Muslim Mafia?

Read any good books lately?
fromthehills
True Skeptic

Muslim Mafia?

Post by fromthehills » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:07 pm

I just heard about this book from Pat Condell, " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
one of my favorite atheist ranters.

Here's the book: http://www.amazon.com/Muslim-Mafia-Unde ... 1935071106" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I try to stay away from conspiracy theory, as I am prone to getting worked up over it, when it seems plausible. I understand that there's nothing to most of the alleged conspiracies out there, but that doesn't mean there's nothing to all of them.

I was wondering if anyone has read Muslim Mafia , or can lend some insight on how to research it's basis in reality, or if it's just another conspiracy theory made up to sell books.

Aztexan
King of the Limericks
King of the Limericks

Re: Muslim Mafia?

Post by Aztexan » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:24 pm

no more honor or thier secret codes
this mob's taken on new, different modes
it's rather bizarre
cuz instead of the car
the muslim's the one who explodes
trump is Putin's bitch

Jeff D
Frequent Poster

Post by Jeff D » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:45 pm

Cut through the marketing hyperbole, and I suspect there are more than a few kernels of truth. I don't have any independent evidence of the reporting / researching skills of authors Sperry and Gaubatz (There are probably thousands of federal agents and ex-federal agents, to say nothing of private contractors, who hold the highest-level security clearances).

I don't know whether the Council on American Islamic Relations (CAIR) is really a front for a pernicious cabal of terrorists. And in one sense, it doesn't matter.

It doesn't take a coordinated conspiracy to do serious damage, and to injure and kill people, when discrete and widely-dispersed Islamist / jihadist / irabah-ist groups throughout the world are operating according to very similar business plans and are motivated by essentialy the same murderous, poisonous ideology (Kill the infidels, kill the enemies of God, etc., and keep fighting until the entire mass of humanity surrenders and converts to Islam). It doesn't take a conspiracy when extremists like the American-born Anwar Al-Alwaki can spread his spoor via YouTube and other web sites.

I think I'll skip this Muslim Mafia book and just re-read Knowing the Enemy by Mary Habeck, The Crisis of Islam by Bernard Lewis, The Trouble With Islam Today by Irshad Manji, Murder in Amsterdam by Ian Buruma, The Looming Tower by Lawrence Wright, or Why I Am Not a Muslim by Ibn Warraq.

All of those books are even-handed in approach and well-researched, even though many of them come to rather fierce, stark, unpleasant-to-confront conclusions.
Jeff D

fromthehills
True Skeptic

Post by fromthehills » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:10 am

I did do a little reading, including this: http://www.huntingtonnews.net/columns/0 ... eview.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
which seems hardly worth mentioning, as it really seems like a promo rather than a critical look. But just in case there's an interest.

Lausten
Persistent Poster

Post by Lausten » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:02 pm

Two of my favorite topics, political correctness and skepticism, have a way of overlapping. First a little ad hominem, Pat Condell is a comedian, the opening of this video was enough to get me to shut if off, but I suffered through the whole thing just in case. He says he doesn't hate Muslims, and that anyone who accuses him of that needs to listen more carefully to what he says, then switches to name calling a few seconds later. In other words, "I don't hate them, they are just dopey boneheads".

Pat has political correctness confused with human rights. Anyone in America can start an organization and pretend to be whatever they want while either overtly or covertly advocating for the overthrow of the government. There are legal limits to that and Jeff could sort them out for you, but it is not that hard to legally speak and act against our government. This book seems to be old fashioned "America right or wrong" talk. The original quote, first spoke by a German born member of Lincoln's cabinet, whose name escapes me continues with "when right to be kept right, when wrong to be made right." That quote still only gets 10 hits on Google, even though it perfectly sums up the essence of the Constitution.

I'm not claiming that CAIR is doing any good work, and making America right, I'm claiming that they have the right to state their views, and attempt to recruit others to believe them. Obviously if they start strapping bombs to police cars, that is a different story. If you are going to allow people to dress up like Darth Vader and say the force is with them, you really have no choice but to allow CAIR to exist. To compete in the market place of ideas, you need good competing ideas, not just accusations of how bad their ideas are and what they lead to or what they "really" mean.

In the amazon.com introduction of this book, the product intro, not a user comment, it compares these investigators to the ones who infiltrated ACORN. Given what has come out about those kids, it seems almost tongue-in-cheek. In the title of the Huffington piece, note the key words "even if it takes them 100 years". Whenever I hear that, and I have heard it a few times in relation to Islamic extremism, I ask, "do you realize that the people saying that are not going to be alive in 100 years?" In other words, implicitly, they are saying, "we know we can't accomplish this in our lifetime, so we need to convince some younger people to be just as insane as we are, so they can continue this fruitless, meaningless, backwards fight that has more to do with how poorly we were raised than any true sense of value or morality."

When you look at that way, you could apply it to a few thousand Muslims living in caves, Dick Cheney, Rush Limbaugh or Pat Condell.
A sermon helper that doesn't tell you what to believe: http://www.milepost100.com

nmblum88
Has More Than 8K Posts

Post by nmblum88 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:02 pm

Wonders do not cease.
I think... in the unlikely event that I actually understand you... that I agree with you.

Americans should have the right to speak out against the government on matters great and small, to act collectively against government intrusions into Constitutional rights, and to demand redress of Constitutional (and any other) wrongs..
Of course, bearing arms AGAINST any government (our rights to be militiamen by virtue of the 2nd Amendment , notwithstanding) is unlikely to be looked at with tolerance and we have already seen the horrors (and incompetence) that government inflicts when threatened by what it even suspects is armed resurrection...
One of the worst consequences of social and political hysteria during periods of upheaval, either war or economic downturns is the clumsy ineptness with which government usually responds...
In the 20th century, (among many other examples) Hoover's raids on the Depression shanty towns... using the inordinate force of the military against the unarmed, the use of armed militia in the Coalfield Wars on behalf of the mine owners, and the protracted trial of Sacco and Vanzetti, clearly designed as an establishment warning to "foreign influences" in among the American Left all caused more eternal animosity than they solved any problems that existed in the societies of the time.
So one COULD say that they were impractical as well as unjust and a blot on the democracy that we are supposed to represent.

NMB
Skepticism:
" Norma, you poor sad lonely alcoholic. You entire life is devoted to interrupting other people's posts on this forum, regardless of the topic, to tell them what's wrong with them. The irony is, here you are doing it again, with this very post.
Your fanciful card games, movie sojourns and exciting overseas trips, that all take place within the four walls of an aged care retirement home, do not suggest your own children offered you the care, I gave my parents."