Not a book, but a worthy read.......

Read any good books lately?
nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Not a book, but a worthy read.......

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:26 am

For anyone interested in (or worried about) the dilemma of maintaing the dignity and integrity of science in an arena of increasingly religious interference and demands, there is a very good article on the appointment by President Obama, and its attendant naysayers,of Dr, Francis Collins to head our flagship National Institutes of Health.

Collins is, or course, the born-again Evangelical Christian as well as world renowned geneticist who now, after the controversial appointment, employs and directs a scientific and medical research center , where only 7% of the staff of scientists... across the spectrum of scientific disciplines, profess to any religious beliefs whatever.

The prior appointment of Collins to head the Genome Project was controversial as well, and the realities, the politics, the emotions involved in the appointment is covered and effectively , by Peter J Boyer , in "the New Yorker" dated Sept. 06, 2010.. in a comprehensive article entitled.. "The Covenant."

Interesting, and thought provoking.... and important.
And I think it's available on line....

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."

OlegTheBatty
Has No Life
Custom Title: Uppity Atheist

Re: Not a book, but a worthy read.......

Post by OlegTheBatty » Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:45 am

. . . with the satisfied air of a man who thinks he has an idea of his own because he has commented on the idea of another . . . - Alexandre Dumas 'The Count of Monte Cristo"

There is no statement so absurd that it has not been uttered by some philosopher. - Cicero

.......................Doesn't matter how often I'm proved wrong.................... ~ bobbo the pragmatist

vanderpoel
Perpetual Poster

Re: Not a book, but a worthy read.......

Post by vanderpoel » Thu Sep 02, 2010 4:02 am

That's what we get for forming one nation under God.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"When you put a toucan on a monkey’s ass, don’t be fooled by the brightly colored plumage, beware of the enormous bill!"