Darwin!!... And C-H-E-A-P!!

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Darwin!!... And C-H-E-A-P!!

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:34 pm

I'm almost sorry to suggest this, because I hate the idea of the disappearing, bound paper that makes an actual book that can be held, cherished, passed on to one's kid's, friends, and even sometimes polemical adversaries...BUT.. my own failing eyesight has prompted my children to provide mw with every modern device known to man.... huge computer screens, iPad, nook, kindle..
How I would like to say I HATE them, but the truth is that they are rather wonderful... and belatedly I discovered THIS:
That Amazon has what appears to be an almost endless list of important e-books books (including various bibles) that are absolutely FREE.. or r for nominal cost.. often .99..
And FREE includes the various works of Charles Darwin, including "Origin of Species..." and the wonderful and even simply entertaining "Voyage of the Beagle!!.
Ta-da!! For me it means that I will always have the reference on hand... on busses, trains, planes, and even restaurants... with which to challenge the occasional Yahoo, the hapless seat or table mate unfortunate enough to share with me a belief in Creation or "Intelligent Design..."
And a Bible as well: "what do you MEAN as Jesus said in Matthew Whatever Whatever?"
"What about what he said in John There and Then, which I happen to have right HERE?"

Every cloud has a silver lining.
So if you have one of the buggers, check out how you can read those books you've always MEANT to read ("MOBY DICK" anyone?) but found too heavy to actually pick up...

And for FREEEEEE!!

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

xouper
True Skeptic

Re: Darwin!!... And C-H-E-A-P!!

Post by xouper » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:48 pm

Many local libraries also offer the same free ebooks for download.

They also offer many newly published ebooks that can be read on your handheld device or computer, although they tend to have an expiration date of 7 or 14 days.

For example, I just downloaded John Grisham's "The Litigators" (2011) in .epub format from my local library.

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 11:31 pm

xouper wrote:Many local libraries also offer the same free ebooks for download.

They also offer many newly published ebooks that can be read on your handheld device or computer, although they tend to have an expiration date of 7 or 14 days.

For example, I just downloaded John Grisham's "The Litigators" (2011) in .epub format from my local library.
I am not only something of a Luddite (my connection to matters digital is involuntary) but also (and I hate it!!) a sentimentalist..... I still get goosebumps when I come across a published treasure....
"The Strand" bookstore in New York City, was in my imagination the only possible vision of heaven....
With public libraries as heaven's branches....

My own public library now is a small gem, .architecturally lovely, and comfortable enough to attract an army of people who have nothing to do but read magazines all day....
It has a computer section for those who need to avail themselves of the service, and what seems like very competent and MODERN librarians who can actually help users negotiate the shoals of cyber connection.
What it doesn't have is books!
Which is to say that it has fewer books of serious worth and referential use than I have in my personal library...
What it DOES have (it is Hollywood after all) is the most astounding collection of DVDs... every film ever made, and if you can't find what you want, the librarians will happily scout about in the "cyberstacks" of other branches to try to find a copy for you
I have now seen 6 versions of Dracula in four languages, all the Ed Wood films, and everything starring Louise Brooks (silent) and/or directed by Anthony Mann...(VERY noisy)..
Ditto Sam Peckinpah.
So thank you for telling me about the library e-book service.
I will check it out tonight on my way home.
What a wonderful world!!
For while this entry may seem frivolous, the free Pulbic Library... like the FREE Public School, with the helpful librarian who leads us to the products of our civilization is one of the requirements of egalitarian democracy.....

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Bunyip
Regular Poster

Post by Bunyip » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:58 am

There are thousands of books now in the public domain and free to download. (a 'nominal cost' does not equal 'free'),

Only a matter of Googling.
Man is not so much a rational animal as a rationalising one.

xouper
True Skeptic

Post by xouper » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:23 am

One of my long time favorite places for free ebooks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gutenberg.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 am

Bunyip wrote:There are thousands of books now in the public domain and free to download. (a 'nominal cost' does not equal 'free'),

Only a matter of Googling.
Thanks so much...
And for making the meaning of "nominal" clear to me.
Bur "OR" (as in "free or at nominal cost") DOES count.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:06 am

xouper wrote:One of my long time favorite places for free ebooks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Gutenberg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.gutenberg.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
And a more sincere thanks for these... what a treasure trove.
How behind the times I have been, and how much I have missed of what is available to enjoy on that poor device about which I have been, heretofore, so dismissive, and even abusive.
Good lesson: sometimes NOT jumping on a bandwagon at all is as foolish as trying to be first to leap: the difference is in the details.

