Who says Americans don't read?

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Who says Americans don't read?

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:51 am

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/11/20/books ... ml?_r=1&hp

I picked up my copy of Volume One, Wednesday evening , after waiting impatiently,and have now spent two days reading and relishing, relishing and reading.
And I'm looking forward to about a week of pure, unadulterated enjoyment with a lot to ponder seriously at the same time...

I think that readers disturbed, disheartened by the recent election, are just glad to have Mark Twain on our side, so to speak.
And I could hardly get out of the bookstore because of the booksellers and the customers all wanting to discuss Twain, his place in our history, literary and moral..
Good stuff.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

4sure
BANNED

Re: Who says Americans don't read?

Post by 4sure » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:14 am

75% of my family are illiterate! And I come from a large family. But they sure can weld, build ,and fabricate anything you like....

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:20 am

4sure wrote:75% of my family are illiterate! And I come from a large family. But they sure can weld, build ,and fabricate anything you like....
That's great!
Certainly more of us should know how to do things with our hands..... craft shouldn't be denigrated.
Enjoying or even extolling literacy or books, doesn't mean that all the other talents possible for humans are not valuable.
HOWEVER, this IS the 21st century, and your talented but illiterate relatives will be deprived, for instance, of the use of the computer, something YOU clearly get some pleasure as well as utility from using.

Norma Manna Blum
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeff D » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:03 pm

Tina Fey received a "Mark Twain" award for American humor, and -- not entirely because the program was going to run beyond the 90-minute time slot for broadcast -- PBS edited a minute or two out of Fey's acceptance speech.

Here is (at least) the major part of what was cut:
"I would be a liar and an idiot if I didn't thank Sarah Palin for helping get me here tonight. My partial resemblance and her crazy voice are the two luckiest things that have ever happened to me." ...

"Politics aside, the success of Sarah Palin and women like her is good for all women -- except, of course, those who will end up paying for their own rape kit and stuff. But for everybody else, it's a win-win. Unless you're a gay woman who wants to marry your partner of 20 years. Whatever. But for most women, the success of conservative women is good for all of us. Unless you believe in evolution. You know -- actually, I take it back. The whole thing's a disaster."
I have not looked very hard for bootleg audio or video.

And here is MSNBC's story about PBS's cuts and its stated explanation.

I was thinking of this editing by PBS when I heard a story on Nazi Public Radio late on Friday about how Roger Ailes of Faux News had called NPR a "Nazi" organization, and then later ruefully apologized . . . not to NPR, but to some Jewish advocacy / Holocaust awareness organization.

Does it really work better to use the "Nazi" moniker to brand media organizations that used to be accused of "liberal bias"?

Has Ailes never heard of the First Corollary to Godwin's Law? (The first person to bring up Hitler or Nazism in debate loses; Godwin's [original] Law was the observation that as an on-line discussion continues, the probability that some participant will bring up Nazis or Hitler as a point of comparison approaches 1.0.)
Jeff D

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sat Nov 20, 2010 3:30 pm

I think Tina Fey is just jealous because Christine O'Donnell, Sharon Angle, Michelle Bachman and the entire Palin family, indeed the very existence of the Palin family (if you didn't SEE 'em and hear 'em, you wouldn't believe they were real) are much funnier than she is.
And of course, they are original, while her comedy is derivative, dependent, second hand.
My own reaction to Ailes and in fact Fox News' now jihad against NPR, creating an issue where there really is none (most people in America don't listen to NPR and there are no statistics on how many don't even know it exists) was that for the first time in decades I actually sent in a donation, and a larger one than would ever have occurred to me or that I can really afford.
And I wore a false mustache, a Brown shirt and black boots while I walked to the mail box, just to let my neighbors know what's what and who's who .
After all there's no shame in being a Nazi; everybody's doin' it.... and they didn't prattle on about a woman's right to choose....
And they had lots of prayers in their schools.

NMB
Skepticism: