Personality Plus

Read any good books lately?
Galactus

Personality Plus

Post by Galactus » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:39 pm

I'm interested in anyone's thoughts about the book "Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself", by Florence Littauer.

A friend told me it is essential, and I have started reading it, but it just seems ridiculous. It basically states that we can better deal with others by being able to decode their personalities, which are one of four types. I won't go further into it at the moment. But the whole thing seems very unscientific, and I have heard of this idea for many years, and I found nothing on the Internet debunking it. That is strange to me, because the book seems to be written by some old christian housewife who thought the answers to her relationship problems could be solved if she could just take each personality trait and classify it into one of four categories.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts and observations on this.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Personality Plus

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:25 am

This sounds slightly famliar, but I'm too lazy to look it up. What are the four personality types?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:52 am

According to The Sun, and every other reliable media source, there are twelve.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:14 am

Those are zodiacs, Malf.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Sat Feb 23, 2013 5:12 pm

Galactus wrote:I'm interested in anyone's thoughts about the book "Personality Plus: How to Understand Others by Understanding Yourself", by Florence Littauer.

A friend told me it is essential, and I have started reading it, but it just seems ridiculous. It basically states that we can better deal with others by being able to decode their personalities, which are one of four types. I won't go further into it at the moment. But the whole thing seems very unscientific, and I have heard of this idea for many years, and I found nothing on the Internet debunking it. That is strange to me, because the book seems to be written by some old christian housewife who thought the answers to her relationship problems could be solved if she could just take each personality trait and classify it into one of four categories.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts and observations on this.
The Forer Effect, AKA Barnum Effect. A type of confirmation bias.