Terrific action/mystery novel: The Bishop's Pawn

Read any good books lately?
Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Terrific action/mystery novel: The Bishop's Pawn

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:01 pm

It features agent Cotton Malone, who apparently is part of a series. This is the first novel I've read in the series, by Steve Berry.

The main action in this one takes place in 1998, but it's all based on a mixture of real and fictional events involved in the 1968 assassination of Martin Luther King, Jr. It moves back to 1967 to present (fictionalized) FBI documents and at the end, back to 2018 to present a fictionalized surprise ending that explains all the documents. In between there is lots of action of the type I hunger for (which is why I'm a dedicated addict of Lee Child's Jack Reacher adventures). I won't put in any spoilers; I'll just say that I read the thing compulsively from the first page, and those who share my appetite for perils-of-Pauline type continuous action adventures and derring-do by a larger-than-life hero are bound to like it.

If you share my politics and my undying hatred of J. Edgar Hoover, you'll like it even better.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)

Tom Palven
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: Terrific action/mystery novel: The Bishop's Pawn

Post by Tom Palven » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:00 am

I've been looking for new authors to try out, so I just ordered the first in the Cotton Malone series, The Templar Legacy, used, from Amazon.

My favorite author at the moment is Elizabeth George. The first novel in her Inspector Linley series is A Great Deliverance.

I also enjoyed her 4-book young adult The Edge of... series, which I highly recommend to teenagers.
If one can be taught to believe absurdities, one can commit atrocities. --Voltaire

Upton_O_Goode
Has More Than 5K Posts
Custom Title: Morgan de Veldt

Re: Terrific action/mystery novel: The Bishop's Pawn

Post by Upton_O_Goode » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:09 pm

Tom Palven wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:00 am
I've been looking for new authors to try out, so I just ordered the first in the Cotton Malone series, The Templar Legacy, used, from Amazon.

My favorite author at the moment is Elizabeth George. The first novel in her Inspector Linley series is A Great Deliverance.

I also enjoyed her 4-book young adult The Edge of... series, which I highly recommend to teenagers.
Thanks, I'll see if that's in the library. I finally got tired of JD Robb's series about Eve Dallas (even the graphic sex between Eve and Roarke got so formulaic that I began skipping over those passages). I've missed a few of the Reacher novels, but I'll soon run out of them.

Another writer of wonderful ironic humor is Jonas Jonasson. Good place to start is "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out a Window and Disappeared." The dicey scenes with the hero in danger always wind up fizzling out in a most amusing way.
“It is certainly sad and regrettable that so many innocent people died…Stalin was absolutely adamant on making doubly sure: spare no one…I don’t deny that I supported that view. I was simply not able to study every individual case…It was hard to draw a precise line where to stop.”

Vyacheslav Mikhailovich Skryabin (“Molotov”)