Banned Questions

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Banned Questions

Post by Lausten » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:24 am

Not really recommending this, so much as just pointing it out. It is targeted to a very narrow niche of people who are not comfortable with fundamentalist Christianity, but aren't ready to chuck the whole idea just yet. It references a lot of the material that I used to eat up. It quite openly advertises itself as a book that does not provide answers. A preview is available at the link, and you can see it sometimes it comical.

As an example, on the question of why does God send people to hell, one of the answers is that, he doesn't and then, "I'm relatively confident that present-day teachings about hell will one day be revealed as a human misinterpretation of scripture - either in the writing, in the reading or in both. However, that is a statement of faith, not of knowledge."

http://www.chalicepress.com/Banned-Ques ... -P705.aspx
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Banned Questions

Post by Gord » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:21 am

Ever get the feeling that you can’t ask those kinds of questions at church?
As far as I can recall, I had the perpetual feeling that I couldn't ask any questions at church.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:11 pm

As far as I can recall, I had the perpetual feeling that I couldn't ask any questions at church.
I solved that problem by just not going. In High School, my friends were telling me that they were asking these questions and getting brushed off. Later I found a church that did allow the questions, but what I eventually figured out is that they led me down a a very deep rabbit hole. After weeks of discussion about differences in the gospels and historical context, the same old questions would still be there, but clouded behind all this "god just is" nonsense. Most of the literature from The Jesus Seminar dances around these questions rather than confront them, because doing so only leads to "its all bogus".

It's like the recent Dilbert where the boss says, "Thanks for the suggestion, I'm going to ignore it because you're not important to my career and I don't like doing extra work."
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Banned Questions

Post by fromthehills » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:46 am

I was actually made to stand in the corner for asking something to the effect of " what did Noah do with all the poo?"

At eight, and at 40, that's a legitimate question.

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:16 pm

Lausten wrote:
I solved that problem by just not going.
Same here. Actually, my whole family just stopped going one day. It's a pretty funny memory, but I don't know how true it was: We kids were all whining about "having to go to church," and my mother (as was her way) bellowed, "Well why don't we just stop going then!" Everyone looked at each other, and we unanimously decided not to go anymore -- even my mother. And that was it! :mrgreen:
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 5:37 pm

fromthehills wrote:I was actually made to stand in the corner for asking something to the effect of " what did Noah do with all the poo?"

At eight, and at 40, that's a legitimate question.
The most legitimate.
But if god had wanted snotty, smart-assed kids to ask it, there would have been a lot more of such kids.
You had a problem... which was, despite all the brain washing, that GOD is simply an abbreviation of "GET OBEDIENT, DAMMIT!!"
All the rest is window dressing.
In fact Sunday School, is god's answer the very prospect of more SSA kids: "get them in here young, and you won't have them thumbing their nose at ya when they are old."

But back to your question, which despite it insouciance deserves a serious answer.

But first a little background biblical physiology is required:
In the bible, and thus in what is known as "polite society," animals (including humans) do not have body functions.... other of course than sex, which even the bible couldn't ignore (some "greater powers" are greater than other "greater powers"): in the bible there was much begatting and absolutely no beshatting.
None.. Not a single instance of anyone stopping from their noble or nefarious deeds to take a dump.
And not a word about pissing either... or indigestion, or flatulence.
Remarkable is it not? Especially from a book that is advertised as encompassing the whole of human experience in the one and only universe?
No {!#%@}!!
Therefore the story of Noah and his remarkable achievement, appearing so early in Genesis, set the tone..
Which doesn't mean that there wasn't one hell of a lot of {!#%@}.... with more to come.
Not by a long shot..
But god (and his accidents soon to become known as "infinite wisdom") did give Noah and his sons, female companionship.
Perhaps the details of their relationships were lacking, but the proof is in the pudding, so to speak... all aboard that doughty (albeit klutzy) ark, did survive.... and thanks to the ladies, the nourishment they all enjoyed were less a miracle, than they were attributable to female ingenuity... AND, AND... are you listening? .. god is great but gals are greater!!.. the first instance of RECYCLING!!
Mrs. Noah and the in-laws just took all that poo, mushed it around a bit, added easily available water, and turned it into what we now call (and pay large amounts for) energy bars!!
And that is why we are still accepting poo in our diets, mental and physical, figuratively AND literally, to this very day.
I hope this helps... even though it might be more than 3 decades too late.... Although come to think of it "better never than late," is religion's message when it comes to the enlightenment of children.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

The Sea is Mine
BANNED

Post by The Sea is Mine » Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:19 am

any non-Christians here have the same feeling about their religion or religious leaders? tell us what happened.
Men's rights worldwide!

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:56 am

The Sea is Mine wrote:any non-Christians here have the same feeling about their religion or religious leaders? tell us what happened.
I have tried and tried to get muslims to talk that frankly... no success though...
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."