Self-public books

Read any good books lately?
kowalskil
Poster

Self-public books

Post by kowalskil » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:22 am

Self-publishing is good, for an unknown author, when s/he already knows who the readers will be (family members, students, etc.) But I would not recommend it to anyone who wants to reach a wider audience.

Last December I self-published "Tyranny to Freedom: Diary of a Former Stalinist." It has been available on http://www.amazon.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (and positively reviewed by several readers) but the number of copies sold was very small. Bookstores do not order self-published books written by unknown authors. Finding a reputable publisher (a very difficult task indeed) is the only way to proceed.

Disappointed by the situation, I decided to "compete with myself." I improved the book a little (based on comments made by readers), changed the title, and made it freely available over the Internet. Fortunately, I can afford to do this; my goal was to leave a testimony, not to support myself.

The new title is “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

The link to this FREE on-line book should appear below the signature. Does any one know a literary agent who might be appreciated? Please let me know (see my email below). Thank you in advance.

Ludwik Kowalski
Professor Emeritus
Montclair State University (USA)

kowalskiL@mail.montclair.edu
Ludwik Kowalski, author of a free ON-LINE book entitled “Diary of a Former Communist: Thoughts, Feelings, Reality.”

http://csam.montclair.edu/~kowalski/life/intro.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

a testimony based on a diary kept between 1946 and 2004 (in the USSR, Poland, France and the USA).

The more people know about proletarian dictatorship the less likely will they experience is. Please share the link with those who might be interested, especially with young people, and with potential reviewers. Thank you.

JO 753
Has No Life
Custom Title: rezident owtsidr

Re: Self-public books

Post by JO 753 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:13 am

I've never heard anything pozitive about getting published for the 1st time and yet therez a continuous torrent uv new books being published. I assume at least a few being frum new authorz that didnt get famous thru sum other meanz.

I never had a great ambition to get a book published, so even tho I had sumthing to say about spelling reform, I wuznt about to waste my time with a book wen this interweb thing allowz you to bypass that whole tangled mess.

Pantsofdoom

Post by Pantsofdoom » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:32 pm

I'd register at this site and I think you'll find much information, as well as published writers, agents, beta readers, etc. to help you along.

http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I can't find it off the top of my head, but the thing that never ever ever happens with a reputable agent or publisher is them asking you for money. The money always flows to the writer. Period. If an agent or publisher takes exception to this then move along because they are not legit.

amiblackwelder

Post by amiblackwelder » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 am

I like to read mostly only self-pub or indie books. There is something about the genuine voice, something raw and rare that you don't find with mainstream tradition.

I like authors like Imogen Rose, Rhiannon Frater, Denise Verrico, Ali Mac, ami Blackwelder (myself-Shifter Evolutions), Michael Sullivan, and yes Amanda Hocking. There are so many more...EJ Stevens, BK Walker, and I could go on...

I recommend looking more into indie authors, as with indie films...you will find rare gems.

http://amiblackwelder.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bigtim
Perpetual Poster
Custom Title: Skeptical Berserker

Post by bigtim » Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:19 am

Anyone that throws something out there and then expects it to be successful without actually working to make it so is being stupid. Self publishing can work -- you just have to MAKE it work.
~
BigTim
"I'm not entirely convinced that ValHalla isn't real."

amiblackwelder

Post by amiblackwelder » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:53 am

Self-pub takes a lot of work...but ultimately if you go through a small press, e-pub, or even many big houses, they won't do for you what you can't do yourself. Friends have had books published to sit on Barnes n Noble shelves without any sells or a few...and then are taken off. Exciting and then disappointing. The point is that if publishers aren't going to put money where there mouth is....your book will just sit. You basically can do everything they can do...it is just a longer, harder process -but in the long run many times it is worth it. Only the author really has the passion behind their book. Not a publisher. Few and far between.

amiblackwelder

Post by amiblackwelder » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:27 pm

Yes, self-pub does take a lot of work, but ultimately if you're passionate about writing it is worth it. Beatrix Potter self-published at first because the male-dominated industry at the time would not take her...interesting did bit
http://amiblackwelder.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;