People of the Lie

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

People of the Lie

Post by Lausten » Mon Nov 15, 2010 12:29 pm

Anybody have a good skeptical review of this book by Scott Peck? Someone recommended it, but I just don't have the time right now to read something just to validate my opinion.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Re: People of the Lie

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:25 pm

Lausten wrote:Anybody have a good skeptical review of this book by Scott Peck? Someone recommended it, but I just don't have the time right now to read something just to validate my opinion.

Do not count this as a vote for no..... I don't discourage people from reading books, even when I HAVE read them but most especially when I haven't.
(In fact, I actually consider it ...well, on the FRINGE of evil.... even to offer an opinion on a book one has not read,)
BUT: I have dipped into the mighty works of Scott Peck.which is where I discovered that there is no tape measure for the "spiritual growth" from which he has made his fortune.
And , might I add ,from people who are desperate for "spiritual growth" without necessarily having the slightest idea of what it is.
(However in the interest of fairness, some years ago "The Road Less Traveled" (paperback) did successfully keep a chair in my kitchen stable and thus usable and I would be remiss to not give credit for it.)

But "spiritual growth" is as nothing compared with the mission to eradicate evil, which was a more recent sales pitch from Scott.
Evil is the big kahuna, the real deal... and not to be taken lightly.
It's elimination from the human spectrum of possibility no less.
Naturally if ANYONE, even a master of psycho-spiritual shlock wants to address removing EVIL from the brain of man.... I'm all for that.
No question.
However, I would caution you (you did ask, after all) to remember that one man's evil is the casting of bodies into vast, mass, unmarked, graves.
While another's is having a beer or two on Saturday night and trying to seduce the waitress..(Succeeding is an extra demerit.)
And one Christine O'Donnell (already grown to grand spiritual dimensions) has made not touching oneself for purposes of personal pleasure a national aspiration for the cure of evil.
So to sum up I would be more enthusiastic about Scott Peck as an author if he were better able to define exactly WHAT he is prepared to exorcise from the human cabinet of available malefactions.
Reading the book, though?
That's up to you.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:56 pm

I'm sticking with the "don't waste your money" advice on Amazon for now. There are a few reviewers there that seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to evaluating Peck's abilities as a therapist, but I would really like an actual therapist's opinion. One who is willing to comment on matters spiritual would be even better.

Most disconcerting were the reviews that stated the dangers of what the book was about. Some poor victim in a abusive relationship could easily use this book to self-diagnose either themselves or the abuser and go down a long road seeking help instead of just heading for a shelter. Even Peck himself apologizes in advance for any harm the book might cause in his introduction!
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 5:46 pm

Lausten wrote:I'm sticking with the "don't waste your money" advice on Amazon for now. There are a few reviewers there that seem to know what they are talking about when it comes to evaluating Peck's abilities as a therapist, but I would really like an actual therapist's opinion. One who is willing to comment on matters spiritual would be even better.

Most disconcerting were the reviews that stated the dangers of what the book was about. Some poor victim in a abusive relationship could easily use this book to self-diagnose either themselves or the abuser and go down a long road seeking help instead of just heading for a shelter. Even Peck himself apologizes in advance for any harm the book might cause in his introduction!
(emphasis mine, NMB)

LOL... sorta like what Robert Oppenheimer did after the bombs hit Hiroshima and Nagasaki.. (although he admitted that apolgies in advance would have been more gracious).
But hey.... better to have written and confused than never to have spoken at all (on behalf of an improved mankind.... and/or a publiser's advance),

NMB
P.S. What is "spiritual growth?"
Didn't god create man with all the"spirit" he thought was necessary?
NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:11 pm

spirit.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"