12 Steps to Compassion

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

12 Steps to Compassion

Post by Lausten » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:57 pm

I read the latest from Karen Armstrong. It is actually organized into 12 steps. A bit of tongue in cheek. I didn't feel I needed the program myself, I can quit being uncompassionate anytime I want, but I hope to use it to work with someone else.

Nothing unexpected in this book. Armstrong makes some of her usual statements, along the lines of everyone used to understand that the religion stories weren't real, they knew it was story telling for a purpose, and such. And she sticks to mostly the good things that the Buddha, Confucius, Christ and Muhammad and minimizes all the evil done in their names since. Not quite to zero, but pretty close. There is never a nod to any questions of these figures possibly not existing.

I did learn a few fun facts, like what the cultural climate was like before Confucius and Muhammad did their things. So, as an intro to world religions and their origins, it has some value, and could help make it acceptable for use in a church setting or for any cross cultural group. Also the exercises could be useful for anyone who is having trouble seeing why they sould care about anything other than themselves. For example, one suggestion was to spend a few days noticing the details of your daily routine and thinking about who built the roads you drove on, who made the bread you eat.

The target audience would need to be people who are willing to accept that they need to grow in the area of compassion. I think there are a lot of people who either don't care, or don't think they need to read a book about it, so it will be interesting to see how well this does.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: 12 Steps to Compassion

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:37 pm

Lausten wrote:I read the latest from Karen Armstrong. It is actually organized into 12 steps. A bit of tongue in cheek. I didn't feel I needed the program myself, I can quit being uncompassionate anytime I want, but I hope to use it to work with someone else.

Nothing unexpected in this book. Armstrong makes some of her usual statements, along the lines of everyone used to understand that the religion stories weren't real, they knew it was story telling for a purpose, and such. And she sticks to mostly the good things that the Buddha, Confucius, Christ and Muhammad and minimizes all the evil done in their names since. Not quite to zero, but pretty close. There is never a nod to any questions of these figures possibly not existing.

I did learn a few fun facts, like what the cultural climate was like before Confucius and Muhammad did their things. So, as an intro to world religions and their origins, it has some value, and could help make it acceptable for use in a church setting or for any cross cultural group. Also the exercises could be useful for anyone who is having trouble seeing why they sould care about anything other than themselves. For example, one suggestion was to spend a few days noticing the details of your daily routine and thinking about who built the roads you drove on, who made the bread you eat.

The target audience would need to be people who are willing to accept that they need to grow in the area of compassion. I think there are a lot of people who either don't care, or don't think they need to read a book about it, so it will be interesting to see how well this does.
The possibilities for the franchise are endless: "Compassion for Dummies.." sounds like a winner.
But I am praying that "Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Men, for Dummies" is on its way to our local bookstores sometime before the Apocalypse gets here.
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 1:11 pm

nmblum wrote:
The possibilities for the franchise are endless: "Compassion for Dummies.." sounds like a winner.
But I am praying that "Peace on Earth, Goodwill Toward Men, for Dummies" is on its way to our local bookstores sometime before the Apocalypse gets here.
NMB
Might not need either of those books after the rapture though.
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:20 pm

KnaveOfHearts wrote:
nmblum wrote:
NMB
Might not need either of those books after the rapture though.
Bazinga! Good one, Knave! :thumbsup:

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:24 pm

I do what I can.
"All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other."
— H.P. Lovecraft

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:10 am

KnaveOfHearts wrote:I do what I can.

Does what you can do exclude reading?

Delivery is scheduled "BEFORE" the apocalypse precisely so that one can meet the rapture well prepared, unless of course it takes an inordinately long time to read the extra large print in which case compassion will simply have to disappear with all other human attributes.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

KnaveOfHearts
Regular Poster

Post by KnaveOfHearts » Wed Feb 09, 2011 1:03 pm

By no means would I not read all I meant was that without all the Christians we would no longer need books on these subjects because it would not be hard to come by at that point. It's apparent from their current actions and spoutings that one needs neither compassion nor good will to be raptured and move on to their better place.
— H.P. Lovecraft

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:24 pm

I still think Puppies for Dummies is the best book title I've ever seen.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:44 pm

Gord wrote:I still think Puppies for Dummies is the best book title I've ever seen.
Unfamiliar to me...
Is it a cookbook?

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Post by Gord » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:02 pm

I never opened it up. I just assume it's a picture book.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Sun Feb 13, 2011 7:44 pm

'
nmblum wrote: The possibilities for the franchise are endless: "Compassion for Dummies.." sounds like a winner.
Indeed. The dummies certainly need it, since only dummies are not compassionate.
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.