Almost nothing to do with religion....

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Almost nothing to do with religion....

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:21 pm

.....but I am reading the letters of Saul Bellow....
He mentions religion, that of his parents and his extended family, or his own lack of it, rarely.
But the connection exists, at least in my mind.
Because these letters are delicious, the product of an urbane, civilized man, literate of course, but humorous, ironic, empathetic, and reasonable to the nth degree...
Interested in everyone and everything. with his faults and his failures, as well as his great successes, laid out in his correspondence of many years.
But in the end what emerges is that looking at the world through reason tinted glasses, rather than the synthetic patina of faith is what gives his work such resonance.
Saul Bellow's feet have always been planted on a terra firma he recognizes as fragile, and capricious but that he loves, nonetheless, just as it is.
And in the end what illuminated his long and extraordinary, ordinary life...
For those who saw themselves in "Dangling Man," "the Victim," " Humboldt's Gift," or "Ravelstein" .." and particularly (for prolific posters in Forums, "Herzog,"..... highly recommended..
For those who haven' t tasted of that wondrous tree.... whet your appetite.
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Re: Almost nothing to do with religion....

Post by vanderpoel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:38 am

I wish I had the "synthetic patina of faith", it sounds delicious.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:56 am

vanderpoel wrote:I wish I had the "synthetic patina of faith", it sounds delicious.
Can I ask what particular part of the phrase gets your taste buds to stand at alert?
A friend of mine was married to an Italian... the real thing, two years off the boat from Sicily, robust, funny, generous and good looking..,.... with a great tenor voice.... lovely man, much admired by all.
He had, according to her, only one fault, and that was his narrow minded, unadventurous approach to food.
In a city like New York where such an infinite variety is available to be enjoyed., this fellow made, in the autumn, gallons upon gallons of marinara sauce, put ir in jars, and claimed that without his stash of Italian sauce he would have had to return to Sicily forever....

His wife, on the other hand, was known to say, "Swear to god, that guy would eat {!#%@} if he could put that damn sauce on it..."
Sorta the way I feel about people who lay claim to faith although in what I have no idea... except that is sounds sorta like Vittorio's marinara sauce....

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Tue Nov 30, 2010 2:04 am

nmblum wrote:
vanderpoel wrote:I wish I had the "synthetic patina of faith", it sounds delicious.
Can I ask what particular part of the phrase gets your taste buds to stand at alert?
Bella mia, the patina of course, like gondola it lifts the tongue.
Certainly, my taste receptors stimulated my cranial nerves once I consumed your savory description of marinara but I mostly enjoyed the prolonged effect and the synchronous vibration of your pencil onto my papillae.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Post by rrichar911 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:53 am

"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."[
I think I like this guy.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:51 am

rrichar911 wrote:
"A great deal of intelligence can be invested in ignorance when the need for illusion is deep."[
I think I like this guy.

Super!! Although apparently no reflection appeared in your mirror.
Never mind.
'Cause I can't wait until you get to the other 500,000 equally crafted sentences that DIDN't make the "quoting Saul Bellow" entry in your browser...
(I'm beginning to get the hang of that system now, and while it is sort of appalling, still, anything that gets the mule to the trough without actually hitting it over the head with a two-by-four, has to be given its due.)
Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:

rrichar911
Perpetual Poster

Post by rrichar911 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 am

nmblum wrote:
rrichar911 wrote:
I think I like this guy.

Super!! Although apparently no reflection appeared in your mirror.
Never mind.
'Cause I can't wait until you get to the other 500,000 equally crafted sentences that DIDN't make the "quoting Saul Bellow" entry in your browser...
(I'm beginning to get the hang of that system now, and while it is sort of appalling, still, anything that gets the mule to the trough without actually hitting it over the head with a two-by-four, has to be given its due.)
Norma Manna Blum
Duper!! I came to this conclusion when I was 5 years old. People like to hear things that they already believe in.

However, it is not the crafting of the sentence that is impressive, it is the truth contained in it.

If something is illogical, you do not have to force it to fail, it will do that on its own. That is what I had in mind when applauding the quote. The world in in the midst of being destabilized from many sources, all of which have their true believers. It is for exactly the reason stated in the quote that the believers exist.

They do not meet in a little room somewhere and plan destruction, or even swap strategy over the internet. They rather identify with the rebel cause deep within, and if you look deep enough they have their fingers in many of the same pies pulling on the same plumbs.

They have different intellectual reasons for seeking chaos, different belief systems, but never the less all seek chaos. They share the same illusion, that their way is best, and as such they are justified in establishing chaos so that from ashes they can rebuild in their image.

What they all fail to see is that when something is wrong, you do not have to force it to fail. You do not have to create chaos to build.

The need for illusion is to avoid that truth, which intellect may provide, but only when backed up by a hardened heart.

Examples:

al-qaeda, wikileaks, inflating currency, failure to regulate Fanny & Freddy, pushing the EU when it is failing, China & North Korea supplying Russian technology to Iran, George Soros connection to virtually all the above, Saul Alinsky methodology, in all its glorious destructivness, backed by super intelligent people, intellectuals all, that are to dumb to know that their brains are lead by their heart, which has a deep need for illusion.

"and a little child shall lead them"

It does not say where.

The need for illusion is so one may convince them self that this is not true. That their intellect really has found truth. Problem is, there are to many variables, and we just over look the ones we do not like. The ones that do not agree with our deepest emotions, i.e. our heart.

A wise person knows that intellect is lead around like a puppet on a string, that proof does not exist, that most things in life are subjective, and thus our world view which is the product of our deepest emotions, the beliefs of a child, dominate.

A heart that seeks destruction, so that it may rebuild, has sever problems. Besides that it is illogical.

Example:
If people want to replace capitalism with something better, it is illogical to first have to destroy capitalism. For if it is a wrong headed system, it will do that all by itself with out any help. They would not have to purposely seek to create chaos, or as Saul Alinsky said, create hopelessness and then be the solution to it, there by consolidating your power.

ONe does not have to take a gun and shoot things that are illogical, they fail all by their self. Rebels are not needed.
What really intrest me is whether God had any choice in the creation of the universe ~ Albert Einstein

numan
BANNED

Post by numan » Wed Dec 01, 2010 2:38 am

'
rrichar911 wrote:
I think I like this guy.
You agree with what he is saying?

Or is it that you think you have finally found someone who really understands you?
Neither man nor woman can be worth anything until they have discovered that they are fools. This is the first step toward becoming either estimable or agreeable---and until it is taken, there is no hope.