"Other People's Rejection Letters"

Read any good books lately?
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

"Other People's Rejection Letters"

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Sat Feb 02, 2019 2:21 pm

This is edited by Bill Shapiro and was apparently rejected by at least one publisher. It takes only a couple of hours to read. It consists of authentic reproductions of the actual letters people have sent and received. Most of them are just kind of sad, but a few cause you to sit up and take notice.

Such as, the discharge hearing on one Pvt. James Hendrix at Fort Campbell, KY in 1962. The report shows him utterly heedless of his duties as a soldier, and remarks that he plays the guitar "or so he claims." (Ya think?)

It also contains a letter from the censors to Warner Bros., saying what changes would be needed in Casablanca: must not EVER suggest that Renault was selling visas to girls in exchange for the rental of their bodies (that line "show her in" must be removed), must not imply that Ilsa was carrying on with Rick while married to Laszlo (I believe they wrote around that one by having her believe Laszlo was dead), and so on...

It contains a superb letter from an editor to Gertrude Stein in 1932, mocking her writing style while rejecting her manuscript, and a letter from F. Scott Fitzgerald to his daughter Scottie that reads as if it was transcribed from a voice mail message Alec Baldwin might have left for his daughter, and a letter from Jackie Robinson to President Eisenhower in 1957, and Eleanor Roosevelt's letter of resignation from the Daughters of the American Revolution, and a letter to Andy Warhol, thanking him for his interest in the museum while rejecting his offer, and much more. Fun, though much of it is dull.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: "Other People's Rejection Letters"

Post by Monster » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:47 pm

Link?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.