Ascension!

Read any good books lately?
sivani

Ascension!

Post by sivani » Mon May 16, 2011 10:55 am

My most favorite book for the last two months is the book written by MSI called Ascension! An Analysis of the Art of Ascension as taught by the Ishayas. This book is actually pretty short and tremendously easy to read. It is a must read for anyone who desires to expand their consciousness. Some may say it is too simple, but that is the part that I love about it. Every time I read it the old saying, if you want to hide something put it right out in front of someone's nose! This book is jam packed full of Truth of the timeless masters of Consciousness. I prefer to read it in it's book form but it can be read for free as an ebook at http://devabookstore.org/ebooks.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The book has been translated into Chinese, Finnish and German thus far.
I would love to hear what any of you out there might have to say about it!

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Re: Ascension!

Post by Lausten » Mon May 16, 2011 5:03 pm

Quotes from the book, in order
Natural laws certainly seem all-powerful and all-knowing from our human perspective, do they not?
(intelligent design)
The universal forces don’t seem to have much regard for the little human lives on our planet, do they?
but this book is going to tell me that something out there does care, right?
How to align our understanding with the Cosmic and Universal Forces instead of with the gross material world reported to us by our senses is the whole purpose of inner growth.
Without reading too far, I’m guessing “inner” is never defined. The only growth I have ever experienced has come from what is reported by my senses. I don’t know why you need to label that “gross”. That includes a sense that there is something that is called infinity. It includes a “sense” that there are things well beyond my ability to experience directly or to prove indisputably. I used to enjoy exploring thoughts about such things, until I found out that other people have very different thoughts about such things and they get quite upset when they hear what I think.
Those who would oppose it will either change or simply cease to be here.
(Pascal’s wager)
Some of us have already remembered that we are multi-dimensional beings.
(mystics)
But words are limited
So, the book can’t explain it, but they know things that I don’t
Cleanse your own heart and the world’s heart will be cleansed.
okay, I’ll get right on that
A common element of the typical “religious conversion” is that our own will is replaced, not by God’s will, but by someone’s or some group’s interpretation of God’s will. This is yet another version of the master-slave scenario so common among abusive husbands or wives and abusive parents.
It amazes me people can see this, but can’t see that they are doing the same thing.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon May 16, 2011 5:23 pm

If you haven't read the book, you may still knock the premise even though you can only take another reader's word for what the premise might actually be.
But what you can't do - no matter the subject - is zero in on particulars, taken out of context, on which to base your case.

Please do not think I am taking the part either of the author of the work, or the poster who wishes, apparently, to attract acolytes to and for the thoughts expressed therein.
I myself believe that too much searching for one's inner person can only lead to disappointment: one's inner self is likely to turn out to be shabbier than the one you are already working with.
And one's expanded level of consciousness might, realistically, reveal even less that one is already conscious of wanting to be rid of entirely or expanded upon for the sake of improving one's constricted perceptions.

But all that (my personal convictions) aside, actual READING of the material remains FUNDAMENTAL.
An author can only be praised or insulted on that basic fact: what is actually on the printed page he has managed to create, assessed by someone who actually took the trouble to read it.
One of the reasons that atheists for instance are usually so well informed of the horrors of the morality (as well as the literary pleasures) of the bible is that before either criticizing (or making sport of) that so called holy book, we have actually read it... usually more than once.
That gives us the ability AND the right to use quotes from it as the basis for either fun or intellectual profit.
If we hadn't read it, we would be open to a charge of the closed mind responding to what we only IMAGINE is nonsense.
Rather than what we KNOW is nonsense.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Mon May 16, 2011 7:18 pm

I did read this somewhere, so sorry for not including a reference.

Everything requires time. If we are to determine the right response to violence in far off Africa or take a couple hours to consider someone's opinion, it takes time. If I take that time, something else suffers. I'm not so arrogant to think the world needs me that bad, but something somewhere will not get my attention. That we can't be everywhere and do everything is the primary reason why all attempts at rule based systems of moral behavior have failed, including "How to live your life" according to Norma.

In this case, I started reading the book with perfect willingness to finish it. Within the first 20 pages I hit common fallacies and mind games that raised huge red flags. The request was to say what I think about it.

Your welcome.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon May 16, 2011 9:01 pm

Lausten wrote:I did read this somewhere, so sorry for not including a reference.

Everything requires time. If we are to determine the right response to violence in far off Africa or take a couple hours to consider someone's opinion, it takes time. If I take that time, something else suffers. I'm not so arrogant to think the world needs me that bad, but something somewhere will not get my attention. That we can't be everywhere and do everything is the primary reason why all attempts at rule based systems of moral behavior have failed, including "How to live your life" according to Norma.

In this case, I started reading the book with perfect willingness to finish it. Within the first 20 pages I hit common fallacies and mind games that raised huge red flags. The request was to say what I think about it.

Your welcome.
It is not "life according to Norma," to express the opinion and to point out the peculiar nature, the inherent uselessness of commenting on books one has not read.
It is the nature of the pursuit of knowledge, and basic: if you want to argue against something you have to have some idea of what it is.
That includes, "Mein Kampf," or "the Gay Science," the "Origin of Species." the Hebrew Bible, the New Testament... or if your will forgive me for stretching a point, "Superman Comics.."
Seems basic enough to me.
And you can also say.."that book sounds, in your summary, like something I would have no interest in at all."
In "life according to Norma," not every book, journal or article was meant to be read by everybody.
Just as in "life according to Norma," one dismisses out of hand those people who invoke the Constitution after one finds that they not only haven't read it... but have it confused with any number of any documents, OR the National Anthem.
Would you still respect me in the morning if you found out that I had never read the Bible, given my vociferous objections to the morality expressed therein?
Or that I had closed the book after simply reading the first admittedly preposterous 20 pages?
Thereby missing most of the really gamy stuff that eventually contributed to the creation of the atheist monster whose words are now before you?
Jesus... I hope not.
And I wouldn't insist on any standard for you (this particular one is simple enough) that I don't insist on for myself...
BUT what you CAN do is to simply by- pass the authority of someone else's published word, or any other attempt to establish what you throw in as some variety of "proof." by just saying "I BELIEVE......"
"I believe .." is a statement of faith that demands no further explanation, or interpolation from the read .... or the unread..
Or further corroboration.
"I believe, " is , *I* BELIEVE, the statement you may actually be looking for.... no titles, authors, or sources required.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Tue May 17, 2011 6:08 pm

if your will forgive me for stretching a point
Forgive you? It's your middle name."No point left unstretched Norma", that's what we call you.

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Post by OlegTheBatty » Tue May 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Lausten wrote:
Forgive you? It's your middle name."No point left unstretched Norma", that's what we call you.
Stretching a point makes a good straight line . . .
. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:04 pm

Lausten wrote:
Who WE?
You and John Wesley?
And do you make that remark in unison, as a choir?
Never mind.... it would be flippant to make jokes about strange bedfellows, especially as in some environments there are nothing BUT strange bedfellows.

Yr friend who stretches "religion is the worst plague to infect our planet," into "religion is the worst plague to infect our planet with inept apologists for the disease of religion."
And stands by it.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue May 17, 2011 7:23 pm

OlegTheBatty wrote:
Lausten wrote:
Stretching a point makes a good straight line . . .
LOL... May I quote you in court?

NMB
Skepticism: