Emotion culturally cultivated

Read any good books lately?
RafaelNogueira

Emotion culturally cultivated

Post by RafaelNogueira » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:12 pm

Hello, I have read some articles on psychology.
I became an atheist through this article below:
http://usabilidoido.com.br/emocao_cultu ... tuada.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It’s been 3 years that I am an atheist.

This article talks about the book: Emotional Design: Why We Love (or Hate) Everyday Things (Donald A. Norman)

I wonder if there is no other book that talks about emotions culturally cultivated with perspective on religion.

A book that explains these feelings that people say to feel, God inside them, feeling the presence of God when they pray.

If there is any book that talks about this please pass me the name.

If there is more than one book let me get the name of the best.

Thank you for your attention

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Re: Emotion culturally cultivated

Post by Jeff D » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:32 pm

Welcome.

I am not familiar with Mr. Norman's writing, and because I can't read Portuguese, I am not sure what the cited web page says about "emotions culturally cultivated with perspective on religion," or what "emotions culturally cultivated" means, beyond the obvious connotations from those words.

But if you have not read the following books, you may find that they provide some useful insights into the emotional "returns" or results that believers obtain from religious experience:

Breaking the Spell by Daniel Dennett (I'd be surprised if you haven't read this already)

Religion Explained by Pascal Boyer ( a very good introductory exploration of the cultural anthropology of religion, the nuts and bolts of the origins of religious experience and religious ideas in human biological and cultural evolution, as byproducts of ordinary brain functions that evolved for other "purposes")

The Reason-Driven Life by Robert M. Price. (This was written as a specific antidote to Rick Warren's bestseller The Purpose-Driven Life and might be viewed as offered or targeted to dissatisfied or disillusioned evangelical / fundamentalist Christians. But it's a very good book, and it contains some fairly clear explanations of the emotional, aesthetic and social experiences / feelings that believers seek in and sometimes derive from participation in religion.)
Jeff D