Old themes, very good new books.

Read any good books lately?
Jon Richfield

Old themes, very good new books.

Post by Jon Richfield » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:46 am

In no special order, a few seriously worthwhile items out of my skull, that nearly drove me out of my skull. Most of them recent, but I might return later with others, older. All are well written, but some need slow reading because they are full, full, full, of thoughts.

Come to think of it, how about "Fragments of Science" by John Tyndall, one of the greatest (not most intense, but having the quality of greatness; he was in my estimation one of the finest popular writers on science ever, not to mention a fine spirit and a fine mind and researcher) skeptics ever. The book is available in several places on line, including Gutenberg, free for download.

Dawkins, Richard, The Greatest Show on Earth

Pinker, Stephen The Stuff of Thought

Poulsen Gary Winterdance : Entertaining, but/and very informative.

Piper, Ross: An extraordinary young writer, sound, versatile, balanced, entertaining, articulate, and literate. Try eg: Fingerprint Wizards, Extraordinary Animals, Survivors, and Extinct Animals.

Goldstein Rebecca : Why do we hear so little of her; she is seriously imposing. Try Betraying Spinoza and 36 Arguments for the Existence of God: A Work of Fiction.