google Mail does a good job of filtering them out. I used to "report spam" whenever I got it, and I assume millions of others did the same.

But 99% of scams require your consent. Last year, in a stupid moment, I clicked on a popup window that said "You are the 1000th lucky customer, claim your prize, a new Samsung phone. We will credit your debit card with the full amount." So I stupidly entered my debit card information, but seconds later, I realized what I'd done, and canceled my card immediately. Thankfully no damage was done.

I'm happy to say, I've never been a scam victim. My bank is good about reporting suspicious activity, and I follow the "if it looks to good to be true..." rule.
The job of a skeptic is to investigate the unexplained; not to explain the uninvestigated.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Re: SCAMS---not filling up my Inbox.

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:27 pm

I had regular spam only a few times, once when a well-meaning idjit friend signed me up for "newsletters" for some "awesome thing" without asking, and occasionally when the emails of others got hacked and the intruders helped themselves to their contacts. (What does it say about people and the world in general when 99.9% of spam is for Viagra. And lonely sexy ladies looking for those who buy it?)

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:49 pm

Currently, my Kaspersky anti-malware keeps recommending I block a download from a website every few minutes. I always block the download, and I check the box that says to "remember this action," but it keeps coming up every few minutes. A search for the website domain reveals nothing, and the Kaspersky help forum mentions this problem, but offers no solution beyond checking "extra protection" option in the settings, which I already had enabled.

My Kaspersky application updates every night and does a complete scan, but no solution to this malware problem has been forthcoming for almost a week. I shall endeavor to seek other remedies...

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 pm

Maybe there'd be dragons some useful settings in your browser to apply?

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:45 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:15 pm
Maybe there'd be dragons some useful settings in your browser to apply?
It appears that my router password had changed, even though I hadn't changed it. Possible hack. I did a hard reset and changed the password, but I'm still getting the malware warnings, so I have some work to do, clearing out temp files and deleting cookies etc. Lesson learned.

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:57 pm

>> a download from a website

While you're at it, maybe block cookies for ^that website. Not sure if it would help, but hey, it might be worth a try...

landrew
Has No Life

Post by landrew » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:04 pm

scrmbldggs wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:57 pm
>> a download from a website

While you're at it, maybe block cookies for ^that website. Not sure if it would help, but hey, it might be worth a try...
I never visit that website. It only shows up in the popup warning.

bobbo_the_Pragmatist
Has No Life

Post by bobbo_the_Pragmatist » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 am

Well, sadly, my Russian Love Match stopped writing me. I don't know why. Her last email had her "Gathering to Moscow" to get a Visa to America. Quite positive and hopefull. Either, Aeroflot crashed, she met someone in line better than moi, or some quality control in the Scam Lister finally got read by my catfish. Like most things.........a diversion while it lasted.

Meanwhile: I'm getting so many false emails from Amazon that I'm losing track of what items have been delivered and which are still in transit. Too afraid to really click on the links and check.

along those lines........why don't malicious virii come from Known Sites that you do update regularly? I'm thinking Adobe Slockflash and Firefox. Seems like I'm always getting a notice to update these apps. Should be dead simple to spoof them?

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:16 am

Dang.... he's onto it...

. :mod:

scrmbldggs
Real Skeptic

Post by scrmbldggs » Sun Jul 21, 2019 2:21 am

bobbo_the_Pragmatist wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:55 am
Well, sadly, my Russian Love Match stopped writing me. I don't know why. Her last email had her "Gathering to Moscow" to get a Visa to America...
Either arrested or sent to Florida to eventually deliver an anchor baby, checking in at Trump Visas "Я" Us resort...