At last!! The answer to "is he or ain't he?"

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

At last!! The answer to "is he or ain't he?"

Post by nmblum88 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 5:48 pm

Today is publication day for Stephen Hawking's long awaited "Grand Design," which follows on his last offering that sort of begged the question of his atheism, and used the name "god" in suspicious (read acquiescent)terms.
But apparently (I haven't read it yet, but am on my way to either pick up a copy or just read the dirty parts standing up before a counter at a neighborhood Border's), no such thing: Hawking apparently is going to stick with his scorn of the preternatural.
IF, that is, the NYTimes (All the News that's Fit to Print) and its journalism is to be trusted.
Interesting article , however:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/books/08book.html?hpw

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Re: At last!! The answer to "is he or ain't he?"

Post by vanderpoel » Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 am

nmblum wrote:Today is publication day for Stephen Hawking's long awaited "Grand Design," which follows on his last offering that sort of begged the question of his atheism, and used the name "god" in suspicious (read acquiescent)terms.
But apparently (I haven't read it yet, but am on my way to either pick up a copy or just read the dirty parts standing up before a counter at a neighborhood Border's), no such thing: Hawking apparently is going to stick with his scorn of the preternatural.
IF, that is, the NYTimes (All the News that's Fit to Print) and its journalism is to be trusted.
Interesting article , however:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/08/books/08book.html?hpw

NMB
That was great, especially the fishbowl story.
My own distorted view is that Hawking could proof his theory on time by republishing a first edition of “A Brief History of Time”. If he can do that I'm willing to reconsider reincarnation.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"