The atheist in the (final) foxhole...

Read any good books lately?
SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Re: The atheist in the (final) foxhole...

Post by SweetPea » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:45 pm

Chachacha wrote:
SweetPea wrote:
Chachacha wrote:
nmblum wrote:'Mortality" by the unrepentant, clear minded to the last, Christopher Hitchens, finished this morning.
7 Essays written after his diagnosis of esophageal cancer... and some notes and fragments from his terminal -care room in a Houston cancer research facility...
Trenchant, aware, enviably courageous .... not a sentimental word or suggestion of pious regret in the mix...
And a stimulating read...

NMB
I was thrilled when Christopher pre-empted the ghouls by disavowing anything he might say which could be interpreted as a change in his views as his disease progressed.

He discusses that more in his last interview - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in which his "dearest friend" interrupts him to give the, "You can't know" agnostic speech.

Dying, Christopher is capable of accepting reality; watching Christopher die, his friend appears to me to be unable to bear the thought that when Christopher dies, he is no more, and there is nothing more.
It's odd that great joy is not felt when people go to heaven to meet up again on that glorious day.
What is odd to me is that you believe in heaven, but it's lovely that you believe Christopher went there.
Oh, sorry. Forgot to add a "Beware the facetiousness" sign.
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 6:50 pm

Chachacha wrote:
nmblum wrote:'Mortality" by the unrepentant, clear minded to the last, Christopher Hitchens, finished this morning.
7 Essays written after his diagnosis of esophageal cancer... and some notes and fragments from his terminal -care room in a Houston cancer research facility...
Trenchant, aware, enviably courageous .... not a sentimental word or suggestion of pious regret in the mix...
And a stimulating read...

NMB
I was thrilled when Christopher pre-empted the ghouls by disavowing anything he might say which could be interpreted as a change in his views as his disease progressed.

He discusses that more in his last interview - " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - in which his "dearest friend" interrupts him to give the, "You can't know" agnostic speech.

Dying, Christopher is capable of accepting reality; watching Christopher die, his friend appears to me to be unable to bear the thought that when Christopher dies, he is no more, and there is nothing more.
I'm not sure where the myth that those near death from the exhaustion of old age, or the actually dying, uniformly repent of their non-belief in god, declare egregious error, and ask for absolution... "get me a PRIEST!!//".... the deathbed as the final foxhole.
I have never seen it... and I haven't even heard it from what I would consider a rational, reliable source.
The very idea as a universal truism is more reminiscent of sappy Hollywood movies than of anything having to do with actual experience...
The ideationally shaky, those who like gamblers like to hedge their bets, perhaps.

But I come, as I have mentioned before, from atheist loins.... with atheists to the the left of us, and atheists to the right of us.
And I have never heard of anyone actually either seeing god or wanting to at the end.
Both my parents, life long non-believers, went to their ends, more concerned with what was happening in the world around them then in anything remotely resembling interest in their fates in a possible afterlife, or in the questionable possibility that they were about to meet their reputed maker.
In fact the subject didn't come up..
And in my fathers case he had had had a political metamorphosis from radical to rather entrenched conservative..
But still no mention of god.... heaven , hell, reincarnation.. or "see ya on the other side," in any of its now omnipresent variations.
"Here today, gone today..." it's over, and from the point of view, of nature, and survival of the species and Planet Earth, that's nothing but good...

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

moth1ne
Frequent Poster
Custom Title: theyscanhearsmythots

Post by moth1ne » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:09 pm

SweetPea wrote:You wrongly assume that there is a federal department of education in my country.
SweetPea wrote: I did not say that there is not a dept. of education in my country.
So does your country have a Department of Education or not? Why it came up, I haven't the slightest idea. I also do not find NMB's posts dishonest, unconventional perhaps, but still honest.
"Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence." -Carl Sagan, The Demon Haunted World

SweetPea
Has No Life
Custom Title: Too Cute

Post by SweetPea » Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 pm

moth1ne wrote:
SweetPea wrote:You wrongly assume that there is a federal department of education in my country.
SweetPea wrote: I did not say that there is not a dept. of education in my country.
So does your country have a Department of Education or not? .
It does not have a federal dept. There are departments of education - similarly, I would suppose, as do other countries, where individual states or municipalities or regions have responsibility.
How do the Deniers get so lucky?
http://www.skepticforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=24129" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;