From the horse's mouth, via E.O.Wilson

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

From the horse's mouth, via E.O.Wilson

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:56 pm

I spent this morning reading the vast amount of untrammeled silliness spewed into this forum by PanAm55.. ..
While some of it is funny...slapstick, burlesque.... all of it is patently ridiculous.
And on a broad variety of subjects, most of which are personal to PanAm55 and meaningless to anyone else.
However, the only subject of any real importance, reflecting as it does a genuine unfamiliarity with the actual work of Charles Darwin, and the very genesis of his theory of evolution is the dismissiveness toward scientific method.
So to escape from the toxic idiocy of PanAm's own misbegotten thesis on who we are as a species and where we come from, I would like to remind whoever is interested that E.O.Wilson has provided a one volume edition of Darwin's major works that is easily available for purchase (including second-hand) and (yes, still.... this IS America after all) from your local library:

"From So Simple a Beginning: Darwin's Four Great Books (Voyage of the Beagle, The Origin of Species, The Descent of Man, The Expression of Emotions in Man and Animals) "by Charles Darwin and Edward O. Wilson.

There is,not, nor should there be any equivalent to a bible for skeptics, and certainly not for atheists... BUT.. in the matter of the theory of evolution as a basis for the natural history of the world as we know it, there is no better and clearer reference than the work of Darwin himself....and there is little doubt that "Origin of Species" is the feather in the cap of the post -enlightenment era of scientific advancement.
Add to that, for those who have never read "the Voyage of the Beagle," Darwin's won description of the trip he started as a ship's doctor that yielded the epiphanies that changed the world, it is, on its own, one of the great 19th century adventure stories in the English language...
Forearmed with the real lowdown on evolution is the only way to go, whether dealing with the Texas School Boards, the intrusive influence of religious institutions on what secular schools should and should not include in their science and social science curricula, or dealing with the often unedited and unreliable materials that appear on the internet, and in Forums like this one.
AND/ OR when choosing a political candidate for President of the United States.
And the only real way to deal with dangers inherent in the privilege of free speech, is to be at the ready to recognize what is either self-serving propaganda, psychotic rambling, or simply stubborn foolishness.
I think.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Poodle
True Skeptic
Custom Title: Post-bloom

Re: From the horse's mouth, via E.O.Wilson

Post by Poodle » Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:55 am

You read ALL of Pammy's stuff?

Are you still OK, Norma?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: From the horse's mouth, via E.O.Wilson

Post by nmblum88 » Fri Jul 20, 2012 3:12 am

Poodle wrote:You read ALL of Pammy's stuff?

Are you still OK, Norma?
Did I say I read ALL of it??
Here or anywhere else?
I did not.
For all I know the Library of Congress has another cache of equal drivel not available to me, and there might be even more on the Web.
Who knows? Perhaps there is even a rational, functional, fact-filled contribution in yet another archive.
However, I do appreciate that "still" as in "STILL OK?" which implies that I have been OK and maya be again.
That certainly can't be said about everyone.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."