Friends don't let friends read "The Shack"

Read any good books lately?
Lausten
Persistent Poster

Friends don't let friends read "The Shack"

Post by Lausten » Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:59 pm

http://winter60.blogspot.com/2010/09/shack.html

As I state in my introduction, I offer this review as a public service. I know most of the regulars here were smart enough to not buy this book at all, or even borrow it, or even read the blurbs on the back cover, but I continue to hope that there are a few people out there who can honor the traditions of the past and bring some of that light into the modern world. William P. Young is not one of those people.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Speculater
Poster
Custom Title: Elite Skeptic

Re: Friends don't let friends read "The Shack"

Post by Speculater » Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:21 pm

My sister lent me that book, she's a super evangelical... so it's way on the back burner, thanks for the this public service! I can now say I read it :-)
"Refuse to express a passion, and it dies." William James 1890

Pyrrho
Administrator

Post by Pyrrho » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:28 am

Acquaintance of mine is reading it aloud to her husband who refuses to read it.
For any forum questions or concerns please e-mail skepticforum@gmail.com or send a PM.

The flash of light you saw in the sky was not a UFO. Swamp gas from a weather balloon was trapped in a thermal pocket and reflected the light from Venus.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:04 am

Pyrrho wrote:Acquaintance of mine is reading it aloud to her husband who refuses to read it.
Really? That seems like a bad deal to me. That's what power tools, and cigars are made for.

sammythebull
Poster
Custom Title: Jesus stunt double

Post by sammythebull » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:14 am

fromthehills wrote:
Pyrrho wrote:Acquaintance of mine is reading it aloud to her husband who refuses to read it.
Really? That seems like a bad deal to me. That's what power tools, and cigars are made for.
Well said fromthehills.... :lol:

cheers sam

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts
Custom Title: Irrational Skeptic

Post by Chachacha » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:17 am

Read both reviews. All I can say is: never ceases to amaze me that people believe this stuff.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:18 am

One of the reasons God made divorce.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:25 am

God made cigars and power tools so we could have peace without divorce!

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:34 am

fromthehills wrote:God made cigars and power tools so we could have peace without divorce!
Okay, I believe you, but I don't understand how it works. You are trying to relax, watch T.V., read, or go to sleep, when a theoretical significant other accosts you and begins reading to you from a book which you have made clear you do not want to read or hear read: how do you use the cigar and power tools?

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:50 am

You say "hold on, I'll be right back. I just realized what I need to finish that project I told you about." Then you walk out to the shop, there's a fridge out there. Grab a beer. Turn on some music. Light a cigar, and sit it on a work bench ( I don't smoke 'em ) Then stand by a tool, just in case she walks in. Pretend you don't notice, and fire up the saw, or what have you. You "work" until about 11:30, then go to bed without showering. Of course, you have to get up pretty early, and go out to the shop to show some progress. It's all very functional. As long as you don't appear to be relaxing, you usually have good standing.

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Post by vanderpoel » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:54 am

The only thing my wife ever read me is the Riot Act.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:30 am

Because you pee on the carpet? I suppose that's justified.

Lausten, not even on my list, so no fear. I generally only read classic sci-fi procured in second-hand bookshops.

Fromthehills, The Shed is a male institution.

I gave the Missus Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus as a gift, once. She wanted me to read it to her.

I didn't, she didn't read it herself, and I have a much better girlfriend.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.

Chachacha
Has More Than 9K Posts

Post by Chachacha » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:26 pm

fromthehills wrote:You say "hold on, I'll be right back. I just realized what I need to finish that project I told you about." Then you walk out to the shop, there's a fridge out there. Grab a beer. Turn on some music. Light a cigar, and sit it on a work bench ( I don't smoke 'em ) Then stand by a tool, just in case she walks in. Pretend you don't notice, and fire up the saw, or what have you. You "work" until about 11:30, then go to bed without showering. Of course, you have to get up pretty early, and go out to the shop to show some progress. It's all very functional. As long as you don't appear to be relaxing, you usually have good standing.
Ahhhh. Got it. Thank you. I never thought of using cigar smoke as a woman-repellent the same way you use one of those circular-smokey-thingies to repel misquitos, but it would work for me! Same thing with the noise of the power tools.

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:14 pm

Major Malfunction wrote:
Fromthehills, The Shed is a male institution.

:lol: Exactly!

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:37 pm

Chachacha wrote:
fromthehills wrote:You say "hold on, I'll be right back. I just realized what I need to finish that project I told you about." Then you walk out to the shop, there's a fridge out there. Grab a beer. Turn on some music. Light a cigar, and sit it on a work bench ( I don't smoke 'em ) Then stand by a tool, just in case she walks in. Pretend you don't notice, and fire up the saw, or what have you. You "work" until about 11:30, then go to bed without showering. Of course, you have to get up pretty early, and go out to the shop to show some progress. It's all very functional. As long as you don't appear to be relaxing, you usually have good standing.
Ahhhh. Got it. Thank you. I never thought of using cigar smoke as a woman-repellent the same way you use one of those circular-smokey-thingies to repel mosquitoes, but it would work for me! Same thing with the noise of the power tools.
I like to rent romantic comedies from netflix, too. Pop one of those in, then go out to the shop. You get at least a couple hours of relaxation out of one of those, you can even sit down. That's when I pull up a wiring schematic, or a plan of some kind on the computer. I show it to her and try to explain it while the movie's on. She gives me dirty looks, and I say "I'm going to give this a shot." Then I have a reason to bring the computer out with me, and I come talk to you folks. I think it's the secret to a long term marriage.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:14 am

That's when I pull up a wiring schematic, or a plan of some kind on the computer. I show it to her and try to explain it while the movie's on.
Brilliant.
At a job I had, we used to take text documents and switch the editor into hexadecimal mode, displaying lots of numbers letters and dots strung together, then pretend that we were pouring over them and understanding some deep inner workings of the computer by looking at them. Unfortunately we weren't very good at keeping a straight face, so it didn't last long.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

Major Malfunction
Has No Life
Custom Title: Dérailleur Énigmatique

Post by Major Malfunction » Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:24 am

Ye olde Boss Button.
This being was produced using the same process as other beings, and therefore, may contain traces of nuts.