NMB
Skepticism:

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:31 am

I'm at the cool age where I embrace all that is digital, but I know books; my wife wants paper. The Borders shut down in her hometown; she was crushed, where I didn't notice.

Another unfinished thought from a thread on the regular forum; I read more on the internet, now, and very little print. Also, I listen to audiobooks more, now. Novels. I can listen to spy novels, or the Thrones stuff, while doing other things. Shame on me, perhaps, but I like it. It gives me time to do things I can't do while working, and also feeds the head with literature. Where I used to read books, and that's fine, I clean guns to all kinds of audi stuff. I've done full 1911 builds, and trigger jobs while listening to books that I would have just been reading.

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Post by Donnageddon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 am

Another source for free ebooks. Most of these are from Project Gutenburg, but they are normally better formatted, and given loving care by their uploaders.

You will even find a few uploaded by yours truly.

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Edit: here is an easier way to search. Just choose your format, genre, and author (by alphabet)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks ... t=dateline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My name is not Donna.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:21 am

Donnageddon wrote:Edit: here is an easier way to search. Just choose your format, genre, and author (by alphabet)

http://www.mobileread.com/forums/ebooks ... t=dateline" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Got any by Montague Summers (1880–1948)?
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:51 pm

fromthehills wrote:I'm at the cool age where I embrace all that is digital, but I know books; my wife wants paper. The Borders shut down in her hometown; she was crushed, where I didn't notice.
I'm with your wife on this one, although I realize that it is sentimentality rather than a cool, clear eye that makes me notice and feel bad that the Border's in my neighborhood has gone the way of the small, personal bookstore that it helped to wipe out.
But I do (with the help I'm getting here and elsewhere) get it: that the digital revolution doesn't mean that people are reading less - and isn't reading the point? - but are actually reading more, from more sources, and are geeing informed and educated in many more varied ways, including what what was once inside the covers of books .
Another unfinished thought from a thread on the regular forum; I read more on the internet, now, and very little print. Also, I listen to audiobooks more, now. Novels. I can listen to spy novels, or the Thrones stuff, while doing other things. Shame on me, perhaps, but I like it. It gives me time to do things I can't do while working, and also feeds the head with literature. Where I used to read books, and that's fine, I clean guns to all kinds of audi stuff. I've done full 1911 builds, and trigger jobs while listening to books that I would have just been reading.
I'm not sure what there is to be ashamed of: at one time in what we laughingly refer to as "the good old day's," reading at all, in fact higher education was the privilege of the leisure class, which is to say people who had enough time to read without interruption or the pressing need to do other things.
Like reaping and sowing.
Now we can multi-task.... we can lay bricks, and fill in mortar while listening to books being recited by people whose voices, I admit, do pronounce the words better than I do myself..
I (and all the other resisters out there) have to get used to the idea that the e-book, the audio book, are really the equivalent of the washing machine/dryer that really DID make my life better (or at least presented the possibility of making it better) than was my mother's... she who washed diapers and everything else by hand and hung them to dry... more than a full day's work, and completely exhausting as well as mind numbing.
Besides, I would have to have to admit that the resistance to new ways of doing things is really a function of age, dismissing out of hand everything that is new as being a reflection of progress as negative instead of what it is - neutral - what humans make of it, or allow to be made of it.

NMB
Skepticism:

Donnageddon
Frequent Poster

Post by Donnageddon » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:53 pm

Gord wrote:
Donnageddon wrote:Edit: here is an easier way to search. Just choose your format, genre, and author (by alphabet)

Got any by Montague Summers (1880–1948)?
No. And Project Gutenberg only has 4 volumes edited by Montague Summers of the Works of Aphra Behn.

Amazon has some of Summers books from Free - $3+
http://preview.tinyurl.com/MontagueSummers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Epub versions are harder to find.

