"The Bet' by Paul Sabin

Read any good books lately?
city slicker

"The Bet' by Paul Sabin

Post by city slicker » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:48 pm

I recommend this book to those who follow the continuing efforts of the "Doom and Gloom" people. Remember, this effort to predict the world is following apart has been going on over the centuries.
I first became aware of this trend by reading a book published in 1984 by Charles Maurice and Charles Smithson called "The Doomsday Myth:10,000 years of Economic Crises."
I am very interested in the psychological reasons these "Doom and Gloom" people have.

Monster
Has More Than 5K Posts

Re: "The Bet' by Paul Sabin

Post by Monster » Mon Sep 30, 2013 12:37 pm

city slicker wrote:I recommend this book to those who follow the continuing efforts of the "Doom and Gloom" people. Remember, this effort to predict the world is following apart has been going on over the centuries.
I first became aware of this trend by reading a book published in 1984 by Charles Maurice and Charles Smithson called "The Doomsday Myth:10,000 years of Economic Crises."
I am very interested in the psychological reasons these "Doom and Gloom" people have.
What exactly is this book about?
Listening twice as much as you speak is a sign of wisdom.

city slicker

Post by city slicker » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:58 pm

This book describes the world- views on population and resource scarcity that have beenprevalent since the publication in1968 of Paul Ehrlich's" The Population Bomb" which claimed that the overpopulation of the earth would result in the earth's destruction by the year 2000. Ehrlich, a Stanford professor, was essentially an neoMalthusian.
"The Bet" title refers to the 10 year wager Ehrlich made with economist Julian Simon over the earth's future.
It was a ten year bet made on the price of certain natural resources during the 10 year period. Simon won the bet.
It is especially interesting now because those who supported Ehrlich are still at it. After the" Population Bomb", these folks lamented nuclear proliferation and said we would all be destroyed by nuclear bombs or the following "nuclear winter" that would result.(Helen Calldicott) Now they are riding the "Global Warming" horse.
What makes otherwise sane people latch onto these doom and gloom ideas?
I think the author of the "Bet" would make a good speaker for the Sceptic Society. Don't bet on that, however, as some of the leaders of the society would have simultaneous heart attacks at the lecture.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:25 pm

city slicker wrote:Now they are riding the "Global Warming" horse.
What do you mean? Like this?

[ytube][/ytube]
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

city slicker

Post by city slicker » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:00 pm

Thanks for linking the interview. Frankly, if I had known how boring this guy was, I would have not read the book.
"The Bet" is pure history, and I really enjoyed reading it.
Off topic: anyone remember the doom of "peak oil". Today the WSJ reported the US is poised to be the biggest energy producer in the world. This is another example of hysterical thinking.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:46 pm

city slicker wrote:Frankly, if I had known how boring this guy was, I would have not read the book.
:lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?