Plato--yep, the oldies but goodies

Read any good books lately?
gypsy
Poster
Custom Title: Always on the move

Plato--yep, the oldies but goodies

Post by gypsy » Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:45 am

Not exactly hot off the presses but Plato's Republic and 5 dialogues are currently on my reading now list. The questions regarding the support of and intentions of the gods (by Socrates via Plato of course) still relevant today, which I find fascinating. What sort of confuses me however is the flip-flopping on whether one is to please the gods or not, and just what is supposed to please the gods in the first place.

Most intriguing to me however is the question of morality/virtue and obeying laws/gov't.

A nice mix up from the modern day arguments, a little taste of something different.
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion. – Steven Weinberg

stegner00

Re: Plato--yep, the oldies but goodies

Post by stegner00 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:28 pm

I've had that book for many years now but I haven't read it yet. I guess it's because I see it as a "heavy" book. I'm afraid I might not be able to fully understand it and I might have to read it for a long time. Hahaha ! I think the "heaviest" book I've read is "Social Contract" by Rousseau.

Sleeper

Re: Plato--yep, the oldies but goodies

Post by Sleeper » Wed May 05, 2010 6:38 am

Spoiler alert: Socrates dies at the end. :P

I thought it was interesting that Socrates was unable to support the idea of an immortal soul. When Socrates, being about to be put to death, says that the soul is an invisible immaterial thing that cannot be destroyed, a student objects that harmony is both immaterial and short-lived. Socrates just kind of waves his hands and says that the soul isn't really like harmony.