But there is, oddly enough, an Android App of The Vampire: His Kith and Kin
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_appl ... _ffag.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My name is not Donna.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:51 am

I actually bought the Internet Sacred Text Archive Myth and Folklore CD-ROM -- http://www.sacred-texts.com/cdshop/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (I figured, what the heck, twenny bucks, I'll help support the thing.)

It includes The Vampire: His Kith and Kin*, as well as Malleus Maleficarum (1486) (translated by Montague Summers [1928]).

*omigod no it doesn't!! Well damn. I, heheh, bought the wrong CD-ROM....
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Thu Jul 19, 2012 7:59 am

nmblum wrote:I'm almost sorry to suggest this, because I hate the idea of the disappearing, bound paper that makes an actual book that can be held, cherished, passed on to one's kid's, friends, and even sometimes polemical adversaries...
I doubt books will disappear in my lifetime, or even that of my potential grandkids. There'll always be hipsters*.

And just wait till the battery goes flat, or you drop it, or it just craps its memory, or the next trendy device that doesn't support your library's format.

_____
* "I was reading books before reading books was cool." :cool:
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic
Custom Title: Deadly but evil.

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:22 pm

http://www.arthursbookshelf.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chachacha wrote:"Oh, thweet mythtery of wife, at waft I've found you!"
WWII Resources. Primary sources.
The Myths of Pearl Harbor. Demythologizing the attack.
Hyperwar. Hypertext history of the Second World War.
The greatest place to work in the entire United States.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:19 pm

How does that work?

I clicked on a book, albeit because I thought it was going to be terrible, and got this.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

fromthehills wrote:
How does that work?

I clicked on a book, albeit because I thought it was going to be terrible, and got this.
You clicked on an ePub book? Try a PDF version instead.
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Thu Jul 19, 2012 9:59 pm

Google "E-pub format."

They're not all Epub, btw.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed

Post by Gord » Thu Jul 19, 2012 10:06 pm

Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Google "E-pub format."
No too lazy you do it! : :sleep:
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Gawdzilla Sama
Real Skeptic

Post by Gawdzilla Sama » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:44 am

Gord wrote:
Gawdzilla Sama wrote:Google "E-pub format."
No too lazy you do it! : :sleep:
lmgtfy.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:48 am

I initiated this thread when it occurred to me how helpful it would be to have Darwin/s words instantly available to counter some of the foolishness that comes up in conversation ... the master's voice..
Imagine being able to counter, with chapter and verse, and sensibly, the "my father was NO monkey.." chats that inevitably arise when evolution is on the table.
My own experience was based on the simple (exciting, to me) experiency of being able to download at no cost, all of the sage's written works....
But now you have all sent my scurrying to avail myself of sources that were only yesterday completely unknown to me .
A surfeit of riches!! Languages galore!!
Today I am a downloading dervish!!
The wonder of it!! The freaking wonder!!
Thanks....
NMB
Skepticism:

angawawa
Regular Poster
Custom Title: A little strange

Post by angawawa » Mon Jul 23, 2012 7:55 pm

Well, I hope this makes your life even better and more exciting!! Try pixelofink.com. You can get three emails a day letting you know about the Kindle daily specials on Amazon. Some are terrible, some are good but look like they were never proofread, and some are wonderful.

I read my first book at the age of three, I was the only kid who started kindergarten able to read, and by the time I was eight I was reading about things like meditation and self-healing. I have had a passion for books for as long as I can remember. The feel of them, the smell of them. I get a little shiver up my spine when I open a new one. Being very shy, the library was my refuge from bullies and jocks who tormented me. I own several thousands of books, and I will never stop buying the "real" thing. However, my kids bought me a Kindle in February for my birthday, and I truly feel there must be something sinful about loving a device so much. I have about three hundred books so far, most of them free, and many of them for reference purposes, like "The Iliad", "Einsteins Theory of Relativity" and, yes, the bible. I get a feeling, looking at my virtual shelves, that is similar and yet very different from the feeling I get when I look at my "real" shelves. My dream is to someday own a full-size version and a digital version of the OED. I have the condensed version, the one you have use a magnifying glass with. But my eyes are aging, and the pain behind my eyeballs takes some of the fun away when I am using it.

Books forever, however they work!
If you keep your mind sufficiently open, people will throw all manner of garbage into it.