I, Robot

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

I, Robot

Post by Lausten » Wed Jul 10, 2013 1:37 pm

I wish I would have I, Robot a long time ago. I was a little disappointed there wasn’t more action, but it still keeps you guessing. It was actually an interesting way to explore ethical and religious questions. With some humor, it explores what happens when you try to create a simple set or rules and program sentient beings to follow them.

First, they’ll make a religion out of it no matter what you do, and you won’t be able to penetrate their logic. Their premises will be wrong, that some central computer is The Master, but their logic will tight. Next they’ll get stuck in ethical dilemmas and be unable to figure what to do. Finally, they’ll take over by allowing everyone else to live decently, just not able to make decisions that have much of an affect.

The interesting question unanswered in the end; is this what we want? Do we want leaders who adhere to a perfect set of rules perfectly? Even if that means our participation in creating our future becomes illusory?
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: I, Robot

Post by JO 753 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 5:28 am

Lausten wrote:I wish I would have read I, Robot a long time ago. I was a little disappointed there wasn’t more action, but it still keeps you guessing. It was actually an interesting way to explore ethical and religious questions. With some humor, it explores what happens when you try to create a simple set or rules and program sentient beings to follow them.

First, they’ll make a religion out of it no matter what you do, and you won’t be able to penetrate their logic. Their premises will be wrong, that some central computer is The Master, but their logic will be tight. Next they’ll get stuck in ethical dilemmas and be unable to figure what to do. Finally, they’ll take over by allowing everyone else to live decently, just not able to make decisions that have much of an affect effect.

The interesting question unanswered in the end; is this what we want? Do we want leaders who adhere to a perfect set of rules perfectly? Even if that means our participation in creating our future becomes illusory?
Back to 3rd grade, Mr. Lausten.

I red sum uv the books a long time ago. Good consepts, but Azimovz style wuz kinda thredbare. I think the movie iz actually better than the books.

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:49 am

They're very formulaic.

Someone gives a robot an order that sends them into an endless logic loop regarding the Laws of Robotics, the Robotic Psychologist comes along and uses logic to break the loop and restore order to the universe.

One must keep in mind he was writing short stories for periodic magazines to help pay his way through university. I think the going rate at the time, according to one of his autobiographical essays I've read, was 1c per word. So he hit on a popular story, and just kept changing the scenery and characters.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

kennyc
Has No Life
Custom Title: The Dank Side of the Moon

Post by kennyc » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:39 am

Major Malfunction wrote:They're very formulaic.

Someone gives a robot an order that sends them into an endless logic loop regarding the Laws of Robotics, the Robotic Psychologist comes along and uses logic to break the loop and restore order to the universe.

One must keep in mind he was writing short stories for periodic magazines to help pay his way through university. I think the going rate at the time, according to one of his autobiographical essays I've read, was 1c per word. So he hit on a popular story, and just kept changing the scenery and characters.

Yep, the Golden Age. :D
Kenny A. Chaffin
Art Gallery - Photo Gallery - Writing&Poetry - The Bleeding Edge
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:24 pm

JO 753 wrote:
Lausten wrote:I wish I would have read I, Robot a long time ago. I was a little disappointed there wasn’t more action, but it still keeps you guessing. It was actually an interesting way to explore ethical and religious questions. With some humor, it explores what happens when you try to create a simple set or rules and program sentient beings to follow them.

First, they’ll make a religion out of it no matter what you do, and you won’t be able to penetrate their logic. Their premises will be wrong, that some central computer is The Master, but their logic will be tight. Next they’ll get stuck in ethical dilemmas and be unable to figure what to do. Finally, they’ll take over by allowing everyone else to live decently, just not able to make decisions that have much of an affect effect.

Back to 3rd grade, Mr. Lausten.

I red sum uv the books a long time ago. Good consepts, but Azimovz style wuz kinda thredbare. I think the movie iz actually better than the books.
:facepalm:

Lausten: "I say, I went to the well the other day and it was quite dry."
JO 753: "Yu is toking wrongle!"

:lol:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Post by JO 753 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:44 am

Formuliac! that the wrd I wuz looking for!