Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea

Read any good books lately?
chanveil
Account Locked

Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea

Post by chanveil » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:27 am

I'm reading Carl Zimmer's "Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea" and enjoying it thoroughly. I bought the book several years ago but am only now getting around to reading it. Zimmer explains evolutionary theory in an easy to understand way making this book perfect for people with little to know experience in biological evolution. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants to learn about our origins and evolution.

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Re: Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea

Post by rrichar911 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:35 pm

Who's idea was evolution? For life to mutate and evolve?

That it does is an observable fact, not an idea.

Why it does is a theory, an idea, which cannot be proven.

I am wondering if what we revel in is the theory or the results of evolution?
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: Evolution: The Triumph of an Idea

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:10 pm

rrichar911 wrote:Who's idea was evolution? For life to mutate and evolve?

That it does is an observable fact, not an idea.

Why it does is a theory, an idea, which cannot be proven.

I am wondering if what we revel in is the theory or the results of evolution?
Who's reveling?
There is no doubt that to people not tied tot he bible as cosmology, geography and history, the exploration and discovery that have gone into corroborating Darwin's extraordinary curiosity and observation skills are tremendously stimulating as well as continuously enjoyable... the kind of material that makes for pursuing "more, more, more.... and let the chips fall as they may!"
But that isn't what makes Darwinism, in the end, viable,
Darwinism is the law of the observable world for the simple reason that there is now tangible evidence of its validity.
There is no such evidence available for Creation....
And while I'm at it, and having just finished reading the latest issue of "The Biblical Archeologist" there is no evidence for any of the significant stories in either Testament.
I'm afraid that you will have to... as they say.... suck it up.
Although you may of course, believe anything you like....whatever floats your ark...

Norma Manna BLum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."