Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Post by Lausten » Fri Oct 15, 2010 7:54 pm

Don't let the "Miracle" in the title throw you. Barbara Kingsolver holds a degree in evolutionary biology, and she uses it well in this book. Much of the book is about family and her role as a mother, but she does not forget her education when her youngest starts to ask questions about chickens and eggs. She makes two stabs at people who believe in a 6,000 year old universe early on. I thought it might be a theme, but she moves on to stories about life on a family farm. There is a long and sometimes hilarious section on how we have bred the sex drive out of turkeys and how she tries to re-awakening their instincts.

If you have thought at all about eating organically or eating locally, you will like this book. I listened to it on audio, read by the authors, Barbara, her husband and oldest daughter, which made it doubly good. That also included a short interview at the end. If you have not thought about eating locally, or have thought about it and decided it is bunk, give this one a try anyway, at least you will get a few good recipes out of it. She does not take a fundamentalist approach to anti-corporate, anti-chemical thinking, she is very pragmatic, making her food choices based on what is good for her family, and what will be good for her grandchildren.

I am amazed at how moved I can be by what is essentially a documentary. Many people have done a variety of locavore experiments and reported on them. It is great to have a storyteller like Barbara Kingsolver having a go at it. As she notes, in less than a generation, the culture of food has changed drastically, from a time when lettuce in January was a luxury for most Americans, to a time when it is expected to be there on our fast food burgers. Her book is part of changing to a more sensible culture.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Gord
Obnoxious Weed
Custom Title: prostrate spurge

Re: Animal, Vegetable, Miracle

Post by Gord » Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:20 am

Lausten wrote:...her youngest starts to ask questions about chickens and eggs....
The egg came first.
"Knowledge grows through infinite timelessness" -- the random fictional Deepak Chopra quote site
"Imagine an ennobling of what could be" -- the New Age BS Generator site
"You are also taking my words out of context." -- Justin
"Nullius in verba" -- The Royal Society ["take nobody's word for it"]
#ANDAMOVIE
Is Trump in jail yet?

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:37 pm

Gord wrote:
Lausten wrote:...her youngest starts to ask questions about chickens and eggs....
The egg came first.
Before that there was the headegg.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Sun Oct 17, 2010 5:12 am

vanderpoel wrote:
Gord wrote:
The egg came first.
Before that there was the headegg.[/quote

Hey....... that's quite awesomely clever....

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."