Goodbye to all that?

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Goodbye to all that?

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:30 pm

One day this will represent an historic document, a moment in time between the appearance of the Guttenberg printing press, and that of the various e-devices that are increasingly prevalent.:
http://undergroundnewyorkpubliclibrary.com/

Alas, one can no longer look about on public transportation, or terminals, doctor's waiting rooms, and measure oneself by the tastes and choice in reading matter of one's fellows...
I already miss, even as I clutch my I-pad/Kindle/Nook the possibility of noting a kindred (and thus infinitely admirable) spirit....
So okay, while is wasn't Dostoevsky or Kurt Vonnegut, or even Danielle Steele that brought them together.... still......an uncle of mine once observed, pursued, and eventually married a woman who had attracted his attention on the I.R.T. (New York City subway line) because she was reading the racing form... and at 7:30 a..m.
Aha!! beautiful and the rare female who shared his abiding passion!!
Not quite made in print heaven, but the "reading room" of the I.R.T. as it happens was (and might still be) a more realistic meeting place: their marriage lasted 50 years (interrupted only by the dislocations caused by their occasional bankruptcies).
Anyway, for what it is worth, I AM a believer!!
In the power of the printed word to make us take note of one another.... and am sorry (but accepting) to see it become less available for comparison.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Goodbye to all that?

Post by Aztexan » Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:27 pm

Good-bye to the printing press
you enlightened us, you were progress
But can I hold you liable
for that goddamn bible?
cuz of you we're all in this damn mess
:P
trump is Putin's bitch

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:07 pm

Aztexan wrote:Good-bye to the printing press
you enlightened us, you were progress
But can I hold you liable
for that goddamn bible?
cuz of you we're all in this damn mess
:P
The linings of our clouds are more lead than silver....
So it goes...
But while the printing press brought a lot of bad news in the form of supposedly holy writ, it also meant that the exclusivity of biblical lore and mandate in the hands of church hierarchy and clergy ended with Guttenberg.
Adter the appearance of the press, laymen could (given the restrictions of caste and class) could access the bible to read and judge on their own.
So one COULD say that the printing press and the accompanying spread (however narrow) of literacy led to the beginning of overt skepticism.
Slow, for sure, but alive.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:14 am

http://www.lulu.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; online will print books for you. I was going to say "I've bought a couple of books that way," but I can only remember one for certain off the top of my head.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post by Bunyip » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:45 am

Alas, one can no longer look about on public transportation, or terminals, doctor's waiting rooms, and measure oneself by the tastes and choice in reading matter of one's fellows...
I can. But then I go to a doctor my age with a lot of older patients like me. Many of us still read printed material.

Yes, I have a Kindle, with dozens of books on it,but still prefer paper books.
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.